Fixed vs Mechanical Broadheads

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is everyone shooting out there for broadheads for big game? For you guys shooting fixed broadheads, how much tuning/adjusting did you have to do?? What have you had the best luck with?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Montec 3 blade fixed for me.

Went right where I shoot with field points so I was done looking for a broadhead.

Have killed two bucks with them. One at 65 yd and one at 6.5 yd.

Both went same distance. Maybe 100 yd.

They also slice through ground blind walls effectively. But they don't' fly straight when they do. Waaaaaaa....

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whichever that is the most accurate,, I shoot NAP Killzones,, Wanted to switch to single-bevel cutthroats this year but couldn't get them to hit with my field points.. so stuck with Killzones,, killed appox. 10-12 deer/antelope with them. Only complaint is the lack of consistent pass thrus.

Last edited:

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
I am trying the slick trick viper tricks this year, I've shot them to 40 yards so far without having to tune.

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
After seeing an elk go down after taking a hit from a fixed broadhead i was sold. I have shot 3 blade montecs and now im trying Wasp Havalons. Cant wait to get them in the mail to see how they shoot!

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm shooting Magus Black Hornet 125 4-blades. They fly just like my field points, as did the Magus Stingers before them.

In general, if your broadheads are the same weight as your field points, but don't group with them, it means your bow is not as well tuned as you think. Break out the paper and bare-shaft tune those arrows. That will tighten up your field point groups as well.

The black hornets are a good solid head -- killed 1 elk and 2 deer so far, all pass-throughs -- but are not 'hair shaving sharp' out of the package, so I had to learn how to sharpen them. -- That's another thing that is often overlooked. People think because a head is new, it's sharp. Well... not necessarily. If you can't shave with them, there's room for improvement. Even if you get a pass-through, if it's not super sharp, the head could be just pushing tissue out of the way instead of cutting it.

Last edited:

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
NAP Killzones for me. They didn't require any tuning with my setup. Used to shoot the Montecs also and they also shot right with my field points, but I like the bloodtrail better from the mechanicals.

Nelly

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use 100 gr. Magnus Stinger 2 Blades. Complete pass through on Moose, Multiple deer, 4 antelope, coyote, turkeys, 2 black bears, and 1 Alaskan grizzly. Fly the same as my field points. I have been using them for about 20 years and have never wanted to switch. I can easily sharpen them right in the field every time as I load the arrow to freshen up the edges. Another reason is that they carry a lifetime warranty that I have used a few times. Broke one in half and sent it in. New one in the mail within 3 weeks or less with no questions asked. For this, I am a loyal Magnus shooter.

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
What is your finished arrow weight and FOC? I went full retard on the heavy arrow / high FOC path and have 100% pass-throughs since.

Can you give me more details on your setup, either on here or pm me? I upped my arrow weight and foc but am limited to shooting 60 lbs. with my current shoulder situation. Just trying to find the right balance of weight and speed. Thanks

man in the box

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not sure if this is allowed or not, and if not I apologize. If anyone listens to the "Meat Eater" podcast, he had some older guy on there that does/did non biased testing with broadheads. I'm not much of a bow guy, but it was fascinating all of the varying aspects when it comes down to what actually does the most damage. Episode 284 if interested.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never had to wonder if my fixed blade broadhead "deployed" like it was supposed to. Just Sayin'!

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is your finished arrow weight and FOC? I went full retard on the heavy arrow / high FOC path and have 100% pass-throughs since.

finish arrow is 430, I shoot the 125 grains heads but dont know my foc.. I am thinking i need to add a 50gr insert to get me to 480 to help get the arrows to pass thru.. thoughts?

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can you give me more details on your setup, either on here or pm me? I upped my arrow weight and foc but am limited to shooting 60 lbs. with my current shoulder situation. Just trying to find the right balance of weight and speed. Thanks

I've also been trying to find the right balance.
The last two years I was running a 250 spine Victory Xtorsion with 3 blazers in a right-hand helical, 75gr insert, 125gr head and Nocturnal lighted nock at 622.7gr finished weight.
That thing is a hammer, but past 50 yards, due to the weight, my pin gaps were larger than I'd like, which makes yardage estimation a lot more important.
So this year, I'm running a 300 spine Black Eagle Rampage, with 3 blazers in a right-hand helical, 50gr insert, 80gr insert weights, 125gr head, and Nocturnal lighted nock at 527.9gr finished weight, and 20.8% FOC.
My 50 and 60 yard pin gaps are now pretty much the same as the rest, and while I lost about 100gr from my previous arrow, I increased FOC by 7%, so I have no doubt it will perform.

I shoot a 70# bow, and a pretty fast one at that, but if you're shooting inside 50 yards, you're probably not giving up much with a 60# bow. Anything over 500gr and like 15% FOC will hammer. More is better for penetration, but again, there's a balance to strike.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shoot both. Muzzy 3-blade 100 grain fixed, and some 100 grain 3-blad Rage mechanicals. I've had deer go less than 20 yards with both setups, so it definitely is more the "Indian than the arrow" in my case. If I put it where it needs to go, deer die.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
finish arrow is 430, I shoot the 125 grains heads but dont know my foc.. I am thinking i need to add a 50gr insert to get me to 480 to help get the arrows to pass thru.. thoughts?

You can calculate FOC using this: FOC Calculator & How to Calculate Arrow Front of Center (bowhunting.com)
480 is not bad, but I would prefer to be over 500gr and 15% FOC. The Ranch Fairy would say 550gr is the minimum for an "adult arrow", but I think he's mostly shooting pretty short range.
One thing to keep in mind is that as you increase arrow weight, you need a stiffer spine, so it's not always as simple as just adding front weight to an existing arrow. Perfect arrow flight is nearly as important as arrow weight and FOC for penetration.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 208
  • This month: 182
  • This month: 165
  • This month: 140
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 98
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 90