Does anyone here target carp?

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the loop to loop, I got tired of salvaging the cracked and broken garbage loops Rio allowed off the manufacturing floor for at least two years, possibly more. Switched back to Scientific Angler fly lines and started making my own loops for saltwater and carpwater applications. It's easy, and removes the concern about those microcracks right at the connection point.

http://flyfishingresearch.net/images/HISPANICA_LOOPS_.pdf

Lando

Established Member
That's nice. I have just used Veevus 150 tying thread, but I will have to give that a shot. I have lost the loop on a few fly lines; sinking, not floating, but I can see that braided line be very beneficial for carp fishing. I need to get one of those splicing needle tools, but everything looks pretty easy. Thanks.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Other than a leech mentioned, any good fly patterns to tie for carp? I just started tying and enjoy the few minutes a night tying up a fly or two.

Lando

Established Member
Anything that will ride hook-point up and has some marabou. It's all about what bait is in the lake. I have had luck on leeches, crawdads, damsel patterns, and even stuff that looks like crap. The biggest thing is letting them see they fly without spooking them or the rest of their friends. Here is an article with 15 different patterns to consider.

https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/the-15-best-carp-flies/152079

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76