First pick.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
What?
Asparagus you putz.

:;:

By the way Brussel sprouts rock.

My bad sorry, I don't like those things in the picture but I do like brussel sprouts since I got the name mixed up. Brussel sprouts stir fry instead of water chesnuts yummy

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yum Yum. Now I need to go look in the morning. Some fresh to go with prime rib for supper would be great.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nope. Tatoes are in and onions and carrots on Saturday.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
mrs johnr rented a 10x10 plot that a local church was renting out for garden space. Looks like I am back into the garden game again.

We are salsa gardeners, so its all tomato, pepper, and onion vegies.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I do both. Yellow bulbs and White shoots. Have nice sandy loam soil so they both do really well. Lots of water and the yellow get to about baseball size and the white get like softball size. The bulbs I plant 4 or 5 inches apart and when they get to golf ball size I pick every other one and steam then put in a cheese sauce. Great eating.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can anyone tell me why my started tomato plants all died? They came up great, got to about 1 1/2" tall where I was just getting ready to thin them. But then, they all wilted and died. I think they were too wet possibly? They appeared very spindly right at the soil. I planted them in seed starting soil. I have restarted them and we will see what happens.

My onions have been in for several weeks. Looking really good. Just did carrots. Funny thing is my cilantro plant that came up from last fall is doing fantastic, even with several freezes. Never would have thought that.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can anyone tell me why my started tomato plants all died? They came up great, got to about 1 1/2" tall where I was just getting ready to thin them. But then, they all wilted and died. I think they were too wet possibly? They appeared very spindly right at the soil. I planted them in seed starting soil. I have restarted them and we will see what happens.

My onions have been in for several weeks. Looking really good. Just did carrots. Funny thing is my cilantro plant that came up from last fall is doing fantastic, even with several freezes. Never would have thought that.

Sounds like too much water. Make sure you have drainage in every container. For seed starting I use Burpee seed starter mix from menards. I do it the hard way. I have a bunch of old storage containers that I start with. Fill about 1.5 inches of moistened mix. Then sprinkle seeds over the top, followed by a thin coat of moistened soil. Then I put them on a heat pad with a cover. The same kits they sell all over. As soon as the first pops up I put them under the lights. After the first set of real leaves pops open I gently separate them into individual pods. Now here is the deal. I always bury the tomatoes a bit just like when I put them in the garden. This way if some are long and spindly they will grow stout. Over the years I have used several types of fertilizer on the young plants. But by far Neptune organic fish fertilizer half strength is the best. The last two years my peppers and tomatoes were greener and stouter than ever.

Sarge

I have peppers and tomatoes going right now as well as a few herbs (rosemary, thyme, and oregano) that I overwintered inside and will replant this spring. Transplanted my tomatoes last night from the smaller 6-pack cells into 4" pots to allow more room so they don't get root bound. I will try and get the peppers transplanted into larger pots this weekend. I also plan on getting potatoes and onions in the ground this weekend as well. Intended to last weekend but fishing came first instead. I usually grow a decent sized garden but am limited by space since I am in town. I usually put a lot of focus on my tomatoes as I make a bunch of pasta/pizza sauce and salsa. My favorite variety so far is called Amish Paste, which is perfect for making sauces. I also use this same variety in my salsa since the water and seed content isn't as high. Here is what I usually grow: Tomatoes, Peppers, Onions, Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano, Dill, Carrots, Beans, Peas, Cantaloupe, Watermelon, Pumpkins, Cucumber, Zucchini, Corn, Potatoes, Beets, Lettuce, Spinach, Rhubarb . I am trying strawberries and raspberries and forgoing the corn this year since my daughters really want a berry patch so we'll see how that goes. I did get the ever bearing variety so I may be able to harvest a late season crop with the strawberries. I try to start everything from seed that I can and save the seeds from year to year with certain plants. I also try to follow organic gardening practices so I don't typically use any pesticides, herbicides, or non organic fertilizers.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have peppers and tomatoes going right now as well as a few herbs (rosemary, thyme, and oregano) that I overwintered inside and will replant this spring. Transplanted my tomatoes last night from the smaller 6-pack cells into 4" pots to allow more room so they don't get root bound. I will try and get the peppers transplanted into larger pots this weekend. I also plan on getting potatoes and onions in the ground this weekend as well. Intended to last weekend but fishing came first instead. I usually grow a decent sized garden but am limited by space since I am in town. I usually put a lot of focus on my tomatoes as I make a bunch of pasta/pizza sauce and salsa. My favorite variety so far is called Amish Paste, which is perfect for making sauces. I also use this same variety in my salsa since the water and seed content isn't as high. Here is what I usually grow: Tomatoes, Peppers, Onions, Rosemary, Thyme, Oregano, Dill, Carrots, Beans, Peas, Cantaloupe, Watermelon, Pumpkins, Cucumber, Zucchini, Corn, Potatoes, Beets, Lettuce, Spinach, Rhubarb . I am trying strawberries and raspberries and forgoing the corn this year since my daughters really want a berry patch so we'll see how that goes. I did get the ever bearing variety so I may be able to harvest a late season crop with the strawberries. I try to start everything from seed that I can and save the seeds from year to year with certain plants. I also try to follow organic gardening practices so I don't typically use any pesticides, herbicides, or non organic fertilizers.

Sounds just about what I grow. I have never had much luck with Amish Paste. I had great luck last year with Martinos Roma. It's a hierlom variety that produced very heavy numbers of good tasting romas. It held up in spite of getting hammered with blight.

This is weather is the reason I hold off on onions. The cold has killed my onions more than once. I'm not that fond of covering in the spring, it's always windy. Potatoes were planted on Easter Sunday.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got my onion plants in mail today and just finished getting the best 200 ready for planting this weekend. Sorted the best 125 bulbs out of about 300 for the raised beds and the rest go in normal garden.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ox hearts and Amish paste did very well for us back in Ohio, would be trial and error here for me and a garden. Always used a bunch of compost and planted transplants in a trench with just 4-5" of the top out of the ground so as to encourage more root development. Better water and nutrient uptake helped squash blossom end rot.

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
I personally do not like gurneys. This year I bought most of my seeds from Jordan seeds http://jordanseeds.com/home.php based in MN. I was very impressed with the quantity for price and quality. I planted peas, spinach and lettuce 4 weeks ago. My spinach and lettuce are about a half inch tall and peas are about 4 inches. I use Alaskan fish impulsion on my garden about 4 or 5 times a year and have massive yields from using it.

this year I am also tilling in some compost but then going to no-till. I am planning on putting a edible cover crop which will enable me to forage and not till next year! I can provide some more detail if people are interested. I am currently expanding my garden space from 14 by 16 to 20 by 18! My kids are excited to get planting!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Too cold here yet to put anything outside but I panted some seedlings in 50% worm castings mixed with some 40 year old cow manure, have never had anything grow this fast. Planted a few hills of potatoes good Friday and It was too cold, They aren't going to make it.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got my onion plants in mail today and just finished getting the best 200 ready for planting this weekend. Sorted the best 125 bulbs out of about 300 for the raised beds and the rest go in normal garden.
With the ground white the onions are going back in moist towels for awhile.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88