Fall Turkey hunting

jmkilber

Hey all, I was a first time Turkey hunter this spring. I was able to get a Tom to come in to a decoy and was able to bag it! I really enjoyed hunting Turkey this spring. So, I thought I would apply again for the fall season. But, I really have no idea how the hunting is in the fall and how it is different. So, any of you got any pointers for the fall season? Do they still decoy well in the fall or do you use a different tactics?

Thanks in advance for any tips!

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not from ND, but down here the tactics are different. More of a spot and stalk, or set up over food sources and travel routes. Turkeys are pretty easy to pattern, they seem to take the same routes to and from fields, same roost trees, etc...at least until something makes them change. With that being said, I know that if you really bust up a flock in the fall (scatter them in all directions), you can do some calling and have a chance to bring one in as they will be looking to meet back up with their buddies. Good luck!

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What Short just said:

I will place further emphasis on the flock busting being damn near 100% reliable if terrain permits. Some states allow dogs for this task. There used to be breeders in the South which sold dogs specifically trained for this and return to the hunter and lie still. With a few exceptions; I don't believe much of ND's terrain would be suitable for this technique unless you've patterned them precisely and have a foolproof set up: If that's the case then just wait out the shot until the bird of choice... but a dedicated-fly fisherman type; real sportsman would dedicate the time to bust the flock and test calling skill. Which would be cool.

I'm new here and don't know how to post vids. There's a guy on U-tube: "Dale Outdoors"; who IMHO provides the best advice on calling. Research "gobbler yelp" (from Dale). It works. It's an important tool in your repertoire and also effective in spring.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93