Egg Strangeness

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well svn people can buy a feed grinder and make their own chicken feed, that's what we fed our laying chickens it was a barley (oats) corn mix plus a mineral vitamin supplement, Only time we bought chicken feed was when they were still chicks once they got to a certain size switched to a ground feed. This was for turkeys and broasting chicken also

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When i was young, in the summer, the chicken house was open in the morning, and the chickens went and ate whatever bugs they could find. Free range with a red tail hawk now and then. Wintertime they were kept locked up and fed wheat plus something to keep the shell hard.
Cleaning the house was an adventure with the smell not to mention the smell of a chicken being put in boiling water to get the feathers off.

Friday the egg carton and cream can was taken to town, ma got the check, and we spent the evening in town with the last stop the grocery store. Now and then would stop at DQ on way home. 5 cents for a regular cone and now and then 10 cents for chocolate dip. I remember one check being for around $26.

Not sure if there was any concern about the feed and how many eggs were produce. Ma would get mad when i and my brother would have egg fights.
And them there sitting hens who would not let me pick the eggs under there belly. Would pick the hell out of my hand every time i tried to get.

It was the way it was then.
And then milking. About 7-10 cows by hand, haul milk to kitchen, put in separator and haul most of the milk back to barn for calves. Cleaning separator took all morning but for me it was not a hand crane separator but run by electricity. Butter and ice cream was made.
Baby chickens were kept in house until they got older. dB

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the vid there is a section about diminished egg production and switching from commercial feed to local. I was trying to get "first hand" data.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Iffn Trump was president as we speak right now, this would be a much bigger told story with lots of blame. It is almost a cocktail joke right now at the parties of the elite, and the media is part of that party.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 187
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 132
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84