Drones?

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
VD, thanx,opt out of avada because of the goggle deal,i would probably get vertigo and fall on my face flying the thing

Zeroing in on Mavic classic if its regular size i only find mini's not the pro,could careless about photography im looking for quality uav not just a plastic toy.
Don't kid yourself, the mini's are good... I've gotten some incredible footage with my mini.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't kid yourself, the mini's are good... I've gotten some incredible footage with my mini.
Agreed,friends have dji mini's but all agree issues in wind over 10 mph plus the regular size easier to observe line of site,mini dji are lite gray almost disappear at 100yds.

Haven't pulled the trigger yet but damn i put myself on the elevator,started out thinking a couple $100 for a toy but after watching these things in action like everything you get what you pay for,so ole snow gotta dig deep and it (uav) doesn't gp "boom" ugh

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an off-brand one that you don't need a phone it has a screen in the controller. I really liked it but I lost the charger for the controller and I can't find one that will charge it so I haven't been able to use it for a few years. It was a larger one and works well in the wind. The range of drones is my pet peeve. They can make them go a lot further and run way longer but they limit the use of them.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yup,look online at Best Buy .com or drone nerds

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting article on deer recovery using drones:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/hunting/drones-deer-recovery/

1707454190413.png

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hmmm,never shot a deer that didn't pile up in the bush .

Western praire ,great tool unless gayle type wind.

I suspect just a matter of time before they put the kibosh on these contraptions, hunters scouting even pushing deer with them, or buzing a slough duck hunting many uses plus alot of fun,slap speakers on,come in hot playing favorite tune.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member

I suspect just a matter of time before they put the kibosh on these contraptions, hunters scouting even pushing deer with them, or buzing a slough duck hunting many uses plus alot of fun,slap speakers on,come in hot playing favorite tune.
There are already laws in place in ND, at least for big game, that prohibit you from flying a drone during hunting season over your intended hunting area.

https://www.thedickinsonpress.com/n...-fish-prohibits-unmanned-aircraft-for-hunting

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Mavic Pro Zoom, and the smaller and older Mavic Air. The larger one has the new flight program which gives it a six mile range while the older air has a two mile range.
People that don't own drones have a lot of crazy ideas. Like the people who think you can shoot deer with a muzzle loader with a round ball at a thousand yards because it's a 50 cal like the military uses. That has lead to some ridiculous regulations. In March regulations will require remote location. Gov will be able to see your drone anytime you turn it on. Also there will be an app for everyone that will let them open the app and see any drone within a few miles, and the dumbest thing the location of the pilot.
Current regulations are you do not fly over 400 ft elevation, or more than 400 ft away. Out in open North Dakota that's rediculouse. What if your on your own farm or a relatives and they own eight sections. Before all the regulations I could fly around the pasture and check my brother in laws cattle.
I dont know why, but my Air only cost me $5 to register and my Mavic Pro cost $30.

I'm guessing those ridiculous regulations you speak of are intended for public safety and small aircraft. I always thought we would see terrorist using drones but haven't heard of any yet . It would be easy for someone to load one up and fly over a target and let it free fall. Think Super Bowl or some big event. If/when some dirty bugger ever tried that I'd want some sort of locater in place.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problem is when the locator gives them the location of the pilot. So often people using drones legally and respectfully are hastled by people with wild ideas about. drones. We have seen utube videos of what they call KARENS. A drone turns many people into a Karen.
I have flown fixed wing remote control that have the same capabilities you speak of Davey. An explosive could have been dropped on a crowd with remote fixed wing that I was familiar with in the 1960s. Now we want to restrict everyone but ourselves. Many freedom's come with the price of lunatics using them wrongly. Someone once said " he who gives up liberty for security will have neither".
I'm surprised someone doesn't murder someone with a car. Im surprised someone doesn't shoot someone. I'm surprised someone doesn't poison someone with readily available chemicals. I'm surprised someone doesn't use farm fertilizer to blow someone up, and the list goes on and on.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

That’s all already illegal. Almost every game department have regulations on drone use.

