First Deer

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine: 1983: A running right to left shot @45yds with a Savage/Stevens single bbl: 16ga slug: Huge/old forkhorn: Dad was laid off from the mines and it fed us through the winter: Made me feel important.

That is all.

Last edited:

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fawn in the haystacks at 40 yards. Blew its guts out with the .308 and watched it run 20 yards with entrails following behind it before my dad stepped in and ended it. Life isn’t always a fairy tale 😂

Eatsleeptrap

★★★★★ Legendary Member
1984, yearling doe, left to right, about 50 yds out of some brush on a fence line with a borrowed Winchester model 70 in 30-06. That was 40 years ago? Damn, seems like yesterday....

Tinesdown

1984, yearling doe, left to right, about 50 yds out of some brush on a fence line with a borrowed Winchester model 70 in 30-06. That was 40 years ago? Damn, seems like yesterday...prolly 2003 had a coveted mule 3b1 ended with 3x3 whitetail off elk township very small shit head

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spotted a doe laying between a gap in 2 round bales. I got all the way to the bales, peeked around the corner and she bolted. I missed the 1st shot @ less than 10yds. Killed her w/the 2nd @ 50-75yds.

Running right to left. Shooting a Rem 700ADL Carbine in 243, Weaver 1.5-4.5 TV-View scope, w/85gn Sierra boat-tail spitzers.

Fester

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Grown doe going right to left at about 15-20 yards with a bow. Age 13 I believe. Public land..was fun!

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
What we thought was a big ol muley buck, turned out to be a year old doe...standing in front of a scraggly tree.... I'll never forget my oldest brother in the drivers seat of the truck with me standing next to it and him telling me "thats a huge buck you better shoot it" only to walk up to a 90# doe after it hit the ground... 6mm rem with 85 grain remington corelokt ammo. Sure do love that gun,

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes drew 4C my first time applying at 14 years old I believe. Members of my family also drew and we walked our butts off and weren't seeing hardly any deer. Everyone met at the blazer and were going to head back to the old little single axle bubble camper for lunch. I said I would walk this big drainage back, it was a couple miles long. The blazer headed out and I walked up over the hill to look down into this drainage and there on the other side was this big beautiful muley buck trailing a doe nose on her butt oblivious to me on the opposite side at about 450 yards. I got down on my belly and chambered a round into my .243 Winchester featherweight. But he had chased her into a big patch trees on the side of the hill. I could see completely around it if they scooted out and I scanned into it trying to find him. There at the base of it was a small fork horn standing in waist high brush staring up at me. This was my first deer hunt and he was a buck so I aimed and shot at what I thought was his side covered by brush, nothing. Other side bang nothing, just stood there. I chambered another round and looked up to see the big buck marching up the hill above the trees. I was aiming at his back and he maybe had 25 yards before he was up and over and gone. I was ready to pull the triggger when he stopped and turned broadside to look back at me. I put the crosshairs of my 3x9 leupold " I bought used from Sioux sporting goods with grass mowing money" on the top of his back above his front shoulder and pulled the trigger. He went straight down and started to roll and roll and roll. I think I almost beat him to the bottom of that draw! I was stunned standing there looking at him..no gun. I'd left that up where I took the shot. Then I took off running as fast as I could back to camp! I ripped open the door out of breath and shouted out I'd shot a big mule deer buck! They were all just finishing up eating and thought I was pulling their legs and had gotten a ride back since there was no way I could be back at the camper that soon ha ha! We got back over there and I showed them were my rifle was where I took the shot and where the buck had been standing across on that butte. They said it had to have been 450 yards, we all went down there and no one could believe how big his body and rack were. We had no cameras with of course, sure wish we had. But i remember all of us helping drag the entire critter down that drainage for at least a mile or more, we were beat. It was getting toward evening when we got him up on the side of the road. I remember all the hunters that stopped and admired him and shook my hand that day, it was something I will never forget. I ended up even winning the local big buck contest, I think I won a buck knife. And then the coolest thing happened.. I was raised by a single mother and we didn't have much. The good men of the local sportsman's club took my buck to a taxidermist and had it mounted for me. I believe his name was Lawrence Ketterling in Lehr, it costed $75 to get mounted that I paid for mowing lawns that next summer. The mount still hangs in my shop to this very day, and my youngest has that .243. :)
The good old days!

