Dog Food Thread

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where is the best/cheapest place to buy the Canidae?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for the cost breakdown. If I can feed my hunting dog for a year under 200$ each I'm a happy guy.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
purina pro plan sensitive skin and stomach (black and pink bag)

dog didnt have a sensitive stomach, but had some SUPER MINOR 'hot spots'

they're gone now, poops less, eats less.

the dogfood smells slightly fishy

he seems to like it, toddler seems to like it. WIN WIN

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
They have Canidae at Gold Medal Feeds, too. I asked what the price was last month and seem to recall it was $42-43, with tax. I pay $41, with tax, right now for Chicken Soup.

They also told me that Canidae is their best seller.

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took our pup to the vet last week to get a vaccine schedule set up and asked about food recommendations. He said that as long as it says complete and balanced they are all equal. After that it comes down to what your dog likes. So after asking the question i'm still just as lost on what to feed her as i was before.

That's an honest vet! People who think the more expensive the dog food is the better it is are usually just making themselves feel good while the dog would do just as well on road kill. I'm sure I'll be considered an animal abuser but my dog has been on Walmart's Old Roy Complete dog food since I got her as a one year old and she turned 14 in September. She still bounces around like a five year old and hunted for me this fall. I may have fed something different if I hadn't been an animal nutritionist for many years and understood that the source of the nutrient isn't nearly as important as the correct balance of nutrients. Many of the expensive dog foods are overkill as far as nutrients and they pray on our idea that animals know the difference between a corn/soy/chicken meal feed and one with lamb/peas. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Old Roy is a top of the line dog food, I'm just saying it's plenty good for the majority of dogs.

CJR

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently switched my golden from canidae all life stages to their platinum formula. Sams getting old and the pounds were adding up on him. The platinum helps keep the weight off and has added condroutin and glucosamine for his hips. Both are great! I get it at the healthy dog center down on Hannifin st. They are usually a buck or so less than gold label.

k9guy82

Founding Member
Founding Member
The military feeds there dogs Science Diet...however that stuff is mad expensive. I feed my dogs Chicken Soup For the Soul brand.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had my dog on nutri source until she got hit and lost some of her top teeth. I had to switch to a food with larger pieces so they don't get stuck up by her gums. Now she gets blue wilderness. I upped her portions slightly because of the density of food she was getting after going to the bigger pieces but it's good now. She eats 1 3/4 cups twice a day and poops twice a day, about an hour after she eats. Good for me.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's an honest vet! People who think the more expensive the dog food is the better it is are usually just making themselves feel good while the dog would do just as well on road kill. I'm sure I'll be considered an animal abuser but my dog has been on Walmart's Old Roy Complete dog food since I got her as a one year old and she turned 14 in September. She still bounces around like a five year old and hunted for me this fall. I may have fed something different if I hadn't been an animal nutritionist for many years and understood that the source of the nutrient isn't nearly as important as the correct balance of nutrients. Many of the expensive dog foods are overkill as far as nutrients and they pray on our idea that animals know the difference between a corn/soy/chicken meal feed and one with lamb/peas. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Old Roy is a top of the line dog food, I'm just saying it's plenty good for the majority of dogs.

No, you can feed 'em whatever you choose to. I can attest, though, that going up in brands was REALLY NOTICEABLE within a few weeks. Yeah, I pay $100 extra a year but what I see in return:
1) Less shedding, LOTS less
2) Less poop (more absorption)
3) Don't have to serve as much food (fillers require more food going in)

I did start with Purina One. Then I moved up to Purina Pro Plan. Now i'll stick with Chicken Soup or Canidae because there's zero human ingredients (chemicals, byproducts, or coloring) or filler products.

Some humans don't mind McDonalds every day of their life.... I just prefer not to.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used Taste of the Wild (usually lamb)with my Brit and he loves it, no issues at all. I sometimes use different flavors as treats. Lately he has been going wild over the venison flavor. I too used the website mentioned earlier when I was researching different brands to use. I know Taste of the Wild is only 4 star but I found the ingredients and ratio of protein etc... to be similar. I started with the puppy feed first and have moved on to adult food. My Brit is 14 months and works like a dog in the field.... no pun intended

overall they get a 4 star rating. but, a couple of their adult and their puppy formula get 5 stars. if memory serves, its the higher protein ones.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31