Federal CWD Spending

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Although the zoonotic potential of CWD is considered low, there are numerous strains and there is a well known gentleman in the Alaskan hunting community that claims up and down his wife has contracted a form of brain wasting disease from ingesting a confirmed CWD-positive Midwest deer. Her cognitive decline has indeed been swift and from what I understand, there is no way for them to confirm the cause. But a lot of unanswered questions remain. Several years ago I worked under a wildlife veterinarian who was legitimately concerned with zoonotic transmission of CWD and his thought was that it's only a matter of time.

I think Allen presents a point worth taking into consideration. Would you rather them start lab testing various CWD strains to see if they can transmit to humans (don't have a great track record there)? Or take the more conservative route they are taking? People can argue all they want about the intention of all this, I don't really care to participate in that, just providing more food for thought. I did the corn pile deal for a while. After a couple of years I found that the number of kill opportunities went up substantially by hunting them on the way to where they were eating instead of on top of their food. Cheaper and less time consuming too!

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think there are people who are truly worried with the effect CWD has on the deer population, and there are others who are truly worried that this will eventually become a human health issue. Let's face it, there is no cure for any of the brain wasting diseases whether it's CJD, BSE, or CWD. At this point we know two of those affect humans and the 3rd one is similar enough to the other two for biologists (prionologist, is there such a thing) to worry about it's ability to change just enough to infect humans. To date I am not aware of any evidence that it has made the leap to a human infection, but let's contemplate that for a minute.

For one, we know that facilities where CWD infections have occurred are fundamentally impossible to clean to the point animals introduced afterwards were unable to avoid infection. So this prion thing has some lengthy and undefined shelf life in nature. Deer also feed on our crops, and given the size of a prion...I'd have to think plants will have some uptake of the prions as diseased animals die and are returned to the soil and water. That means there is a theoretical pathway to infecting even vegans.

If, or when, this disease does make the leap to humans, what do we think the government will do? I suspect our non-hunting city folks would call for extermination of the deer population. Kind of an apocalyptic scenario, but is the risk really zero?
Interesting insights, Allen.

Reviewing the numbers and epidemiology on CJD and vCJD (BSE), it's fair to say cases are extremely rare and contributing factors include age, heredity, and mass-production practices. I agree the risk is not zero, but it is exceedingly small. I am far more concerned about government funding research that might encourage the jump to humans, but this would be unprecedented, right?

Like many things (climate and COVID alarmism for two examples), the response may be worse than doing nothing at all. In the context of prion longevity and uptake by other organisms in nature, which is worse: requiring a deer hunter to leave scrambled brain tissue or a boned out carcass in the field versus allowing it to be removed intact from the field and disposed of in a landfill?

No amount of baiting will result in congregation like a watering hole in a drought or a food source in a tough winter. No amount of hunting regulation will reduce the risk by a meaningful margin compared to what occurs outside of hunting.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am far more concerned about government funding research that might encourage the jump to humans, but this would be unprecedented, right?

Unless Bill Gates, Fauchi, and Obama go to Wuhan. Since our governor is a bud of Gates he may offer up North Dakota as an experiment.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe Game and Fish DVM Charlie Bahnson is going to be on the KFYR Kafe talking about this Oct. 19th.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going pheasant hunting at Mott today. Families get together for over 30 years.

Will be tuned into KFYR KAFE at 4:00 PM. Game and Fish DVM Charlie Bahnson is supposed to be on talking about baiting.

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member
Limited out on pheasant. It was nice to see jailbreaks coming out of the cattails and thickets.

Tuned into KFYR KAFE. The baiting thing didn't get going until 4:30. Not much material can be covered in 30 minutes. The first caller asked if they have any confirmed deer deaths in the State from CWD. Like as in proven this dead deer died from CWD.

Charlie kicked up a bunch of dust and finally admitted they only have the one found frozen beside the road south of Williston. They then shot 55 more in the surrounding area to test but they did not enjoy doing that.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Charlie sounded like Hoeven trying to dance around his democrat voting record. Came off as a little twerp.

Looked him up and now suspect he gives mustache rides in exchange for grant money.

