Dove Opener!!!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Eggwash then coat with half smashed roasted sunflower seeds. Saute to medium. Something magical about fowl accompanied by your fowl's food. Ha ha ha.

no kidding - it's awesome - pair with mashed taters and roast root veggies (carrots, parsnips, what have you)

DROOL

- - - Updated - - -

Half smashed means try to achieve mostly kosher salt sized particles or larger of sunflower seeds

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a little salt and medium rare on the grill with a piece of hickory in there.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wanna get me one of them collared doves this year. I hear'em callin' all the time, but when huntin' season rolls around they make themselves scarce or move to town.

They are thick down here in the cut wheat fields.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never seen one outside of an urban area except in the Sandbox. Perhaps they're starting to over-populate and beginning to spread. From my "observations"; they don't seem to have much interest in co-mingling with pigeon. Wonder where they roost Kurt?

- - - Updated - - -

Mainly for Guy--looks good to me! (skip to 2:40)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RguOb1Qv_wU

Last edited:

Lou63

Founding Member
Founding Member
when I was a kid I had the perfect spot, I layed on a hillside facing north, creek in the bottom and dead trees for them to land in by the creek, on the other side of the creek was a wild mary jane patch and for some reason they would fill up and fly really slow making them easy to shoot with my old 20 gauge

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
What time of day is the best time to see a decent amount of doves?

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey Lou Begga, did you ever pick anything in that weed patch?

when I was a kid I had the perfect spot, I layed on a hillside facing north, creek in the bottom and dead trees for them to land in by the creek, on the other side of the creek was a wild mary jane patch and for some reason they would fill up and fly really slow making them easy to shoot with my old 20 gauge

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
What time of day is the best time to see a decent amount of doves?

Be on stand at sunrise and sunset. The rest of the day is for lunch or jump shooting tree rows/patches. During your walks if you find Russian olive, grain, water and a few dead trees set up until dark.

.``
`

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Be on stand at sunrise and sunset. The rest of the day is for lunch or jump shooting tree rows/patches. During your walks if you find Russian olive, grain, water and a few dead trees set up until dark.

.``
`

I find that it's totally dependent on how you're hunting, what they're keying on, decoys or pass shooting, water, forage, etc.

If it's a calm day and it's been stable weather I would say the morning/evening thing is generally true - but windy days, transition weather days, etc. can be red hot at noon or all day.

Hunt when you can!

- - - Updated - - -

Example: in some of our spots you might as well head home around 6 - she's winding down (spots are food-based)

Because they are then focusing on grist/water/roost.

- - - Updated - - -

Imagine some fun shooting with this wind. Would like to be out when it calms down in a day or 2

what are local numbers like now? I'm headed to Killdeer area this weekend.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
He seemed like a new guy to this so I tried to put him on his own right path. Don't make me burn this bitch down.

Last edited:

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been seeing quite a few around Watford City and north, even up on the grasslands near the lake, have not been around Killdeer for weeks and weeks but inagine you will be fine.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm starting to believe there's a resident population of mourning dove and American robin.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_20160901_201905910.jpg

Well he got his first dove tonight. Looks like it is time for his own shotgun.

Downrigger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got the new dog out for her first hunt. Not a lot of action in the wind but got her a few retrieves. 20160901_222258.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Magic Poodle got his makeover yesterday and will be pursuing doves this weekend.

image.jpg

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

That's galwhofishes (Royce's manager). Yes, that's a smock. She used to be a dog groomer back in the day.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does she cut your hair too, My wife gives me the old buzz cut the end of spring and once middle of summer, then it grows wild till next spring. So white in color, full beard too, a little boy asked me if I was Santa about a week before Xmas. Kinda made me feel good.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
ive thought about keeping the hearts. I love pheasant heart. is there anything left after cooking lol?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84