F'n beavers!!!!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tannerite (sp) works on the beaver dams quite well too

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
The dam is about 75' from highway 22, and not on my property so tannerite might raise some eyebrows. of course could just blame it on oilfield trash. I actually don't mind the dam as I like the higher water level but I don't like losing trees or bushes.

Do beavers and muskrat hang out together? I shot a rat one day and the old hyde was mad enough to spit, so if I want to hit that beaver again, I need to make sure it is a beaver in my sights. I saw one last night but I raised my binos to check it out and he busted me. Do beaver sit on the bank and chew plants like a rat?

muddy11

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your going to shot them setup on the river by their house about an hour before sunset, they get active in twilight and head out. Good news your choke cherries will look great in 2 years from the pruning.

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can access the dam, go over there and start ripping it apart. Mess it up enough to increase water flow through it. The beavers will know something is up with the dam and come to check it out. We used this tactic many times at my parents place and others and it works great. They come swimming in and I had live target practice with my deer rifle! A 30.06 and .270 do a number to the head of a beaver;) Even if your property is not by the dam, you may catch them coming by your place to check it out.

MT11

Founding Member
Founding Member
Like someone else said go buy yourself some traps and ask someone to show you some tricks of the trade.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can access the dam, go over there and start ripping it apart. Mess it up enough to increase water flow through it. The beavers will know something is up with the dam and come to check it out. We used this tactic many times at my parents place and others and it works great. They come swimming in and I had live target practice with my deer rifle! A 30.06 and .270 do a number to the head of a beaver;) Even if your property is not by the dam, you may catch them coming by your place to check it out.

This would happy number one son very happy. He wants to go terrorize them. I am a more sit and be patient plinker. My worry if we mess up the dam is the trees will get hit again to make repairs. So far seems like they have not came back to my yard. Maybe they are dead. I haven't heard a tail splash lately. I assume hunting pressure may make them more nocturnal or avoid the "stretch of death". I have to go back to work tomorrow so they may get a breather.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ugly but beats losing trees.
wirewrappedtree.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 190
  • This month: 153
  • This month: 142
  • This month: 137