Daryl pushed back on some of the ridiculous claims. He's doing a fantastic job with the new Your Talk show from 9-11am and the KFYR Kafe on AM 550.

622239dc8a584.image.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Limited out on pheasant. It was nice to see jailbreaks coming out of the cattails and thickets.

Tuned into KFYR KAFE. The baiting thing didn't get going until 4:30. Not much material can be covered in 30 minutes. The first caller asked if they have any confirmed deer deaths in the State from CWD. Like as in proven this dead deer died from CWD.

Charlie kicked up a bunch of dust and finally admitted they only have the one found frozen beside the road south of Williston. They then shot 55 more in the surrounding area to test but they did not enjoy doing that.

cuz science

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both a text and an email from ndgf today trying to convince me to “get tested” this deer season

they really want to find more CWD

Fritz the Cat

Founding Member
Founding Member

Sen. John Hoeven is going forward with the CWD Research and Management Act. It's on his facebook page and I believe it was reported on KX News.

(3) Senator John Hoeven | Facebook

Senator John Hoeven

https://www.facebook.com/SenatorJohnHoeven/#
The impact of Chronic Wasting Disease on both wildlife and deer farmers is a threat to our state and with deer hunting season opening this week, today’s discussion on efforts to address the impact of CWD on both wildlife and deer farmers is timely. Ag researchers and Game and Fish officials are working hard to combat CWD, but they need additional help. I am sponsoring legislation to provide needed resources to research and develop better testing methods and management practices, while also empowering states and tribes to implement solutions.

May be an image of 11 people and people standing

From left is Dr. Beth Carlson, Board of Animal Health, to her left is Casey Anderson NDGF. Do not recognize the next two. To John Hoeven's right is Shawn Schafer, Executive Director Deer Growers, to Hoeven's left is Jeb Williams, Game and Fish Director, to Jeb's left is Scott Peterson Deputy Game and Fish Director. To Peterson's left is John Bradley, ND Wildlife Federation lobbyist. Do not know the next three. The last one is Game and Fish.

The pamphlet in front of each is the NDGF hand out at the three meetings they had around the State.

There is a comment section on John Hoeven's page.

https://www.facebook.com/SenatorJohnHoeven/

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Charlie sounded like Hoeven trying to dance around his democrat voting record. Came off as a little twerp.

Looked him up and now suspect he gives mustache rides in exchange for grant money.

Daryl pushed back on some of the ridiculous claims. He's doing a fantastic job with the new Your Talk show from 9-11am and the KFYR Kafe on AM 550.

622239dc8a584.image.jpg
The new show sucks . Daryl is boring to listen to. No reason to listen to 550 anymore with Scott Hennen and rush no longer on their radio.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both a text and an email from ndgf today trying to convince me to “get tested” this deer season

they really want to find more CWD
In WY where there is CWD everywhere not many people have their animals tested. People have been eating these animals for years without testing them. Buddy got his sampled at a check point and came back positive a week later after his deer had been processed by the meat cutter. He plans to still eat it. The processors must not be concerned because they cut up everything that comes in and have not idea which animals are positive.

The WY GF encourages you to get your animals tested but they by no means restrict where or how you transport them. They also don’t harass you into getting them tested.

CWD is not the biggest threat to deer herds in WY. Mt Lions and over harvest are the biggest culprits.

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The new show sucks . Daryl is boring to listen to. No reason to listen to 550 anymore with Scott Hennen and rush no longer on their radio.
I respectfully disagree. Daryl has been fostering great discussion with guests and allowing much more time to callers. He has brought in guests with views opposed to his own. Scott Hennen became nothing more a mouthpiece for the ND RINO establishment.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I respectfully disagree. Daryl has been fostering great discussion with guests and allowing much more time to callers. He has brought in guests with views opposed to his own. Scott Hennen became nothing more a mouthpiece for the ND RINO establishment.
I guess I enjoyed Scott’s big time guest’s more than anything. I guess I’m not a fan of Daryl’s background so his voice to me is unlistenable. Not a big fan of callers unless they ask tough questions and not dumb questions. Lies is not an ally of sportsmen so I’m not supporting that show

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 171
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 82