I think you are worrying about the wind way too much. We flew it a lot training dogs and there were less days we couldn’t than more.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm guessing those ridiculous regulations you speak of are intended for public safety and small aircraft. I always thought we would see terrorist using drones but haven't heard of any yet . It would be easy for someone to load one up and fly over a target and let it free fall. Think Super Bowl or some big event. If/when some dirty bugger ever tried that I'd want some sort of locater in place.
They have been using drones in the Middle East . That’s how the three soldiers just got killed . Search drone attack and you will have reading for days

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurtr arn't those military drones the size of a small private aircraft? The pictures I have seen are of mostly rocket propelled and with little control once they are launched. I know Iran has some more sophisticated drones since we "accidentally" crashed one of ours in Iran during the Obama administration. Sort of how China started producing stealth aircraft after having to leave a stealth chopper behind when we hit Bin Laden -------- during the Obama/ China Joe administration.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurtr arn't those military drones the size of a small private aircraft? The pictures I have seen are of mostly rocket propelled and with little control once they are launched. I know Iran has some more sophisticated drones since we "accidentally" crashed one of ours in Iran during the Obama administration. Sort of how China started producing stealth aircraft after having to leave a stealth chopper behind when we hit Bin Laden -------- during the Obama/ China Joe administration.
Depends on the application but they used a bunch of little ones it doesnt take much ordnance to blow people up. If you look at the commercial drones they use for survey they are damn big. I think one of the biggest drone survey companies are out of ND cant remember their name. They do hydrological surveys and a bunch of cool mapping for farmers and even estimates on how much dirt will need to be moved for construction projects

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hear that by next year DJI will have LIDAR in their small drones. It would be great because it scares the crap out of you when your on the other side of a lake and you think your still six feet off the ground and the darn thing lands before you can react.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The problem is when the locator gives them the location of the pilot. So often people using drones legally and respectfully are hastled by people with wild ideas about. drones. We have seen utube videos of what they call KARENS. A drone turns many people into a Karen.
I have flown fixed wing remote control that have the same capabilities you speak of Davey. An explosive could have been dropped on a crowd with remote fixed wing that I was familiar with in the 1960s. Now we want to restrict everyone but ourselves. Many freedom's come with the price of lunatics using them wrongly. Someone once said " he who gives up liberty for security will have neither".
I'm surprised someone doesn't murder someone with a car. Im surprised someone doesn't shoot someone. I'm surprised someone doesn't poison someone with readily available chemicals. I'm surprised someone doesn't use farm fertilizer to blow someone up, and the list goes on and on.
I know one thing for sure, I'd be mighty pissed off too if some unknown person was watching me with a drone. What about you ?

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That’s all already illegal. Almost every game department have regulations on drone use.

I think you are worrying about the wind way too much. We flew it a lot training dogs and there were less days we couldn’t than more.
Agreed kurt, i landed on the dji mavic3 classic over kill but i can learn.

Training my pup,agreed drone is a useful tool my plan as well infact this larger copter im adding a spot light and loud speaker anxious to get this contraption in the air.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you buy the Mavic make sure you buy the DJI RC Remote, then you can use your phone for what ever

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you buy the Mavic make sure you buy the DJI RC Remote, then you can use your phone for what ever
Good call and i did,spendy thing,comes with fly app already downloaded but gotta find a wifi hot spot to pair copter to controller, im clueless how but jumping in feet first.

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup, so many people lose their minds and get so defensive just at the thought of a drone. If I had a dollar for every time I heard, "If I saw that thing even near me I'd shoot it down..." Well sir, #1. That's a felony, please don't do that. #2. I'm just doing my job surveying your neighbors land, or taking pictures for your neighbor to list their house for sale, or inspecting the neighbors roof for insurance, etc.... I have zero interest spying on you with my drone. I'd rather finish my job, pack up, and go home to my family.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88