Drones?

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
In case i missed a previous discussion, my apologies up front.

Got a hair up my ass to purchase one,im all about quality so spendy a few extra $ is okay.

Recommendations? Im not techy at all so o n e that's child proof for beginners long range is a must as well as flight time,camera one that can handle moderate wind...

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dji drones are the ones I have experience with and they are easy to fly. You have to make sure to get ones under a certain amount of grams so you don’t need a license. The mini 2 is the one my friend had.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanx kurtr for chiming in,l seen your drone video field hunting,sweet,curious about wind? Issues?

I looked at the dji both mini and regular size,im a little gun shy purchasing one online as far ad assembly and operation, plan on sniffing around town to find a tech geek to walk me through operation from front start to finish

looks like drone prices are all over the board from $100,im guessing I'll pony up $1to2k for quailty, cameras range and battery life.
Dji drones are the ones I have experience with and they are easy to fly. You have to make sure to get ones under a certain amount of grams so you don’t need a license. The mini 2 is the one my friend had.

Last edited:

grumster

★★★★ Legendary Member
I had a Dji Pro, wind can certainly be an issue especially on the smaller units. The Pro was rated for up to 20mph but it was a bit sketchy flying it in that kind of wind. 2 batteries to me is a must, I had 3.

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
DJI Mini 2 SE here (model has been replaced by the Mini 3). The kid has crashed it a few times and it keeps on ticking. If I had to do it again I would go up one level to the Mini 4 get the obstacle detection. Wouldn't worry about a tech geek - watch a few YouTube videos and you'll know everything you need. They really are pretty simple to operate. Pretty amazing technology for $500 or so.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Than
DJI Mini 2 SE here (model has been replaced by the Mini 3). The kid has crashed it a few times and it keeps on ticking. If I had to do it again I would go up one level to the Mini 4 get the obstacle detection. Wouldn't worry about a tech geek - watch a few YouTube videos and you'll know everything you need. They really are pretty simple to operate. Pretty amazing technology for $500 or so.
Thanx for the review,i don't have a puter so video's on my phone is a challenge, contacted one of my old employees, college kid,tech geek,we're heading out tomorrow to check things out,"blackhawk" is another drone im considering, 9 mile range,24 pixel camera,downside is down loading phone pair app,i perfer not to use cell phone if possible, im kinda birdie purchasing one,i better chill some.

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
If using your phone for video display while flying, make sure it fits in the bracket properly. Mine keeps popping out randomly. Second grumster's point, wind can be an issue with smaller units. Had a couple concerning moments with one at work having a hard time returning to base because of wind gusts.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good points OD,so the mini dji might have issues eh?

I looked at dji 3 and4 online,dimensions seem to big,length,width dunno,gotta find a drone store to kick tires

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Goggles,i see the dji avata requires goggles to activate rig? For close in observing i would like to eyeball this uav.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Goggles,i see the dji avata requires goggles to activate rig? For close in observing i would like to eyeball this uav.
You will need a license for that one . Has to be under 250 grams to not need the license

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Mavic Pro Zoom, and the smaller and older Mavic Air. The larger one has the new flight program which gives it a six mile range while the older air has a two mile range.
People that don't own drones have a lot of crazy ideas. Like the people who think you can shoot deer with a muzzle loader with a round ball at a thousand yards because it's a 50 cal like the military uses. That has lead to some ridiculous regulations. In March regulations will require remote location. Gov will be able to see your drone anytime you turn it on. Also there will be an app for everyone that will let them open the app and see any drone within a few miles, and the dumbest thing the location of the pilot.
Current regulations are you do not fly over 400 ft elevation, or more than 400 ft away. Out in open North Dakota that's rediculouse. What if your on your own farm or a relatives and they own eight sections. Before all the regulations I could fly around the pasture and check my brother in laws cattle.
I dont know why, but my Air only cost me $5 to register and my Mavic Pro cost $30.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s actually line of sight there is no designated distance away. Going to the faa website will have all the information.

VDAWG

Founding Member
Founding Member
Regardless of range you need to keep it within line of sight. It gets sketchy flying any drone in wind over 20mph. Just use common sense when and where you fly. Be sure you get one that is compatible with remote ID, that is the newest law that the FAA is rolling out. Don't be stupid with it. Be respectful, know the laws(there are a lot more than most people realize), and fly safe. One idiot can ruin it for everyone.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
It’s actually line of sight there is no designated distance away. Going to the faa website will have all the information.
It's been a while since I have been flying and forgot the line of sight. Don't know where I come up with 400 ft. Time for binocs on a tripod.😁
I think the remote I'd was put off until March 24, but maybe I'm screwed up with that too.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It's been a while since I have been flying and forgot the line of sight. Don't know where I come up with 400 ft. Time for binocs on a tripod.😁
I think the remote I'd was put off until March 24, but maybe I'm screwed up with that too.
Ive read the 400 max ceiling is for recreational use uav's can fly below this ceiling w/o faa registration,true?

Also,unit im considering has a 6 mile range but only operates with goggles on,unit is "dji avert,package includes a nifty joy stick controller,goggles ,not keen on the goggle requirement,i like the line of site for certain applications.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You will need a license for that one . Has to be under 250 grams to not need the license
Hmmm,step down is dji 3,

Whats the down side needing a license? Other than big brother watching.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmmm,step down is dji 3,

Whats the down side needing a license? Other than big brother watching.
You have to take the drone pilots class and pass it. They are going to be watching regardless it’s electronic I would guess they have endless access to videos of all the people with drones.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Guess ill scale down my toy,thats all i want the uav for,field hunting and just messing with friends in the hood and ice fishing,a quality camera + thats all.

Got a suggestion for a different model?

Buddy has a 4 yr old drone cheap model $75 unit,he sets waypoints with drone around his 120 arce plot for deer hunting, every morning he releases his drone to run a property line check for deer,unit comes back and lands itself on its pad,pretty cool if true,his uav is water proof as well.

Can these uav's be used at night? Spot light? Cant find answers online.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You have to take the drone pilots class and pass it. They are going to be watching regardless it’s electronic I would guess they have endless access to videos of all the people with drones.
Kurt,i sniffed around regs for dji avada regs state if using this uav just for recreation no part #107 license is required however business or commercial use,yes faa test required,but ill look to down grade,so many options to choose from,would like my unit to range out at least a couple miles,gps and camera a must,iwas fired up about the dji avata until this goggle issue popped up,ill save some $ down seizing as this dji avata base price $1200 with battery and goggles ($200 for goggles separate)
Open to other suggestions to dji uav's

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93