full body dec's

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i grew up in the central flyway and hunted geese and ducks every fall... haven't chased them for decades, and thought i'd check this thread out... we used hilex jugs for geese, then a 94 30-30 winchester to get a deer after the geese had moved through...

wow do i feel old after reading this!!! i got nuthin for ya eye, but good luck...

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
10-30 DOZEN!!!! Holy Hell, where do you hunt?? The biggest spread I've seen where I chase'm is about 6-8 dozen and it's usually ME. I did just expand my spread to about 20 dozen including shells and full bodies, but never set out that many. WOW!!!!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too would say the average is 10 dz. plus. The guys hunting the Missouri River are running 3-400 on a regular basis. And, IMO, birds are getting used to it.

I switched to silos and have seen ZERO difference in how the birds work. Before I sold all my FB's I mixed them and had great hunting.

I know a guy who decided he would run a handful of DSD in an area with guys running hundreds of FB's. He bought into the "highly realistic" versus numbers. That lasted a year and after not shooting any birds he went back to the numbers game. Only "realistic" game that works is stuffers and they are way too much work.

Lots of good decoys out there. Dakotas are the best decoys in the wind that I have used. Bigfoots are the most durable. Avian X are a nice mix. Haven't seen DOA. I had bad experiences with Avery/GHG but their commercial series is supposed to be a good decoy. Nice to have options but it makes it hard to decide. Look for a sale!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The small spreads definitely have there time and place but but often get smoked if they are forced up against numbers especially if both are on good ground. If you get the right setup where all you need is to show them where to land instead of convincing them too land it can be quite effective but you better get the x or your screwd. I've found this especially true with snows as of late....seems like every group is pretty much running the same size spread the same way and a guy can pick them out at 70 mph a half mile away.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
18 big foots, 2 dozen silo and a few giant shells mixed in. Father in law is ups driver so being on the x happens more times than not. Plus not many people hunt waterfowl in North Central Sodak so competition is nothing.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does anyone use silloettes around blinds? I've been thinking of getting some to hide blinds better. What are the best sillos?

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run anywhere from 2 dozen to 4 dozen from early season to late season and always kill a decent amount of birds the biggest thing is scouting, making sure your blinds are stubbled in good, and making sure your dekes or anything else in your spread isn't shining

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone use silloettes around blinds? I've been thinking of getting some to hide blinds better. What are the best sillos?
Guys get a little carried away with putting decoys around the blinds at times especially if they dont put any on the blinds themselves. Doing that often has the opiset effect and makes the blinds stand out. It leaves little donut holes where each blind is. When you fly over decoys it gets real obvious fast when decoys start disappearing and reappearing as they go behind the blinds as you circle the spread.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
less time/money worrying about dekes and more time scouting and finding the x. period

put yourself where other people are not and you will kill geese on the x with shell decoys.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
All through college, back in the early oughts, I wanted a trailer full of full bodies worse than that sweet, sweet college booty running around campus.

Alas, I mostly failed on both accounts. My love life was lackluster, and the four Bigfoots I did manage to acquire took up the entire backseat of my 1994 Geo Prizm.

Not unlike some of the ladies that fell for my charms.

But I digress...

Fast forward more than a decade (yeeeesh...that's tough to say) and I feel like I've tempered somewhat I my pursuit for decoy perfection. For one thing, I don't have the storage capacity or wherewithal to collect several dozen FB decoys. Budget is another concern.

So, not wanting to get left out of the early goose season for lack of decoys, I decided to try another route. My current spread consists of three dozen GHG oversized shells, and four dozen Real Geese silos. That's it. A good mix of 3D realism and 2D bulk, I can pick everything up and store it in the back of my pickup truck, along with a couple blinds, two dogs and kennels, and other assorted gear.

You might not believe me, but it works. If anything, I subconsciously feel undergunned, so overcompensate on concealment. We spend just as much time brushing blinds and getting hid as we do actually setting the spread.

This compared to those college years hunting with buddies who spent more on their decoys than they did tuition. We'd set out dozens upon dozens of the best full bodies they could buy, and then take 15 minutes brushing our blinds. Sometimes it works, but oftentimes we got a lot of "flare" birds that we'd come up with myriad excuses to explain.

The point is, I think if you can afford and store FB decoys, go for it. They do look purdy, and they are a bit easier to deploy. But if you do your homework, have even semi-ability on a call, know when to flag and, above all else, can get and stay hidden, the decoys you use don't matter.

My very tarnished 2 cents, anyway.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
All through college, back in the early oughts, I wanted a trailer full of full bodies worse than that sweet, sweet college booty running around campus.

Alas, I mostly failed on both accounts. My love life was lackluster, and the four Bigfoots I did manage to acquire took up the entire backseat of my 1994 Geo Prizm.

Not unlike some of the ladies that fell for my charms.

But I digress...

