Dusty Truck Box

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 2015 F150. If I go down a gravel road with the tonneau cover on, the dust that accumulates in the box is incredible. That really sucks when my ice fishing gear is in the box. It’s less dusty with the cover rolled up. Does anyone else have this issue? Any solutions?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 2015 F150. If I go down a gravel road with the tonneau cover on, the dust that accumulates in the box is incredible. That really sucks when my ice fishing gear is in the box. It’s less dusty with the cover rolled up. Does anyone else have this issue? Any solutions?

yep mines the same way. My solution was I quit ice fishing other than that pretty hard to seal the boxes up

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
my 2017 gmc was horrible normally sealing the tail gate to the box with weather stripping cures 80 percent of the dust gmc was open under the box rail the full length. on my 2020 tundra sealing the tail gate cured the problem.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I Just keep my cover open on gravel. Tailgate seal was completely worthless on my gmc. I’m sure if a guy took the time to find all the little openings and seal them you could make it somewhat dust free, but who knows.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My last cover was really good as I had the ND made Access cover and their seal. My last Access cover with their seal is not good. They changed the seal, I assume it was $1 cheaper, so it made sense to them. Wonder if any of their employees like the new seal. The new seal you can buy from them is thinner so logically doesn't seal as tight.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sluggo, that truck accessories join on main in Bismarck by Napa has the seals. Don't leave any gaps between your pieces of seal and clean surfaces with alcohol before sticking them down. Mine works well, cut dust by 85% I'd guess.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a 2016 F-150 with a topper that is also terrible for dust. I had Radco reseal the topper and install their endgate seal. Minor improvement. And this was after I caulked the many gaps in the box. My late 70s Ford didn't have near the dust problem.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a 2016 F-150 with a topper that is also terrible for dust. I had Radco reseal the topper and install their endgate seal. Minor improvement. And this was after I caulked the many gaps in the box. My late 70s Ford didn't have near the dust problem.

I had a topper at one time and found dust was getting in the windows the most

Coldfront

Established Member
In 2015 Ford changed the tailgate on the bottom corners and is virtually impossible to seal. Here is what I did, first I bought black caulk to match the spray in liner and went around the box floor and sealed everything (park the truck facing down a slant and pour water in the box if it leaks reseal). Next, I bought round rubber plugs and filled all the holes on the inside of the stake pockets. Next, I bought ROK BLOCK tailgate cover and ESI tailgate seal ROK BLOCK: The ORIGINAL Tailgate Gap Cover . This helped a bunch. When I installed the ROK BLOCK seal (I hope this understandable) I cut it so that the part of the seal that attaches to the tailgate went all the way to the outside of the box. Basically there is a little flap that extends past the tailgate edge. I still get dust from my topper door but not bad.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sluggo, I know that you've mentioned this before. I haven't seen how dusty your truck gets.

I guess I lucked out. My 2014 Silverado with a tonneau cover is pretty good for dust. I haven't ever noticed a problem. That red Sierra that I had, had seals on the bottom and sides of the tailgate, and maybe I was just lucky, but that one wasn't dusty either. I never owned THAT truck without the tailgate seals, so I can't compare, but those seals seemed to do the trick.

I know too, there are usually some sort of drainage holes in the floor of the bed, near the cab. I wonder if that's not where the dust is coming in.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you dont care about looks get yourself a can of spray foam and have at every nook and cranny in the front of the box. Thats what I did and then put the tail gate kit on. Cut the dust by 90% at least. LB

snow1

★★★★★ Legendary Member
GM trucks have several moisture drain holes in front of the box,behind the cab so unless one drops a bedliner in or seals those holes,installing weather stripping around the tailgate is a fruitless effort,not sure about ford?

just a thought.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bedrug makes a huge difference IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

(full version)

I can confirm, this is true. I would argue it makes more of a difference than any tailgate sealing kits.
My last pickup had Access cover and sealing strips. Current pickup has Access cover, no sealing strips, and Bedrug. Current pickup = less dust.

I live on gravel.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had an idea at one time to run some kind of tubing or ducting from the grill area to the pickup bed. With the idea being to pressurize the bed with airflow from the front when driving. Never did do it but would think it would really cut down on the dust. Some one should market that. Lol.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can confirm, this is true. I would argue it makes more of a difference than any tailgate sealing kits.
My last pickup had Access cover and sealing strips. Current pickup has Access cover, no sealing strips, and Bedrug. Current pickup = less dust.

I live on gravel.

The BedRug has got so many other benefits too. My knees think it's the bee's knees.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 62
  • This month: 46
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19