What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
General
General Discussion
Fishing---Why is XXX species your favorite?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Duckslayer100" data-source="post: 134816" data-attributes="member: 1485"><p>Honestly, as much as I may enjoy catching walleyes (and I really, really do) my real fishing love is chasing crappies. </p><p></p><p>My grandparents on dad's side are from far NE MN, way up in the iron range. While walleyes certainly hold their appeal, it's the crappies that are king there. </p><p></p><p>I'll never forget getting into grandpa's tippy aluminum rowboat with a Zebco rod and metal minnow container, and chasing after them like we were on some stealth quest for sand flat bone fish. He'd whisper instructions to me, and gently row us to an overturned tree or sunken brush or whatever, before gingerly lipping a crappie minnow onto a small 1/8 ounce pink jig under a slip bobber. Then we'd ever so delicately cast, trying to make as little splash as possible. If nothing took it immediately, he gave a slow pull of line before letting the bobber come to a stop again. </p><p></p><p>When one of those bobbers slowly started sinking sideways out of site, grandpa let loose UNHOLY FURY upon whichever unsuspecting paper lip were duped into their doom. His hooksets on those crappies would make a tournament bass angler blush. </p><p></p><p>For much of my life, I've considered crappies something to treasure. A rare treat that could only be targeted with the utmost care in the immediately hour before sunset and not a minute earlier. </p><p></p><p>I've since discovered they're a bit heartier and more feisty than grandpa let on, but that's all I knew for a long time. </p><p></p><p>Plus they're the best tasting fish in fresh water. </p><p></p><p>God, I'm salivating now...</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Duckslayer100, post: 134816, member: 1485"] Honestly, as much as I may enjoy catching walleyes (and I really, really do) my real fishing love is chasing crappies. My grandparents on dad's side are from far NE MN, way up in the iron range. While walleyes certainly hold their appeal, it's the crappies that are king there. I'll never forget getting into grandpa's tippy aluminum rowboat with a Zebco rod and metal minnow container, and chasing after them like we were on some stealth quest for sand flat bone fish. He'd whisper instructions to me, and gently row us to an overturned tree or sunken brush or whatever, before gingerly lipping a crappie minnow onto a small 1/8 ounce pink jig under a slip bobber. Then we'd ever so delicately cast, trying to make as little splash as possible. If nothing took it immediately, he gave a slow pull of line before letting the bobber come to a stop again. When one of those bobbers slowly started sinking sideways out of site, grandpa let loose UNHOLY FURY upon whichever unsuspecting paper lip were duped into their doom. His hooksets on those crappies would make a tournament bass angler blush. For much of my life, I've considered crappies something to treasure. A rare treat that could only be targeted with the utmost care in the immediately hour before sunset and not a minute earlier. I've since discovered they're a bit heartier and more feisty than grandpa let on, but that's all I knew for a long time. Plus they're the best tasting fish in fresh water. God, I'm salivating now... [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: svnmag
Today at 12:26 AM
Gasoline pump prices
Latest: Davy Crockett
Yesterday at 9:11 PM
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:36 PM
DUI Attorney
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:31 PM
J
Mandan Data center pushback
Latest: jer79
Yesterday at 8:29 PM
ESOX
Latest: SDMF
Yesterday at 8:24 PM
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: eyexer
Yesterday at 6:31 PM
SOLD
2007 Ford Taurus
Latest: Zogman
Yesterday at 5:03 PM
K-Drill Blade Sharpening Gone
Latest: Slappy
Tuesday at 12:02 PM
RAIN!!!!
Latest: KDM
Tuesday at 9:29 AM
Tailrace
Latest: MSA
Tuesday at 8:22 AM
L
Jap Beatles
Latest: LBrandt
Monday at 1:40 PM
N
Soybeans
Latest: ndlongshot
Monday at 1:35 PM
Guys with a Yeti....
Latest: johnr
Monday at 10:30 AM
Left Hand Remington Stocks
Latest: SupressYourself
Monday at 8:41 AM
Banks Stump Feeder
Latest: Shockwave
Saturday at 11:24 PM
FLOCK Cameras...Thoughts
Latest: Jiffy
Saturday at 9:51 PM
L
EHD is back..AGAIN!
Latest: LBrandt
Friday at 6:03 PM
D
Any youth hunter stories?
Latest: dsharp83
Friday at 12:20 PM
Sale
6.5 Creed Barrel - Savage
Latest: SupressYourself
Friday at 8:39 AM
Sale
4 Youth Model rifles
Latest: Lycanthrope
Sep 24, 2026
Friends of NDA
Forums
General
General Discussion
Fishing---Why is XXX species your favorite?
Top
Bottom