• With others

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • Don't care - I'm hunting either way!

Votes: 28 31.1%

• Total voters

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I like to big game hunt alone because I often find myself preoccupied with the other hunter's desires (empathy?). If I want to glass, I'll glass.... still hunt... I'll still hunt. Relocate - or take a nap - I do it. I get to focus 100% on the hunt.

Pheasant hunting can go either way. Ducks/geese are WAY funner with others.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Other than bow hunting, I like to go with others, and even in bow hunting, the prep part is fun with buddies.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whitetail by myself normally, get to make my decisions as guy says. It is nice hunting in the same area as my buddies though so we can exchange info afterwards. Have sat in the bow blind and both of us tagged out 30 seconds apart once so that was fun.
Pheasant is normally just me and the dog but is fun with others
waterfowl have only hunted with a group so.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Mostly alone, that way if I screwup I have only my self to blame. If the wifes along I blame her, but just a little.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't mind the company with friends, but do enjoy rooster hunting alone with my dog a lot. Something about being out chasing roosters with just her and me, with me following where her nose may lead us versus pushing a field a certain way or direction when others are with.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Prefer to hunt with my old man, but anything after that I prefer to be alone unless i'm hunting pheasant (cuz I don't have a bird dog).

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I enjoy hunting with a buddy once in a while but hunting alone is my favorite. I can do as I like with no one bitching about how fast or slow I'm going or whether or not I'm taking or not taking breaks. Sometimes I just want to sit and enjoy being out in the middle of nowhere.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mostly depends on how long the trip is going to be. For day-hunts or a weekend, I am happy either way. When the hunt length begins to extend past that, my list of acceptable/agreeable hunting partners becomes exponentially shorter. Several times while elk hunting when the weather is gorgeous and I don't have a group bedded to stalk on, I'm quite happy to nap in the sun. That doesn't mean chat about the meaning of life and solve all the world's problems, that means take a nap in the sun and fresh air.

I've got 2 frequent hunting partners that I know I can travel anywhere, hunt anything, and just have a good time with. No jealousy if one guy fills a tag and the other doesn't. No rushing to get something killed before the other guy. No wondering about if the guy is gonna get rip-torn and be hungover for days on end. Just a thoroughly enjoyable trip where the only thing that anyone is really thinking about is maximizing fun.

If I'm being truthful, another major factor regarding a hunting partner, is, can they tolerate ME for any length of time as well. I'm heavily sarcastic, strongly opinionated, and I know that my personality can wear on other folks in a hell of a hurry sometimes too.

The one critter I can truly say that I prefer to hunt alone (with the dog though) is ruffed grouse. I prefer not to have to worry about shooting lanes, staying in line, etc. Just follow the dog and shoot what he flushes.

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really enjoy having company hunting but my hunting buddies are often unavailable; single guys chasing women late into the night or married friends with young kids. I have been going just the dog and I lately. It is really peaceful, less about bagging lots of birds, and completely on my own timeline (or my wife's). Either way is great but I always do send out an invite out of courtesy.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
With 3 little ones at home I use hunting and fishing as a way to catch up with friends and family. While I used to love pheasant hunting with just me and the pup, I just don't have the same time. Bow hunting is still alone unless I have one of the older 2 with me. LOL Then it is answering questions about what just made that noise.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really cherish my time and the solitude of hunting alone but I also enjoy helping others learn more about hunting and fishing and enjoy taking youngsters friends out and being involved in teaching them about the outdoors. I will take and enjoy anything that gets me outdoors by myself or the experience of helping others and learning for others. Just happy I can still be outdoors and hope for many more years of it to come. dukgnfsn

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
I actually have reached the point where I like to go with a few buddies for big game - I only hunt with people I have known for a long time and am comfortable with them in the field from a safety point of view. The fun for me is the planning up front - I enjoy putting the menu's together and getting all the supplies. I usually set up camp and am there for a week or two so buddies come and go throughout the weeks. If it's upland or waterfowl I also like a group - it more about catching up than it is about killing anything.

m77hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got a pretty short list of friends (cousins) I like to hunt with, we're usually on the same page as far as what we're doing. Other than that I prefer to hunt alone.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really enjoy hunting pheasants by myself and just letting the dog go where she wants, zig-zagging around--sometimes even going backwards to find a rooster that slipped around us.

Grizzly Adams

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hunt alone for pretty much everything except coyotes. And coyote hunting it just me and my brother and our real good buddy

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
alone or with my kid. Back country or long trip a few people so if shit goes south i might live

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
mostly hunt alone, used to have a buddy that I hunted birds with a lot but his dog died and he kind of got of it. used to hunt deer with family but the lack of tags pretty much do that by myself not too.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 51
  • This month: 50
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 35