field blinds

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a gander guide series. It is identical to a tangle free been beat to crap and still works great.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
All of the major brands are just fine - biggest factors you should weigh are: 1. Your size - some blinds aren't really made for guys over 6'2 or 225. 2. What you hunt - are you going to hunt peas a bunch? You'd probably want to go with something low profile like a powerhunter. If corn mostly, no big deal. Will you have to walk into fields much? Again, you might want to go small if so. There's encyclopedias of opinions on these out there but in my experience I've never heard anyone complain about the major brands. Best to go to the store and check them out and get in them.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess mostly I was wondering if there were any "stay away from" blinds. I'm not big and will hunt peas, wheat stubble mostly. Are dog blinds worth it?

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the dog likes having a sheltered spot some days but it is another thing to stubble up and birds don't seem to flare on a dog much. I do use one though.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
looking at some full body decoys. some better than others? have only used socks and shells in the past.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
full bodies get expensive. but, they are better than shells and socks by a long ways. i never use socks anymore and occassionaly throw my shells in if i happen to be hunting with guys that don't have any decoys themselves. but, if i have any choice at all its only full bodies. i would rather hunt 2 dozen full bodies than 5 dozen shells or socks. a good rule of thumb for us is roughly 18-24 full bodies/hunter. we get by with a dozen/hunter occassionaly. but, prefer to have closer to 24/hunter. if we are talking ducks, that's about a $450 investment/hunter. seems steep. but, if you buy them over the course of 2-3 years its nothing. and considering what we spend on shells, gas and beer in a duck/goose season, its peanuts iffen it puts more breasts in the freezer.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
some of those looks extremely real. what about silhouettes mixed with full bodies

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
esp[COLOR=#ffff00 said:
[/COLOR]ringers;15289]full bodies get expensive. but, they are better than shells and socks by a long ways. i never use socks anymore and occassionaly throw my shells in if i happen to be hunting with guys that don't have any decoys themselves. but, if i have any choice at all its only full bodies. i would rather hunt 2 dozen full bodies than 5 dozen shells or socks. a good rule of thumb for us is roughly 18-24 full bodies/hunter. we get by with a dozen/hunter occassionaly. but, prefer to have closer to 24/hunter. if we are talking ducks, that's about a $450 investment/hunter. seems steep. but, if you buy them over the course of 2-3 years its nothing. and considering what we spend on shells, gas and beer in a duck/goose season, its peanuts iffen it puts more breasts in the freezer.

Please do this so you can look just like everyone else and my ragtag spread can continue to kill many limits of Canadas.

Watch a field of geese that are nice and comfy and not being pressured. Bet you will find at least half of them laying down and even more so later in the season. You will also find 90%+ of them feeding, not looking around.

If you are going to hunt with your dog in the field, use a separate blind, for your dog's sake. How loud do you think it is when you are shooting right over top oh him?

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would stay away from the frameless doors unless you want to be low profile. They just don't pop open like the framed blinds. I don't like power hunters because of the design. To be honest the best blinds for the money are the sporting goods store brands like scheels or Rogers sporting good.

The banded brands are sturdy and function well but are fairly heavy and I would not carry it in the field.

The best starter spread would be lessers or shells. Most of the time that's all you need. I have out decoyed other fields by using 15 decoys instead of 60.

- - - Updated - - -

There are some good used decoys on bisman right now

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
i have he banded RIP and it is a big son of a !@#$%. If you can drive right to where you are going to hunt it is fine but if you have to carry it more than 10 yards by your self u are going to hate it. With that being said I am 6 foot 2 300 pounds and have a lot of room left in the blind. I always keep my blind bag and a jacket and a few other things with me in the blind when I am hunting. I never hunt bean/pea fields. mostly wheat/barley but occasionally hunt corn too and the taper profile of the blind makes it easy to brush in.

With all that being said the first blind I had 4 or 5 years ago was a scheels outfitter. Sold that one to a buddy and bought a cabelas northernflight ultimate blinds and liked everything about it except the pinless frame. After 1 season the gizmo's that hold the doors to the rest of the frame were wore out. Emailed cabelas and had new ones in 3 days free of charge.

I think the best way to see which one you like is to go to the store and lay in one if you can. Or try a buddies out some morning when you are out hunting

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mixing silos is fine. Check out Divebomb decoys they make a great silo that is relatively cheep!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75