Federal CWD Spending

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
In WY where there is CWD everywhere not many people have their animals tested. People have been eating these animals for years without testing them. Buddy got his sampled at a check point and came back positive a week later after his deer had been processed by the meat cutter. He plans to still eat it. The processors must not be concerned because they cut up everything that comes in and have not idea which animals are positive.

The WY GF encourages you to get your animals tested but they by no means restrict where or how you transport them. They also don’t harass you into getting them tested.

CWD is not the biggest threat to deer herds in WY. Mt Lions and over harvest are the biggest culprits.
It's been a few years, I asked NDGF DVM Dan Grove, first you guys collect heads, then remove brain stems and lymph nodes, then send the samples to University of Michigan, then if they find a suspect they forward sample to NVSL National Veterinarian Services Lab in Aimes Iowa. If the suspect sample pops positive NVSL contacts NDGF. Then NDGF calls the sportsman saying they have a positive in the deep freeze. How long can all this take? He replied three months.

By which time much of it is already consumed.

Also, if a processor co-mingled that positive with several other hunter harvested deer during a work shift, should those people also be notified?

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's been a few years, I asked NDGF DVM Dan Grove, first you guys collect heads, then remove brain stems and lymph nodes, then send the samples to University of Michigan, then if they find a suspect they forward sample to NVSL National Veterinarian Services Lab in Aimes Iowa. If the suspect sample pops positive NVSL contacts NDGF. Then NDGF calls the sportsman saying they have a positive in the deep freeze. How long can all this take? He replied three months.

By which time much of it is already consumed.

Also, if a processor co-mingled that positive with several other hunter harvested deer during a work shift, should those people also be notified?
Well in WY there are a ton of CWD animals that are processed every year. It is not required so only a select number decide to get it tested and CWD is pretty widespread. There is no notification to any of the processors . The results come back in about a week and only the hunter is notified. Granted they shouldn’t be cutting up any spinal column during the processing, but either way the G&F isn’t concerned

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The new show sucks . Daryl is boring to listen to. No reason to listen to 550 anymore with Scott Hennen and rush no longer on their radio.
I am somewhat on this same page, but still listen almost daily

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
provided i don't shoot the brain or the spine, is there any danger of possibly even eating contaminated meat?

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member

Sen. John Hoeven is going forward with the CWD Research and Management Act. It's on his facebook page and I believe it was reported on KX News.​

(3) Senator John Hoeven | Facebook

Senator John Hoeven

https://www.facebook.com/SenatorJohnHoeven/#
The impact of Chronic Wasting Disease on both wildlife and deer farmers is a threat to our state and with deer hunting season opening this week, today’s discussion on efforts to address the impact of CWD on both wildlife and deer farmers is timely. Ag researchers and Game and Fish officials are working hard to combat CWD, but they need additional help. I am sponsoring legislation to provide needed resources to research and develop better testing methods and management practices, while also empowering states and tribes to implement solutions.

May be an image of 11 people and people standing

From left is Dr. Beth Carlson, Board of Animal Health, to her left is Casey Anderson NDGF. Do not recognize the next two. To John Hoeven's right is Shawn Schafer, Executive Director Deer Growers, to Hoeven's left is Jeb Williams, Game and Fish Director, to Jeb's left is Scott Peterson Deputy Game and Fish Director. To Peterson's left is John Bradley, ND Wildlife Federation lobbyist. Do not know the next three. The last one is Game and Fish.

The pamphlet in front of each is the NDGF hand out at the three meetings they had around the State.

There is a comment section on John Hoeven's page.

https://www.facebook.com/SenatorJohnHoeven/
I believe it was 2009 there was a Bill to ban baiting in the legislature. The NDGF as a State agency cannot submit Bills so they had their ND wildlife federation do it for them. The Bill failed but what happened was the lobbyist (Bill Helphrey) for the Bowhunters Association testified in favor of a ban.

Rank and file members of the Bowhunters Association said "what"? We never got to vote on that.

Someone told me they think one of the guys in the picture below is from the Bowhunters Association. If true, members of the Bowhunters need to tell leadership there needs to be a motion, a second, discussion and a vote.

1667617547578.png

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76