shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
stolen pic from fb
FB_IMG_1686457503686.jpg

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was out there this weekend for our annual guys trip and I would say out of the last 8 years doing it this was by far the best quality of fish we have experienced there. Usually its endless 13-14"ers but this year it was limits of 16-20" fish and fast and furious!
What was the winning strategy?

1850reata

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kept it simple and pulled slow death with gold helicopter blades. Friday night fished 7-11' in a shallow bay. Sat morn was dead calm so we went to the patience point area and found stacks of em in 16-19'.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Largemouth don't grow to world class size in this climate. Southern states like FL, TX, AL produce big largemouth. Smallies rule the north.
True for the most part. I saw Al Linder catch an easy double digit out of Nelson Lake about twenty years ago--maybe not that long ago--I think he was still with InFisherman.

Also; if I were King of GF I'd do an experimental stocking of redfish with tracking tags. Saw a show today about reds in virtually fresh water. It was considered brackish yet more on the fresh side of the scale. They develop a cool looking blue patch on their lower tails. I've done some "research" on this subject and believe DL may be on the razor's edge of temperature tolerance in winter.

There's some private lakes in FL stocked with barramundi. They kill off every now and then when global warming produces a lasting cold front.

Last edited:

Slappy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
True for the most part. I saw Al Linder catch an easy double digit out of Nelson Lake about twenty years ago--maybe not that long ago--I think he was still with InFisherman.

Also; if I were King of GF I'd do an experimental stocking of redfish with tracking tags. Saw a show today about reds in virtually fresh water. It was considered brackish yet more on the fresh side of the scale. They develop a cool looking blue patch on their lower tails. I've done some "research" on this subject and believe DL may be on the razor's edge of temperature tolerance in winter.

There's some private lakes in FL stocked with barramundi. They kill off every now and then when global warming produces a lasting cold front.
Nelson Lake is the warmest water body in the state as it is heated by the Minnkota power plant for which the lake was created. The reigning state record largemouth was caught there 30 years ago and weighed 8.5 lbs.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nelson Lake is the warmest water body in the state as it is heated by the Minnkota power plant for which the lake was created. The reigning state record largemouth was caught there 30 years ago and weighed 8.5 lbs.
Al easily beat and released that on camera in the asscrack of winter. I'll do a YT search. Some Florida genetics in that lake would be beyond amazing for ND--like pheasants from China.

Can't find it.

Last edited:

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Idk. I know the Hmongs get a lot of hate but you can’t tell they are taking even a fraction out of that lake that the boat fisherman are. When ever I go there there are hundreds more boats on the water with three four guys more than likely catching limits compared to the few vehicles I see around the bridges. Yeah at certain times a year they might line up along shore but I still don’t think it even comes close to what the boats are bringing in

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Idk. I know the Hmongs get a lot of hate but you can’t tell they are taking even a fraction out of that lake that the boat fisherman are. When ever I go there there are hundreds more boats on the water with three four guys more than likely catching limits compared to the few vehicles I see around the bridges. Yeah at certain times a year they might line up along shore but I still don’t think it even comes close to what the boats are bringing in
Wrong . 20 white bass compared to 5 walleye and it’s a lot of cars not a few .

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 113
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84