flashing ecu

620ranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
any thoughts on flashing ecu on 225 yami 4s. is the gain really worth it and will it create problems down the road

620ranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
i looked into that simon motorsports company but i havent heard if it is worth it or if it will create problems

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have no special knowledge of flashing Yamaha engines, but I will say that in EVERY case flashing voids the warranty. If you're already out of the warranty period, enter at your own risk. Otherwise, I wouldn't stick my neck out.

There are probably some motorheads on here that have a lot more knowledge than myself. Just saying, be careful with those kinds of tweaks.

- - - Updated - - -

The main reason I'd hold back is I don't know what other HP levels the Yammi 225 engine is common with. If they're using the same engine and different programming for a 250 or even higher, your risk level for problems caused by flashing would be virtually nill. In either case the warranty is void if they find out it's been flashed.

Founding Member
Founding Member
With the verado, your pretty much doing exactly what merc does. As the 250-300s are all the exact same motors. Just different mapping and stickers. Yamahas you don't gain as much,I'd probably leave well enough alone.

ndskeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it depends on what Yamaha motor you are running. I believe all the new offshore Yamaha outboards 225 and up are the exact same motor. Let me know what you decide to do 620ranger as I have a newer Yamaha 250 offshore that I've considered flashing after my warranty expires.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
You must have missed my posts in that thread then, I have my Yamaha 150 4 stroke re-flashed and it is absolutely worth it in how much smoother it runs overall and it gets a ton better fuel economy. These re-flashes on OEM 4 strokes are not truly high performance tunes they merely improve on the OEM stuff. They do not add enough power to cause any issues and from my experience will most likely cause better longevity and reliability in the end.

DO IT!!! You will not be disappointed. But I would wait until off warranty if you have any left.

Sub_Elect

Founding Member
Founding Member
You will see gains with a Yamaha. Maybe even bigger gains than Merc. Yamaha tunes their engines on the conservative side so they don't have as many warranty issues. In general, on a boat running 55-60 it takes 7 hp to gain 1 mph. On a boat running 60-65 it takes 10 hp per mph. I would guess with the 225 you are getting around 52 to 54 mph. With a tune up to 250 I would imagine 56 to 57 mph and 300 tune it would run around 60. Hell, it may blow 60 out of the water, just remember, if you get all that extra speed, you are going to have to start reproping your boat. So a $800 remapped computer turns into a $800 computer and about $500 in gas and prop testing, then $1000 for a custom prop to squeeze every last ounce out of the boat. Haha, first world problems suck!

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
From all of the forums I am on Yamaha is conservative on their engine rating from the start, all the dyno #'s have show that Yamaha 4 strokes are usually around 5-10%+- higher or more than what they are marked at. Simon claims about 10-25 hp gains with the flashes which is nothing substantial in terms of causing any issues.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would do it. all it's doing is changing the fuel injection mapping and timing to correspond with it. Will make the engine perform better all around. I actually have a controller on my kids motocross bike and change the mapping all the time. Has an 02 sensor on the exhaust and collects the data in practice in the morning. I remap to the days conditions to achieve max power every time he races it.

620ranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
they say that a 225 yammi is only putting out 208 hp so i dont think it would come close to the 250 which they say is putting out 260 hp. Iwas told to call in my serial # and they would see if its the same block as the 250 just with a different ecu and other small stuff.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 60
  • This month: 54
  • This month: 49
  • This month: 48
  • This month: 41
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34