Favorite Venison recipes

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nothing fancy about the way I eat venison ,The back straps get special care but the rest I bone it out in thin slices and fry it in butter with a variety of spices. Most of the time it tastes like hot jerky, Nothing wrong with chewing on a tough cut and savoring the flavor. Washing it down with bush light while watching a bobber is even better.

- - - Updated - - -

The real tough stuff gets ground and made into jerky,

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
yes 7... very much liked the videos. just short on time so far to share and comment. maybe later today. thanks for sharing so far guys!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
yes 7... very much liked the videos. just short on time so far to share and comment. maybe later today. thanks for sharing so far guys!

post your reduction recipe - hope it's cheaper than mine - good port/wine makes mine kinda stupid high

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i don't have the exact specifics. i got it from a buddy who ate at mario batali's (i think) restaurant in new york and then bought his book. he gave it to me on paper at one time. but, i've been winging it ever since as its pretty basic.

the backstraps get cut into larger chunks. i would say about 2 inches wide. big enough so that when you grill them on super high heat, you can keep them on long enough to get a nice char/sear on the outside yet have it medium rare on the inside. the meat is marinaded in garlic (minced, powder, sliced or chopped, whatever... but, not garlic salt), rosemary and/or thyme (fresh is better), black pepper and olive oil. i like it to be a nice long marinade of 24 hours or more. make sure you take it out of the fridge and bring it to room temp a few hours before cooking. salt generously then grill it on about about as high as you can get your grill until medium rare. for those with awesome grills that get to 800+ maybe that's overkill. mine gets to about 600 and does the trick. let rest. slice nice and thin on the bias then dip in the reduction or drizzle some on the plate and over the meat.

sorry about not having exact measurements on the reduction. but, its red wine, sugar and spice. lets say 1 cup of red wine to 1/2 cup sugar. i believe he originally told me cloves and cinnamon for spice. i've gone without cinnamon and i've substituted pickling spice (lol) once or twice when i didn't have cloves. not too much of either though. i would say 5-10 whole cloves and a tsp of cinnamon. reduce down to a nice syrup consistency. remove the cloves. it takes a good 30-60 minutes depending on the wine to sugar content. drizzle over sliced meat. tis venison candy!

i've searched on the internet. i can't find the exact recipe with the red wine reduction. but, the below video about covers the meat part.

http://www.marthastewart.com/252193/mario-batali-grilled-venison-recipe

Last edited:

jtillman

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's been awhile since I've done this with a deer, but one of my favorites (and family favorite....even for the people that 'hate venison')

[h=3]Southwest Smoked Venison[/h]Ingredients
• 5 lb venison roast
• Bacon strips
Rub:
• 2 tbsp paprika
• 1 tbsp chilli powder
• 1 tbsp ground cumin
• 1 tbsp ground coriander
• 1 tbsp sugar
• 1 tbsp salt
• 2 tsp dry mustard powder
• 2 tsp thyme
• 2 tsp curry powder
• 2 tsp cayenne
Guacamole:
• 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
• 1/3 c sour cream
• 1/4 c chopped fresh coriander
• 1 tbsp limejuice
• 4 to 6 drops hot sauce
• salt and pepper to taste
**Or just buy a jar at the grocery store**

Preparation
Combine rub ingredients and massage into venison roast. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 6 to 8 hours or overnight. Remove from refrigerator and let stand for 30 minutes.

Before putting the roast on the smoker, wrap the roast in bacon.
Smoking Method
Preheat the smoker to between 220°F and 250°F. Smoke for approximately 4 to 6 hours or until your roast is done to your choice, I chose 150°F. I used Applewood chips and apple juice/water mix for the steam.

To Serve
Combine all guacamole ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Let venison stand 5 minutes, slice and serve with the guacamole.

mmanske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let the backstrap sit in olive oil and montreal steak season over night and then the next day butterfly the strap open. Stuff with green peppers,onions,mushrooms,and provalone cheese. Close the strap up and wrap in bacon and cover with brown sugar
Put it on a pan and place pan on the grill so the brown sugar melts over the top of it. When melted place on grill and cook to preferred doneness

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
For backstrap, salt and pepper to taste, fry it with onions.

Last edited:

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
is it guywhocookthings that has the neck roast recipe? can you explain? i kept two big hunks of neck meat. one from my doe and one from my buck. i would like to try this. i am certainly capable of cooking a roast. but, is there something special you do or season it with? and this doesn't involve neck bones does it? thanks.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
heck yes it involves scary prion-ridden neck bones. Ghost asked me about this the other day and I really hadn't worried about it much -

maybe I should ha ha.

I rub them down with memphis rub a day or two before cooking, brown them good in the stainless pressure cooker with oil/onions, and pressure cook them for 45 minutes.

they taste like huge ribs with 10x more meat.

maybe it's the prions that taste so good?

2015-11-21 17.25.20.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
"As for CWD and any risks to humans, the alliance says there is currently no solid evidence that humans can get it from deer, elk or moose. Most researchers agree with that. According to the group, the diseases (BSE and CWD) are “distinctly different.”
The World Health Organization has also weighed in, stating that after reviewing the available scientific information, its conclusion is that “currently there is no evidence that CWD can be transmitted to humans.”

http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2015/...read-of-chronic-wasting-disease/#.WC3ajclWLTA

guess I'll keep rolling the [gulp] dice?

- - - Updated - - -

those roasts look like ghostly faces - yeesh

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
My all time favorite is to butterfly a backstrap and season with garlic salt and pepper, then add some slices of butter and close the 'strap back up. Season outside with garlic salt and pepper. Wrap loin in thin cut bacon and grill with meat thermometer to achieve medium/medium rare. Remove and let rest for a few minutes and then get the big knife out and go to town. Tips: you will need to add a foil "boat" under the meat to avoid a major bacon grease fire. Also remove 'strap about 5 degrees less than desired temp as the meat will continue to "cook".

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
No. Just, no. Want to ruin your meat, coat it in flour. Yikes, man.
Haha, I have to disagree. As long as you don't cook the hell out of the meat, svns method is an excellent way to cook venison. I use s/p, a little bit of garlic and onion powder and some cayenne....soak the venison in milk quick to help flour stick and fry in a hot pan with butter. For lunch today I went a step further and made a quick pan gravy after the venison was cooked...added two tablespoons of Au jus concentrate (johnnys brand, the liquid stuff), about a quarter cup of water, some Worcestershire and a splash of milk. Let reduce for about 3-4 minutes then added a bit of flour to help thicken. Then I ate like a caveman for lunch. Haha

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man im going to need more Venison! I dont even know where to start after reading this thread. The last few years ive just butcherd into steaks and roasts, in September I make sausage with what ever is left over. Havnt made any in at least 2 yrs.

Anyone have a good ground bacon recipe?

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
20161119_182220.jpg
Before red wine reduction.
20161119_182150.jpg
With reduction drizzled over the top. It needed to thicken up a bit more. But, I was getting hungry and the meat was ready.

- - - Updated - - -

20161119_183203.jpg
Here are a few chunks before they met the knife.

- - - Updated - - -

20161119_183459.jpg
And a few logs with 3 different rubs. Had to give the cayenne a try on a couple.

- - - Updated - - -

20161119_184125.jpg
Done bout perfect.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 64
  • This month: 54