Favorite Fish Batter?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like Frank's better than Tabasco. I don't dislike Tobasso, I like Frank's better.

- - - Updated - - -

That's actually about the limit of my heat tolerance. "In" doesn't necessarily equal "Out". It's also embarrassing to wear a diaper unless you want to keep a good bar stool.

Last edited:

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
We use shore lunch as a dry coating and deep fry or pan fry. Fish is super light and you can eat the $hit out of it.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
We like the Louisiana fish fry mix. Usually soak fish in beer for about 30 minutes and then toss in dry mix, prefer that over mixing the batter. Most of the commercial stuff is way too salty for our tastes, especially the shore lunch. We will also use jiffy corn mix and put in lemon pepper, cayenne, garlic, etc... and you get a little sweet and savory

Watchyourownbobber

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone tried the "dots" pretzel breading? I got some but haven't had a chance to try yet.....heard it was very good though!

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blue shore lunch (corn recipe, not at cashwise but at all dans) it the ticket after trying everything. Fry til golden brown. Really adds a nice texture to the fish (crunchyish) and the flavor isn't overwhelming (I want to taste my fish) used flour for years, WHOOPS. Brings little to the party vs corn based.

corn holds the fillet togother so nice compared to wheat based breadings. I don't soak my fish, but after thawing the fill-its they get rinsed thrice and a lactose free bath of 2% before the shore lunch. Holy geeze I need to set more fish out :-S

mercury shmercury

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good topic, We like crispy food so Panko is what we have been using but I will watch for that Blue dot shore lunch for some variety. What ever I crave at the moment determins what I use for spice but I am a Cajun lover so I usually go that route. I used to go with beer batter all the time and I miss that beer taste so might have to go that route sometime soon. Thanks to guywhopackshisfishonice I developed that habit and started saving Northerns again Last night we had a side by side Northern/walleye taste test and northerns won. Next time it's perch VS walleye. Hoping to find a nice batch of perch in the near future, Picked up a few at DL last time and I'd forgot how well I like cleaning them.

Last edited:

dgully

Founding Member
Founding Member
We usually use half Shore lunch original and half Shore lunch Cajun, comes out not to spicy for the kids and everyone that doesn't like it spicy.
We've used the Dots fish batter and everyone liked it but most liked the Shore lunch better, but then again no one really complains about what I use when throwing a fish fry

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use Italian bread crumbs mixed with a little Parmesan cheese and coconut lime seasoning from Tone's. Amazingly good!

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use Andy's "Red" seasoning for fish, then they have a cornmeal mix that I use for deer.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone tried the "dots" pretzel breading? I got some but haven't had a chance to try yet.....heard it was very good though!

This has me intrigued. Love Dots pretzels. Might have to try to crush them up and try it.

I used to use just saltines with lemon pepper, but have recently switched to club crackers to give it a little buttery flavor. I don't mind the Shore Lunch cajun or beer batter if I'm feeling lazy and don't want to grind or crush the crackers. For seasoning, I use either Mediterranean Greek Pepper or Cavenders. Both are excellent.

But after reading some of these other recipes, I am definitely going to need to try a couple of them. :;:thumbsup

Colonel Angus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fryin' Magic.....that is all. batter.jpg

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shore Lunch beer batter is my go to for deep frying. I usually season the powder before I add the beer. Also, I always add enough beer to make a thinner mixture so I get a very thin, crisp coating. I usually just add fresh squeezed lemon and maybe some salt after that. Home made tartar sauce is amazing with this as well.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member

Dot knows damn right with her pretzels. Pure butter...Am a fan even as pretzels aren't my first go-to snack unless Giaradelli dipped are available. Miss Dot could make a killing with some hamburger buns and an assault rifle.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 57
  • This month: 44
  • This month: 40
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 20
  • This month: 19