Drywall Finishing

1bigfokker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you be happier with smooth vs texture, takes a little more effort . Don't use any nails to hang the sheetrock, screws are best.

andyb15

Established Member
I think you be happier with smooth vs texture, takes a little more effort . Don't use any nails to hang the sheetrock, screws are best.

Yes, screws will be used for sure! I can tell a few spots in the upstairs of my house where the nails have popped and i don't want to deal with that anymore than i have to.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know of a plumber that may be willing to do what you ask (he does it on the side from his plumbing job) and have contact info for a taper and texture. I'll ping them to see if they would be interested. No idea on HVAC, but the plumber might know someone.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Note, some tape and texture people are really finicky about doing the work on owner-installed sheetrock.

Reason for this is because they are concerned that if you didn't hang the sheetrock correctly, you will blame them if the seams crack, etc. You should alternate seams when hanging sheetrock as best you can (thinking ceiling especially) to help prevent this.

Anyway, that's what a few mudders have told me. I did my own a few years ago on an 1100 sqft basement. Everyone should do the mudding at least once. That way they will know why it's money well spent, even if they do know how to hang it.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When I was still in the drywall finishing business I never gave a sq ft price if the owner did his own hanging. I always looked at it first. Joints staggered the right way, if right screws were used, excess but joints, like stopping on both sides of doorway and then fitting a small piece above door. Gaps around electric boxes, gaps between sheets, gaps between wall and ceiling. there is a lot of variables and no you dont just fill a half inch gap with mud and expect it not to crack later. Worst drywall hanger I ever worked for was a surgeon. I think he took his frustration out on sheetrock and I told him so. Had a farmer call me once to come and tape, texture and paint his sons new house. When I got there, there was a wheelbarrow in the garage with sheet rock scrapes in it. 1400 sq ft house and that was all the scrap they had. Walked through the house and told them good luck finding someone and that I did taping and texturing and not plastering

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
any tips for hanging 1/4" drywall where paneling was previously? (over the top of 1/2" with some leftover crusty adhesive)

Last edited:

andyb15

Established Member
When I was still in the drywall finishing business I never gave a sq ft price if the owner did his own hanging. I always looked at it first. Joints staggered the right way, if right screws were used, excess but joints, like stopping on both sides of doorway and then fitting a small piece above door. Gaps around electric boxes, gaps between sheets, gaps between wall and ceiling. there is a lot of variables and no you dont just fill a half inch gap with mud and expect it not to crack later. Worst drywall hanger I ever worked for was a surgeon. I think he took his frustration out on sheetrock and I told him so. Had a farmer call me once to come and tape, texture and paint his sons new house. When I got there, there was a wheelbarrow in the garage with sheet rock scrapes in it. 1400 sq ft house and that was all the scrap they had. Walked through the house and told them good luck finding someone and that I did taping and texturing and not plastering

I'm certainly not opposed to paying someone to also hang the drywall. I'm guessing a pro wouldn't take real long to hang drywall in a 1200 sq ft basement.

andyb15

Established Member
Any suggestions on insulating between the floors? I want to dampen some of the noise between the two floors.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any suggestions on insulating between the floors? I want to dampen some of the noise between the two floors.

They sell batts of insulation for that. Easy work unless you have can lights and a lot of wiring to work around.

Perch_herder

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I can be of assistance. I have attached a decision making flowchart. Marriage variable is not included. If married, go to the HIRE box immediately, no further discussion needed.
diy-infographic2-853x1024.jpg
I have two bedrooms and closets in my basement that I just hung drywall in. I'm planning on doing the finish work myself, but dreading it.....anyone have an idea of what a company might charge to tape and texture it? two 11x11 bedrooms with 3x7 closets.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 32
  • This month: 32
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 17
  • This month: 14
  • This month: 12