Moving to the Jamestown Area

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In about a month I'll be moving from McClusky and into the Jamestown area. I'll miss that canal a lot... only 5 min from my house and I've caught nearly every species of fish out of it. Easy to fish and I'd get down there nearly 4 nights a week. Smallmouth bass heaven, which keeps the kids entertained and the walleye class has been growing over the last few years. Kept a lot of nice eaters out of the certain areas of that canal this last year. Be more than happy to share my techniques, and locations for the area.

What i'm really looking for is ice and summer fishing tips for Crappie. Never done it, but i'd love to get into it with the Reservoir and Pipestem being my new home area. Recommended lures/bait? Structure to target?

James river - Anyone ever fish this, any tips or just general success stories for walleye or pike?

I'd ask about walleye/perch lakes but I intend to make my way around to most them in the area, small or big, with either my pontoon or kayak.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
That canal sure is a pleasure to fish. I try to make my way there a couple times a year. Good luck with the move. I'm of no help in the jamestown area.

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pipestem can have good crappies. I think it's cyclic. Great for a year, then decreases, then increases, then great again. My best luck with crappies is working turns of the river channel.
As for the reservoir, there's lots of points and a windy river channel. Every now and then I found crappies there, but for the most part it was an evening walleye bite after we got our crappies on Pipestem.
As for lures I didn't find any magical trick. Just a wolfram, genz worm, etc.. and spikes. For walleyes, a minnow head and buckhot spoon it tough to beat regardless of water body.

KiYi

Founding Member
Founding Member
The reservoir is loaded with crappies. Mostly 7-10 inchers though. Punch a bunch of holes, find em, and have fun!

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cant speak of anything real current but I went to college there many moons ago and had decent ice outings to spiritwood for smallies and walleyes. they might have crappie too, not too sure. The hurricane 40s were always too good to care that much. Anybody know if there are any Zandar still swimming around in there?

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That canal sure is a pleasure to fish. I try to make my way there a couple times a year. Good luck with the move. I'm of no help in the jamestown area.

Agree on the canal. It's either highly underrated, or just not talked about or fished enough. I found some real hot spots in there and nothing ever came close to it's consistency of catching several species of fish.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cant speak of anything real current but I went to college there many moons ago and had decent ice outings to spiritwood for smallies and walleyes. they might have crappie too, not too sure. The hurricane 40s were always too good to care that much. Anybody know if there are any Zandar still swimming around in there?
Spiritwood had the Zander.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The res has been good for crappies this year --- some waldos and northerns ---- we pirated a spot the last time --- never was a part of the day in which a crappie was not visable on the camera. Sometimes they wouldnt bite - but when they did all holes were down. It was fun and it made the day go fast. They bit until we left - completely dark and they were still biting. After a while it did remind me of sunfishin. It did get old.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Gladstone has a great lunch buffet.

IDK bar is the cats meow.

RIP White Cloud.

Deep Forks

Founding Member
Founding Member
'The Hitch'... little dive/blue collar bar on the west end of town. $1 tap beers all day everyday, and the strongest mixed drinks around.

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the Brass Rail as good now as it was with Rosie mixing the teas? there was a couple nights I had to sleep in my car

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh boy am I observant, I get to Jamestown several times a year. The last time I was there I felt old so I really never even look when I drive by. My Wife grew up in Jamestown and one of her sisters and mom still live there.
Back to fishing lol,
I drug the boat down last summer a couple of times and did good with the Crappies on the west side of five mile and a little to the north.
And nice bass at Spititwood

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
BRK you ever have luck catching sMallies in the canal during the winter?

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
BRK you ever have luck catching sMallies in the canal during the winter?

Only fished it once in the winter, last March. Pulled a couple damn nice perch out. I'm going to ice fish it a couple times here before we move, i'll let you know how i do. Just figured winter was my chance to finally explore more lakes where i couldn't get in the kayak or boat, so i never focused on the canal in the winter.

rhino2003

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used to fish the canal when I lived in Bismarck. Always loved fishing it and usually had good success.

Crappie fishing is good here but I haven't had much success with walleye.

I'd also like to hear some tips on fishing the James River. Would like to try fishing it more since it's right in town.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88