eulogy advice needed

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What would the person that has past say or would want to hear. Sorry for your loss and you will do fine. LB

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
A close family member has died and I have been asked to give the eulogy.

I'm fairly immune to public speaking jitters - but I'm lost as to where to begin with writing it.

Lots of online advice out there but I trust you gomers more than some AI-generated BS.

Duration?

Word count?

Hot buttons to stay away from?

Etc.

Any advise is much appreciated.
You don't need advice. You'll do fine I'm sure. Sorry for your loss and God Bless.

cobbwubs

All good advice. Here's my .02 as someone with a couple decades in ministry...

Prepare: Have notes, even a couple bullet points, BUT tell the stories to the congregation instead of reading them. Practice once.
Good Memories: Eulogy literally means "Good Words". A Eulogy and service is for the best memories. and yes, there is no need to "sanitize" best memories to make them appropriate.
Don't preach: If its a service of faith, preaching is someone else's job. If the person's faith was an important part of who they were, then talking about that is great.

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had to do a few. To me it really depends on what you write how really close you were to them. For instance, was it a father, uncle and or maybe 3nd cousin, each you know totally different. Lots of great ideas above it was hard to hold back tears but in end there is no bad Eulogy. Sorry for your loss of family member, God bless you.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does crying a lot whilst writing it get the tears out of the way before delivery time? 😭😩😬

I hope so... Crying in public is pretty rough. 🤭
I can almost guarantee no one is going to say anything about you sharing the memories of your dear friend. Emotions are part of the healing process, swollen eyes to me is a sign of sincerity that people will most likely be able to connect to you. This is to me a very important day in anyone's life who is given the honor to share your memories of a man who was a great influence in your life. You are going to be busy after the funeral especially if you are like some families that decide to carry the grieving process either to an after service lunch or at your local watering hole.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84