First time to Devils lake

bones32

I will be going to devils lake for the first time next month. Just looking for a general idea on how to fish it depths colors and what not. Targeting perch and walleye mainly. Might look for some pike as well and help is greatly appreciated. Good Luck on the ice to everyone.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lake access in the winter is usually the biggest obstacle, A lot can change between now and then. If you ask around when it's closer to when you are going you should be able to get ice and snow reports and follow the trails and find holes where others have been fishing and keep trying spots till you start catching fish. I stick to the basics , Bare hook and a minnow , small jigs and wax worms, Swedish pimples , Jigging raps with minnow head. Even better if you have a snowmobile so you can do some scouting. Good Luck

Ohh and let us know how you do......... I'm chicken of driving on early ice so I'm dragging my feet but we are gaining on it.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Forget every single damn Jason Mitchel episode you've ever seen and totally lower your expectations.

However, you can improve your luck by scouting. You'll want to pick up one of these, for sure:

IMGP8049.jpg

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
Talk to the resorts, read the reports pages on the devils lake tourism site, and be ready to drill a lot of holes. Walleyes and Pike will be on pretty much every piece of structure on the lake. If you really want perch I'd consider hiring a guide day one.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
A lake map is a must that shows lake contours, don't be afraid to try areas that you don't think hold fish expect to plan your trip around the weather meaning with such a various depths of water from 2 to 60 feet barometric pressure will be a huge factor when looking for perch. Black tiger bay, east bay Jerusalem bay are good places to start for perch. Good luck devils is a cold winch

eyehunter

Talk to the resorts, read the reports pages on the devils lake tourism site, and be ready to drill a lot of holes. Walleyes and Pike will be on pretty much every piece of structure on the lake. If you really want perch I'd consider hiring a guide day one.

I will be heading up there on new year's. I haven't heard much of a report for the ice so far. I know with the size of the lake that it will vary greatly, and I'll confirm when I get out there, but just curious what people are seeing.

I know of Perch Patrol, but are there any other guides out there for Perch? I am bringing my brother in law from the twin cities and neither of us have fished the lake before.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
www.devilslakefishingreport.com and buy your way points. Boom.

I will be going to devils lake for the first time next month. Just looking for a general idea on how to fish it depths colors and what not. Targeting perch and walleye mainly. Might look for some pike as well and help is greatly appreciated. Good Luck on the ice to everyone.

Redneck1

You certainly won't have to "lòok" for the pike. They'll find you! wherever you are. The pike are tastier than the perch n walleye anyway.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88