Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarge

I usually purchase my seeds from Prairie Road Organic seeds (based in ND) or High Mowing Seeds (out of Vermont, I think) for some of the specialty varieties. Some of the real basic ones I just wait and pick up at Menards or wherever if I'm not to picky about which variety. I am excited to get working in the garden again (therapeutic), always an exciting time of year trying to figure out where to place everything. Sometimes that can be the hardest part, trying to keep plants rotated properly to avoid disease and increase production. As a reminder, try not to plant nightshade crops(Peppers, Tomatoes, Eggplants, & Potatoes) in the same spot year to year. Also the NDSU website is an awesome resource for information.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/publications/lawns-gardens-trees. I apparently didn't have enough posts to allow in the previous entry.

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys getting your gardens in? I have planted potatoes onions and carrots so far... u guys think its to early for beans? bought some seeds but thinking i might be a little to early

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got mine in last night. Got a smaller garden like 12'x25' at my place in town so just put in spinach,lettuce,carrots,beans,corn and a few hills of potatoes. Hopefully get the big garden planted this weekend at the parents place.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Dad bought tators. He went a little ham. Between my brother and I, I think we have 250 hills. Lol
Got them in last weekend. Hopefully the rest this weekend.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Going to plant beans today. Long range forecast looks good. I plant in 18 gal tubs, about 25 seeds then trim to 15 plants. Plant 2 tubs at a time, then 2 more tubs at 2 week intervals for the next 2 months. Have fresh beans until freeze up. Love those green beans fresh out of the garden. After the first tubs are done with beans, late July I replant with a fast growing carrot for a late fall snack of baby carrots.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive got a lot of stuff I need to get out. Tomatoes already turning red on my indoor plants... Will be nice to not have to water the damn things daily!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does anyone know were to get 4th of July tomato plants in se nd? thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

Wife and I had some BLT sandwiches last night for supper. Those hot house tomatoes taste like watermelon rind only chew'ier . Can't wait for some fresh tomatoes.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone know were to get 4th of July tomato plants in se nd? thanks in advance.

- - - Updated - - -

Wife and I had some BLT sandwiches last night for supper. Those hot house tomatoes taste like watermelon rind only chew'ier . Can't wait for some fresh tomatoes.

Most any place that sells burpee seeds should have it. I know they were at walmart or menards here in bismarck... http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/tomatoes/tomato-fourth-of-july-hybrid-prod000988.html

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Iam gonna try to grow cabbage this year for the first time, Any tips? you buy cabbage plants and not seeds right? thanks for advice

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Iam gonna try to grow cabbage this year for the first time, Any tips? you buy cabbage plants and not seeds right? thanks for advice

I grew cabbage one year about 5 years ago. I've been dealing with cabbage worms ever since. Never again!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bri-guy is right, a lot of time, labor and chemicals to do it right.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have had peas, spinach, lettuce, beets, onions all in for 2-3 weeks already, waiting with the rest for now. Peas are 3" high already, same with spinach and lettuces

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
I grew cabbage one year about 5 years ago. I've been dealing with cabbage worms ever since. Never again!

No kidding?, I didnt know cabbage was hard to grow and there was such a thing as cabbage worms?? Maybe ill try to figure out something better in place of it...thx Maybe swiss chard instead..hmmm

Last edited:

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was tilling my garden today and these little buggers showed up. Let me get to less than ten yards. One of them had a beard that was nearly dragging on the ground. Zero respect for these critters being any type of challenge. IMG_0619.jpg

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have had peas, spinach, lettuce, beets, onions all in for 2-3 weeks already, waiting with the rest for now. Peas are 3" high already, same with spinach and lettuces

Wow that's awesome. Early last week we had more than one night under 20 degrees. My asparagus went limp.(ba dum tish) Had some seeds in those starter kits and they didn't handle the transition very well. I must not have taken the "harden off" stage serious enough. Anyway I have everything in now both seed and some tomatoes I picked up today and the asparagus is coming back well.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was tilling my garden today and these little buggers showed up. Let me get to less than ten yards. One of them had a beard that was nearly dragging on the ground. Zero respect for these critters being any type of challenge. Milla-Jovovich-1987.jpg

ha ha ga - but they chose to come to you and are familiar

pick up a gun and try to go pay them a visit in the wild - see if they stroll around waiting for you to lay them down

Sarge

I guess I am a little late to the party this year. All I have in the ground is some taters left over from last years' harvest. Plan on getting the rest of the potatoes, onions, and everything else that involves direct seeding in the ground this weekend. Just transplanted all of my peppers into larger containers this week and they are all doing great along with my tomatoes that I did a few weeks back. I will wait with both of those until Memorial Day weekend or so. On a side note, I had a spinach plant (from my fall crop) and a Thyme plant survive the winter. I don't know how they made it but they did so that was a welcome surprise. I will be happy when I don't have to carry my starter plants outside any longer to initiate the hardening off and get them some actual real sunshine (not through a window).

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't get all worked up about planting yet. Looks like much colder weather coming next week.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Couldn't help my self got it all in. Strawberries, corn, peas ,beans, carrots, green onions, spinach, two varietys of watermelon and pumpkins

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I found a goldmine of some 20 year old cow and horse shit, the lady thinks its too hot and could make the soil not good to plant in. I have read online that is not the case. Thoughts

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 196
  • This month: 160
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88