From the dark abyss

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had this happen to me one winter while fishing the feeder lakes north of devils lake, scared the crap out of me. I was sitting in my flip over had one line in where my vex was on. I turned towards the vex and saw this object which looked like it was frozen staring at me. If anyone has been lucky enough to tangle with the marsh hare you know these little demons have no fear when it comes to facing its enemy. I ended up chasing it back down the hole and left to a different spot. Craziness

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
If anyone has been lucky enough to tangle with the marsh hare you know these little demons have no fear when it comes to facing its enemy

Marsh Hare ? Iv'e never heard them called that before. Did you holler ? When I was preschool my Dad used to take me ice fishing almost every day in the winter and I always had to be quiet because he would pour Oyster shells down the hole and watch northerns all day long. You could have heard a pin drop and all of a sudden the ol man lets out a loud holler and tips over backwards off his stool.

I didn't see the muskrat had came up the hole and scared the heck out of him and when he hollered and fell it scared the heck out of me too. He gets up off the floor and shakes it off and looked out the window and sees a mink had came up one of the outside holes . Furs were a money maker so out the door he goes and takes off following the mink to shore with the pickup till it went under an old pontoon or a dock and he ended up getting it somehow and this story to tell. He figured the mink was chasing the muskrat and they were both running out of oxygen.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spear houses are a special attractant for muskrats it seems. Had many a muskrat pop up while in the spear shack. Fun to watch'em swim around too. Had a mink come up one time and take a lap or two around the shack. That was exciting. Makes a guy jump a bit when a hairy eel pops out of the water right on you shoes. Had to do a bit of clean up after that. LOL!! I think between the two of us, we knocked over my beer, the radio, the spear, the chair, one tackle box, and my coat off the wall. Ah....memories!!!!

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
When i was a kid, dad would boil the legs for the cats, the smell of the flesh always reminded me of the cottontail. Never tried it myself but I would be inclined to try it if someone prepared it for me. Kind of interesting that marsh hare is actually a delicacy in fine restaurants in New York.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use to get that all the time fishing big pike out of Jim Lake north of Jmst. Closer to the reeds, the more you would get. Scare the crap out of you the 1st time.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Snagged one trolling on a lake in Minnesota. Ended up cutting the line cause he was huge and pissed. LB

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
The words musk and rat don’t lead me to thinking about food. I’m not a picky person and I’ve tried tons of different foods that people would turn their noses up at but on this I think I’d pass

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our farm was along they Sheyenne river and we had some bottom hayland. Snow came early and one stack was left behind. Spring floods surrounded the stack about two feet deep and not wanting to loose they hay dad took a team of horse and started hauling hay. It must have been breeding season because the rats were abnormally aggressive. Even with reins in his left hand dad could pitch a muskrat a good distance.
Forgot to mention he used an old four wheel hay rack that was just a few inches above water level.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76