Fire detectors???

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Well won a drawing for a free steak dinner the other night only downside is I had to listen to a 1 hour presentation on "Fire saftey" pretty mich a bunch of scare tactics and horror stories how people have lost family members in fires and how your simple run of the mill fire detectors are only 35% effective.

Of course they what you to buy there fire detectors at $250 -$300 a piece!

The company was Detech...

Obviously I care about my family but don't want to get scammed out of $3,000!!!

Are there other models out there with similar/better tech?

3tt3v

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do a google search on them. I wouldn't waste the money. Scammers.

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Basement has to bedrooms ... 3 upstairs kitchen living room hallways....

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drink heavily and then put a pizza in the oven and pass out. This should check the status of your current system.

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Haha one of there arguments was quote "cooking smoke is different than actual fire smoke!" ;:;popcorn;:;rofl

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
smoke is smoke. Head to Menards and remember to replace batteries when time changes.

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That's what I figured but you know they freaked the women in there having horror stories of children dying

- - - Updated - - -

Ironic though I am cooking a pizza roght now

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmm, I must need to buy more :;:huhas I have 1 in the hallway upstairs and 1 at the bottom of the stairs in the basement.

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think code is every bedroom inside and outside the door

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Code pssssttt. Maybe for new construction. My modest home was built in the early '70s and I have lived here for 24 years. Have never had an inspector or city assessor in my house.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a question, shouldn't those have been hard wired and put in when the house was built? If you did a loan, the insurance company and bank should of required them before closing.

Last edited:

ccarver80

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just a question, shouldn't those have been hard wired and put in when the house was built? If you did a loan, the insurance company and bank should of required them before closing.

They are hard wired in

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
All the new hard wired in are set if one goes off they all go off and I do think they have battery backup.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems kind of like someone trying to talk you and your wife into buying a lifetime supply of expensive condoms to use along with your regular method of birth control just to be safe.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have a newer home and they are hard-wired in, you should be good to go so long as they are less than 10 years old.

If you have an older home and are using older tech, battery operated smoke alarms, check their age. Smoke alarms should be replaced about every ten years. My home has battery operated alarms. A few years ago I had a slight incident. Filled my house with smoke and I didn't know it as I was in the master bath and couldn't hear the kitchen alarm going off. Long story ----> short, my alarms were not hard-wired, nor connected.

I fixed that by purchasing some smoke alarms that are wirelessly connected. A bigger house with old individual alarms will allow a fire to get way out of control before a person at the other end of the house gets the word.

First Alert and Kidde both make quality alarms. You can also get voice alarms that are great for kid rooms. You can record YOUR voice and commands to get up and __________. This is a great idea, my kids easily sleep through their alarm clocks (as did I when I was young), so voice commands are worthwhile when it's a voice they recognize.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 96
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 45
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 33
  • This month: 33