Fast forward more than a decade (yeeeesh...that's tough to say) and I feel like I've tempered somewhat I my pursuit for decoy perfection. For one thing, I don't have the storage capacity or wherewithal to collect several dozen FB decoys. Budget is another concern.

So, not wanting to get left out of the early goose season for lack of decoys, I decided to try another route. My current spread consists of three dozen GHG oversized shells, and four dozen Real Geese silos. That's it. A good mix of 3D realism and 2D bulk, I can pick everything up and store it in the back of my pickup truck, along with a couple blinds, two dogs and kennels, and other assorted gear.

You might not believe me, but it works. If anything, I subconsciously feel undergunned, so overcompensate on concealment. We spend just as much time brushing blinds and getting hid as we do actually setting the spread.

This compared to those college years hunting with buddies who spent more on their decoys than they did tuition. We'd set out dozens upon dozens of the best full bodies they could buy, and then take 15 minutes brushing our blinds. Sometimes it works, but oftentimes we got a lot of "flare" birds that we'd come up with myriad excuses to explain.

The point is, I think if you can afford and store FB decoys, go for it. They do look purdy, and they are a bit easier to deploy. But if you do your homework, have even semi-ability on a call, know when to flag and, above all else, can get and stay hidden, the decoys you use don't matter.

My very tarnished 2 cents, anyway.

Not to mention that the hunt atleast for me is more relaxing if i dont have the spector of a hour long decoy pickup session coming after the hunt. When i was younger i didnt care but now the experience of getting the full spread picked up in ten minutes is damn near as rewarding as shooting a limit. After years of 50 to 100 doz full-body spreads i definitely prefer silios and socks for their ease of use now.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
get out of the box. you would be suprised what works. i cant emphasize enough how scouting can influence your next days hunt. most guys see birds in a field and thats where there thought process stops. i want to know who what why when and how. sometimes its simple. sometimes all it takes is one small missed detail and your day is shot. the more you watch the birds the more cards you hold in your hand. case in point. about 5 years ago around freeze up i was watching a megafeed of snows. easily 50k. but so were 3 other trucks. on my way to investigate the roost i noticed a field with less than 5k in it. at first glance i thought "well that aint shit" until i realized what was going on and would be the way it played out the next day. the next day was supposed to be 40 moh nw wind. we let the other guys fight over the mega feed while we set up in the shit field. long story short the birds crawled 5 ft off the ground at us. we had our 100 on the ground in 30 minutes. wish the limit was 50 then cuz we woulda hit it and then sum. i saw what the others may have missed. sometimes its what you miss that limits your best opportunity. scout thoroughly, the strategizing is g
half the fun.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are the best decoys for leading edge snow geese??

A few of the best options I have found (or thought of) for leading edge snow geese, may or may not include decoys-

1- Anti aircraft guns

2- Sneak in the dark to their roost, then Arkansas them as first light

3- Garbage and grocery bags (they work as well as full bodies with leading edge birds)

4' If all else fails, a good double bird from everyone in the decoy spread will at least make you feel better as they fly by at 10,000 feet!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
get out of the box. you would be suprised what works. i cant emphasize enough how scouting can influence your next days hunt. most guys see birds in a field and thats where there thought process stops. i want to know who what why when and how. sometimes its simple. sometimes all it takes is one small missed detail and your day is shot. the more you watch the birds the more cards you hold in your hand. case in point. about 5 years ago around freeze up i was watching a megafeed of snows. easily 50k. but so were 3 other trucks. on my way to investigate the roost i noticed a field with less than 5k in it. at first glance i thought "well that aint shit" until i realized what was going on and would be the way it played out the next day. the next day was supposed to be 40 moh nw wind. we let the other guys fight over the mega feed while we set up in the shit field. long story short the birds crawled 5 ft off the ground at us. we had our 100 on the ground in 30 minutes. wish the limit was 50 then cuz we woulda hit it and then sum. i saw what the others may have missed. sometimes its what you miss that limits your best opportunity. scout thoroughly, the strategizing is g
half the fun.

Some of my best hunts have been on the "little" or "crappy" feed. I finally figured out, especially with snows, that the mega feed isn't always it. Give me a fall hunt in a field with good cover and 5k snows any day over the two sections of geese a few miles away. Same goes for ducks and darks at times too.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are the best decoys for lea 20160727_004008.jpgding edge snow geese??
Apparently traxion and I must hunt the leading edge birds with the same equipment sence this is my goto decoy on tuough snow goose days!

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
DOA decoys are great for durability. They are a one piece design and are known for just being thrown in a pile in the trailer. Ive seen many people transport them this way and the paint still looks great. They just came out with a fully flocked model, they look sick. I had to order a dozen

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 71
  • This month: 52
  • This month: 47
  • This month: 38
  • This month: 36
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 31
  • This month: 28
  • This month: 28