Fenwick Rods replacement

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think they still warranty there name brand but others, not anymore. Neighbor just snapped his pulling cranks 2 weeks ago. Said it was at least 15 yrs old, replaced no questions asked. Wasn't expecting it to be replaced but figured "what the hell" may as well see.

limit2winit

Established Member
If you break it due to manufacture defect and have the rod registered and a receipt, they will send you a new one.

If you slam it in something or break it on a snag etc., they will likely only give you either 30% off new stock, or 40% off old stock.

As stated above, follow instructions on website. Just went through this bs.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve had this rod for quite a while. The rod itself is fine it’s where the top cork piece tightens down on the reel. It looks like the cork just broke away from the threads. Hope that makes sense. I wonder if a custom rod builder could maybe put a new handle on it?

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve had this rod for quite a while. The rod itself is fine it’s where the top cork piece tightens down on the reel. It looks like the cork just broke away from the threads. Hope that makes sense. I wonder if a custom rod builder could maybe put a new handle on it?
@Lapper - thoughts?

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can send me a pic or 3 and I'll take a look at it. I'm no professional rod smith by any means but may have an idea available

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
The "new" Berkeley Lightning Rod is not shit. Beat the hell out of it for 40 bucks. It's probably Chinese. I don't have one YET.

1722831638154.png

1722831696941.png

Tinesdown

Established Member
If you can send me a pic or 3 and I'll take a look at it. I'm no professional rod smith by any means but may have an idea available
Have used lightning rods till they broke jerking on snags i think fenwick is a great rod the gmx series has my nod. So had a st croix snap jig rod6 .6 that thing was great for feeling fish bite on jigs unfortunately had a loser burn up my pickup with that rod with a phlueger xt plus on it the red one also lost 50 cranks in two boxes. This was last may. My one box of cranks had relics in it ones u will never see again the other was about 36 berkley flicker shads. It still hurts but have learned to deal with loss.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought an expensive fenwick at a charity auction. The very first time I used it and set the hook on a fish, it snapped in half. I contacted fenwick and since I had no receipt I was pretty much fucked.
Was it a HMG?

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ve broke more fenwicks than any other rod
I had one for a month a few years back. Broke it setting the hook on about the 5th day. 1st and last one I bought. Had the receipt and emailed them, they didn't do anything. Was a $120. Ill stick with My G Loomis'

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never had an issue with a Fenwick rod but I have built many custom rods using St. Croix III's & IV's and to my knowledge only 1 rod broken to date (not the fault of the blank) and St. Croix replaced it without question.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never had an issue with a Fenwick rod but I have built many custom rods using St. Croix III's & IV's and to my knowledge only 1 rod broken to date (not the fault of the blank) and St. Croix replaced it without question.
Being a custom rod builder do you think it’s possible to replace the handle on this rod? Or would it cost the same to purchase a new one?

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rod handles generally can be replaced. Amount of work involved depends on how the original handle was attached. Often manufacturers use arbors and epoxy paste. If the original is a straight grip such as cork, it is fairly easy. I have replaced original handles with neoprene or Winn Grips rather than turning another cork grip. No expert by any means and there may be other rod builders out there that have easier fixes. Given your description of issue I might assume that both the handle and reel seat will need replacing....just a guess based on the issue stated. Almost anything can be done to repair / fix a rod but at some point time and materials involved exceed value of rod.

Tinesdown

Established Member
I had one for a month a few years back. Broke it setting the hook on about the 5th day. 1st and last one I bought. Had the receipt and emailed them, they didn't do anything. Was a $120. Ill stick with My G Loomis'
Yeah thats not good maybe u setting the hook to hard. Have fished with cheaper rods an i learned to just lift up when u think there biting on it an. But no shit a great rod an reel combo will out fish any on a cheaper setup its about sensitivity and i hook a decent fish an learn how to feather that drag upon hookset it takes years of experience to know how fish fight.

Tinesdown

Established Member
Yeah thats not good maybe u setting the hook to hard. Have fished with cheaper rods an i learned to just lift up when u think there biting on it an. But no shit a great rod an reel combo will out fish any on a cheaper setup its about sensitivity and i hook a decent fish an learn how to feather that drag upon hookset it takes years of experience to know how fish fight.
I mean im no rich cat with 300 dollar reals but i had a phlueger xt the newer one 5 years back an it made a hell of a diff fighting fish they can almost spool me but crank the drag down some when they get tired an learn how to figh those fish play them u can usually get them in the net.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 60
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 39
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 37
  • This month: 25
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 18