What's new
Forums
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Pics
Videos
Fishing Reports
Classifieds
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Members
Resources
Whopper Club
Politics
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
General
General Discussion
Fishing---Why is XXX species your favorite?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Captainbrad" data-source="post: 134820" data-attributes="member: 320"><p>What a great thread.</p><p></p><p>As just about everyone knows on here, I am a catfish guy. I will admit that I just like to catch fish, I have a place at Devils Lake so I chase my fair share of walleyes too but catfish are my true love.</p><p></p><p>I will tell you how I got to this point. I was brought up on a farm in NW ND in a basically non hunting and fishing home. It is just something that my parents don't do that much. I loved to hunt when I was in high school but fishing was never a big deal to me. It was not until after college that I decided I wanted to go fishing. I caught some small pike in MN and it was just a blast. I started out shore fishing for bluegills and whatever I could catch from shore then quickly moved into a 14' boat and within two years was into a 17' boat and going to Devils Lake every weekend. Then came the ice fishing thing.</p><p></p><p>It was about five years into my love of driving to Devils Lake that I was introduced to the Red River and caught a catfish. It was only about 6 pounds but I was all in after that battle. I bought bigger gear and catfished just about every weeknight and still went to Devils Lake on weekends. Over the years it was that fight that kept me coming back for more. How to beat the fish to catch more and bigger to get the rush of the battle. ITS ABOUT THE FIGHT! is now my slogan for my guide service which will enter into its 10th year in 2017. My biggest thrill of guiding is getting new people who opened up their minds to try this catfish thing get into a hog and experience the fight of their lives. I always ask "have you ever caught a walleye that big with a fight like that?"</p><p></p><p>I still get the "you catch what, where?" reaction when I tell people what I do for a living. I still get a kick out of angering the walleye snobs with my bug eye bait fish comments. This is because I am a cat guy in a walleye world. </p><p></p><p>The bottom line is we should enjoy and respect catching all fish. In the end I don't care what I catch as long as I am catching it. We have so many great opportunities here in the north and we should take advantage of it all.</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Captainbrad, post: 134820, member: 320"] What a great thread. As just about everyone knows on here, I am a catfish guy. I will admit that I just like to catch fish, I have a place at Devils Lake so I chase my fair share of walleyes too but catfish are my true love. I will tell you how I got to this point. I was brought up on a farm in NW ND in a basically non hunting and fishing home. It is just something that my parents don't do that much. I loved to hunt when I was in high school but fishing was never a big deal to me. It was not until after college that I decided I wanted to go fishing. I caught some small pike in MN and it was just a blast. I started out shore fishing for bluegills and whatever I could catch from shore then quickly moved into a 14' boat and within two years was into a 17' boat and going to Devils Lake every weekend. Then came the ice fishing thing. It was about five years into my love of driving to Devils Lake that I was introduced to the Red River and caught a catfish. It was only about 6 pounds but I was all in after that battle. I bought bigger gear and catfished just about every weeknight and still went to Devils Lake on weekends. Over the years it was that fight that kept me coming back for more. How to beat the fish to catch more and bigger to get the rush of the battle. ITS ABOUT THE FIGHT! is now my slogan for my guide service which will enter into its 10th year in 2017. My biggest thrill of guiding is getting new people who opened up their minds to try this catfish thing get into a hog and experience the fight of their lives. I always ask "have you ever caught a walleye that big with a fight like that?" I still get the "you catch what, where?" reaction when I tell people what I do for a living. I still get a kick out of angering the walleye snobs with my bug eye bait fish comments. This is because I am a cat guy in a walleye world. The bottom line is we should enjoy and respect catching all fish. In the end I don't care what I catch as long as I am catching it. We have so many great opportunities here in the north and we should take advantage of it all. [/QUOTE]
Verification
What is the most common fish caught on this site?
Post reply
Recent Posts
What are you listening to these days?
Latest: svnmag
Today at 12:26 AM
Gasoline pump prices
Latest: Davy Crockett
Yesterday at 9:11 PM
Scheels Bismarck
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:36 PM
DUI Attorney
Latest: Obi-Wan
Yesterday at 8:31 PM
J
Mandan Data center pushback
Latest: jer79
Yesterday at 8:29 PM
ESOX
Latest: SDMF
Yesterday at 8:24 PM
NFL News (Vikings)
Latest: eyexer
Yesterday at 6:31 PM
SOLD
2007 Ford Taurus
Latest: Zogman
Yesterday at 5:03 PM
K-Drill Blade Sharpening Gone
Latest: Slappy
Tuesday at 12:02 PM
RAIN!!!!
Latest: KDM
Tuesday at 9:29 AM
Tailrace
Latest: MSA
Tuesday at 8:22 AM
L
Jap Beatles
Latest: LBrandt
Monday at 1:40 PM
N
Soybeans
Latest: ndlongshot
Monday at 1:35 PM
Guys with a Yeti....
Latest: johnr
Monday at 10:30 AM
Left Hand Remington Stocks
Latest: SupressYourself
Monday at 8:41 AM
Banks Stump Feeder
Latest: Shockwave
Saturday at 11:24 PM
FLOCK Cameras...Thoughts
Latest: Jiffy
Saturday at 9:51 PM
L
EHD is back..AGAIN!
Latest: LBrandt
Friday at 6:03 PM
D
Any youth hunter stories?
Latest: dsharp83
Friday at 12:20 PM
Sale
6.5 Creed Barrel - Savage
Latest: SupressYourself
Friday at 8:39 AM
Sale
4 Youth Model rifles
Latest: Lycanthrope
Sep 24, 2026
Friends of NDA
Forums
General
General Discussion
Fishing---Why is XXX species your favorite?
Top
Bottom