Frame packs: Overwhelmed

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've come to the realization that I will likely forever be going into bigger areas, and walking further in them, to get deer. And while I'd love to be able to drag deer back to the pickup like I always have, the reality is that many of these areas are prohibitive to such transportation methods. That, and I'm not getting any younger.

So that brings me to frame packs and, frankly, I'm overwhelmed.

Here's what I know about what I need:

-- I'm likely never going west to hunt anything, so a pack to haul elk quarters is unnecessary.
-- I don't need it to lug around a bunch of camping gear. Just daily basics.
-- If it has something to hold a bow or a rifle, that's a bonus, but not necessary
-- I don't mind spending a good amount for a quality piece, but I'd also like to keep it reasonable ($300 or less if possible).

Any suggestions on brands to try or, maybe better yet, steer clear of? Also, suggestions on the type of game bags to buy for keeping meat well from the field to the truck?

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kuiu, Kuiu, and Kuiu. I have an older Icon Pro 7200 that has carried many elk and deer. I've loaded it up with so much meat that I can't even stand up straight, and it has handled it.

https://www.kuiu.com/pages/hunting-backpack-comparison-guide
I guess they're a little above your price range, but you won't regret spending a little more on quality gear.
From your description, I'd say probably the Pro 3600 or Pro LT 4000.

I would never carry a quarter of anything anywhere. Bone that thing out. Kuiu's boned out meat bags are also excellent.
https://www.kuiu.com/products/kuiu-boned-out-game-bag-white?variant=40479566037150

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've packed out a couple mulie bucks with my Eberlestock RMEF pack. It's just about the perfect size for a boned out deer. I don't have a ton of experience with other brands other than a Badlands Super Day pack. I boned out a buck and hauled it out in that thing... that fricken sucked horrible. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

It sounds to me like that RMEF eberlestock pack would be perfect for you. If I remember right it does have a sleeve to slide a rifle into. I just don't use it as my guns have long barrels and suppressors.

https://eberlestock.com/collections/hunting-packs/products/team-elk-pack?variant=16875766775859

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How far you going? I still use an Alps Commander to haul moose out. I'd have to look at mine (it's on a plane to moose camp) if you can use the gun sling without having a bag on it. Not sure if you can. I typically carry my gun and will just strap a dry bag on it with my gear for day hunting. It's an alright pack for heavy (100++ lb) and short loads less than a 1/2 mile; or lighter loads under 100 lbs are pretty manageable over a couple miles. Before I had a good internal pack I once used it to haul a bear and camp split with another guy 7 miles. Won't do that again. Kelty has a frame with shelf that I know guys use too for moose and get the job done.

Or you can go with the undisputed champion of frame packs. Frontier Gear of Alaska Freighter Frame – Barneys Sports Chalet The Barney's is far and away the best frame pack available. It's what almost every packer in the state uses and for good reason. Far superior suspension over anything else and it's the only frame I've found that incorporates load lifters. I do not own one b/c I can't justify the purchase when I have something that works for me, but I've used them and it's far superior to any other frame I've used.

A lot of guys have started using pulks for hauling meat. I have one of these I take moose hunting for if I get in a pinch. Backcountry Flex Sled Large (airframesalaska.com) I've never even put it together so I can't speak to it, but I know several older guys and guys with bad hips/backs that have extended their years hunting by exclusively using these to haul out moose quarters. They claim they work great hauling over the tundra so I'd expect similar results over the grasslands. Just fold it up and throw it in your day pack. Alternatively, you could get a regular pulk and just keep it at the pickup for when you need it. A single deer would be light work on one. Northern Sled Work Pulks (airframesalaska.com)

As far as game bags, I prefer TAG bags. But if you're going to have everything to the house within a day, I'd just use cheap pillow cases - especially if it's below freezing. Spray meat and/or soak bags in citric acid if it's early warm and bacteria/bugs will be an issue.

edit: I was under the impression you were looking for external frame packs. I see others answered for internal frames. I wouldn't look much past Kifaru or Stone Glacier if that's the case. Something like a Kifaru Stryker XL is the perfect day pack with a meat load shelf. I HATE my Kuiu pack. And I've been a day 1 customer and still buy a lot of their gear, just not a good suspension at all if doing more than about 60 lbs. I think I would use my $100 Alps Commander on an long trip before breaking out my Kuiu frame. Their bags have great layouts though.....

