Do walleyes Imprint?

MicLee

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heres a new subject for us to kick around. I think everybody is aware that certain species of fish Imprint. That is, come back to the same natal waters they were hatched in from the egg. All the andromonous (spelling?) species, such as Salmon and Steelhead are born with this ability. And even though there is no scientific evidence that walleyes Imprint, I believe they do. I don't think in many cases as strongly as the "Salmo" species do though. Any thoughts on this matter?

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Out of curiosity, you say they don't imprint as strongly as salmonids, would you care to expand on that? To me, a fish is either imprinted or it isn't, there's no two ways about it.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good question , I wouldn't doubt that at least some of them do and others might be many miles away by the next spring. I read a few times where fish were were tagged in one area and caught a year or two later quite a few miles away. I forget how many miles but it was a bunch, Different states even.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say no I've seen walleyes swim up ditches in the spring when there is high run off that have not had water in them before.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75