Chad's 1st buck.jpg

chads first buck mount.jpg

Tinesdown

>
Yes drew 4C my first time applying at 14 years old I believe. Members of my family also drew and we walked our butts off and weren't seeing hardly any deer. Everyone met at the blazer and were going to head back to the old little single axle bubble camper for lunch. I said I would walk this big drainage back, it was a couple miles long. The blazer headed out and I walked up over the hill to look down into this drainage and there on the other side was this big beautiful muley buck trailing a doe nose on her butt oblivious to me on the opposite side at about 450 yards. I got down on my belly and chambered a round into my .243 Winchester featherweight. But he had chased her into a big patch trees on the side of the hill. I could see completely around it if they scooted out and I scanned into it trying to find him. There at the base of it was a small fork horn standing in waist high brush staring up at me. This was my first deer hunt and he was a buck so I aimed and shot at what I thought was his side covered by brush, nothing. Other side bang nothing, just stood there. I chambered another round and looked up to see the big buck marching up the hill above the trees. I was aiming at his back and he maybe had 25 yards before he was up and over and gone. I was ready to pull the triggger when he stopped and turned broadside to look back at me. I put the crosshairs of my 3x9 leupold " I bought used from Sioux sporting goods with grass mowing money" on the top of his back above his front shoulder and pulled the trigger. He went straight down and started to roll and roll and roll. I think I almost beat him to the bottom of that draw! I was stunned standing there looking at him..no gun. I'd left that up where I took the shot. Then I took off running as fast as I could back to camp! I ripped open the door out of breath and shouted out I'd shot a big mule deer buck! They were all just finishing up eating and thought I was pulling their legs and had gotten a ride back since there was no way I could be back at the camper that soon ha ha! We got back over there and I showed them were my rifle was where I took the shot and where the buck had been standing across on that butte. They said it had to have been 450 yards, we all went down there and no one could believe how big his body and rack were. We had no cameras with of course, sure wish we had. But i remember all of us helping drag the entire critter down that drainage for at least a mile or more, we were beat. It was getting toward evening when we got him up on the side of the road. I remember all the hunters that stopped and admired him and shook my hand that day, it was something I will never forget. I ended up even winning the local big buck contest, I think I won a buck knife. And then the coolest thing happened.. I was raised by a single mother and we didn't have much. The good men of the local sportsman's club took my buck to a taxidermist and had it mounted for me. I believe his name was Lawrence Ketterling in Lehr, it costed $75 to get mounted that I paid for mowing lawns that next summer. The mount still hangs in my shop to this very day, and my youngest has that .243. :)
The good old days!

Chad's 1st buck.jpg

Great buck reminds me of the genes that are present but hard to get present day tall prolly 23 in tall good deer southern or northrrn part of 4c i know the northern part of 4c well landowners 15 20 years ago were cool let a guy hunt, its diff today i hope some ranches are not turning to play to pay

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
The good old days!

Chad's 1st buck.jpg

That's one hell of a first deer!! My son's first walleye was 28in/ 7.5lbs when he was three: After a bit I had to stop folks from telling him he "had nothing to look forward too": WTF is THAT?!!

Did you get this same shit?

Tinesdown

>

Great buck reminds me of the genes that are present but hard to get present day tall prolly 23 in tall good deer southern or northrrn part of 4c i know the northern part of 4c well landowners 15 20 years ago were cool let a guy hunt, its diff today i hope some ranches are not turning to play to pay
7 years old.
.410 single shot with a slug. Was frozen SO BAD.
Doe, in the head at like 20 feet.
Yeah man are u from eastern no dak have trolled on some of your posts antler hunting has become popular but all private land is great i hunt public personally an very fresh deer sheds so it been my worst year ever but im in williams an mckenzie county so very few deer with the die off seeing sme fawns but hard to rebuild

Tinesdown

That's one hell of a first deer!! My son's first walleye was 28in/ 7.5lbs when he was three: After a bit I had to stop folks from telling him he "had nothing to look forward too": WTF is THAT?!!

Did you get this same shit?
No thats bs your boy can be a hell of a fisherman im looking at the eye logistics dumb people are a dime a dozen but also dont make him a walleye snob!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
No thats bs your boy can be a hell of a fisherman im looking at the eye logistics dumb people are a dime a dozen but also dont make him a walleye snob!
dude i wuz axin if 5575 wuz told he couldt do better. The boyz a bassfisherman at heart.

For the sake of your future; please watch the movie "Idiocrasy" then work on your spelling, writing and grammar. We're glad to have new/young folks on here:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 62
  • This month: 55