Last edited:

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
TO answer a couple questions and make a clarification:

-- When I said "frame pack" I didn't realize what that encompassed. I won't be scaling Everest. It'll be at most going up a gulley or couteau drainage that is North Dakota's central region.
-- I walk a lot, but what I'm envisioning is 2-3 miles in and 2-3 miles out.
-- Eberlestock was a brand I used to know quite well, back when I thought I'd be moose hunting at some point.
-- I mostly will use this bow hunting, but on the rare chance I pull a ND rifle tag, it'll be used then, too.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kifaru. Its expensive but if you ever do need bigger you can just buy another bag if you have the frame. Even for hunting over here i still smile when i bone a deer out and pack it out comfortably and am able to walk hands free with the gun at the ready with the gun bearer. I had an eberlestock and would not wish that pain on my worst enemy. With no functional load lifters they will make you want to chop your shoulders off

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like stone glacier and exo, but you can’t go wrong with any of em.

Callem'In

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use and Eberlestock F1 frame and multiple vapor bags depending on how long I will be out and/or what I'm bringing with. I hunt with a guy that has the RMEF pack and really likes it. I like the ability to use just the frame if I need. They also are including the scabbard right now with the F1 frame as a bonus.

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
For me they're kind of like boots, just have to try them and see what fits you the best. I started with a badlands and it sucks compared to better packs. I now have a mystery ranch metcalf and an exo mountain gear K3 4800. I give the edge to the exo becuase it is more comfortable on my hips but the mystery ranch was quite a bit cheaper when I bought it.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
3-Gal or 10Gal Ziplock "Big Bags". They're thick, durable, will keep your pack clean, and don't have that photo-degrade chemical that garbage bags have that'll ruin meat.

Tillerman2095

Founding Member
Founding Member
I prefer a modular system for my frame pack and bag setup. Thats why Kifaru works the best for me. Their customer service is great, the gear they make is all American made so that's a plus. And where do you find a company that tests their products for years to find the weakness that it might have before releasing it to the consumer. Alot of the pack's folks have talked about on here work well you just need to find what will work for you.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hey Duck I have a back pack on a frame, it was the best Cabela's sold 20 years ago. Think I paid over 300 for it back then and it might have been called alaskan something. Was real comfortable empty and loaded. If you would like to try PM me. LB

NodakBob

Honored Member
I use a Kuiu pack that is about 1800 bag volume, but the carbon frame is made to expand meat bag space between the frame and pack...so its daypack size but will haul a deer out. That said, eberlstock and some others provide similar choices. I also have a Tenzig frameless day pack which rides more like book bag so it cant support the weight of a wholecut up deer. I also use the new style lightweight meat bags ( mine happen to be kuiu but other brands at scheels look just fine). I use the tenzig when i dont plan on carrying meat in a pack. I also have the hawk tandem axle deer cart which is WAAAY nicer than the cheap single axle deer carts thatnever seem to get balanced...

powerman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Black ovis for game bags and take a look at kifaru and seek outside. I went thru this a few years back when I decided to get a frame pack after a torturous pack out with a sub standard backpack. Stone glacier, exo are a few others to look at. I don't ever want to drag a deer again after getting a kifaru setup

jr2280

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a Mystery Ranch pop up 28. Plenty good for a boned out deer. Has load shelf. I also use this pack hunting coyotes a lot and put a kifaru Gun Bearer on for my rifle. I can carry tripod, foxpro x24, and rifle with much room to spare. If need bigger could go to the pop up 38. Good day pack small hauler for me anyway. I would not pack an elk out with it though.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hey Duck I have a back pack on a frame, it was the best Cabela's sold 20 years ago. Think I paid over 300 for it back then and it might have been called alaskan something. Was real comfortable empty and loaded. If you would like to try PM me. LB

I have the same one only mine is 40 yrs old. It has packed out lots of game and will still continue to use it. Just a very light aluminum frame with nylon bags.

CJR

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a Mystery Ranch Mule. Its a small 1400 cubic inch bag that is the perfect size for a daypack. It has an expandable load shelf so you can easily haul out more weight than I am comfortable carrying. Highly recommend.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
For what you describe,
I'd heavily look into the Mystery Ranch Pop Up 28. They are marked down to approx $250ish at multiple places I think.
The Pop Ups have a telescoping frame that allows you to increase frame length and load lifter functionality for hauling meat. It looks like a decent bag lay out, and has a meat shelf. I was considering one at one point, but went a different route.

TAG, Caribou and Argali are all good game bag brands. Flip a coin.

Last edited:

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Mystery Ranch Pintler on Camofire would be a nice score for around that $300 mark.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 46
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 30
  • This month: 29
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 18
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 14