Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Same here and the deer didn't eat the tops off them and they were small enough that the hail didn't club them to death so they might be the best tomato plants we have this year. Update on the 3-D fence experiment. It seems to be doing the trick so far. At first I didn't have a fencer hooked up so they got in after 3 nights. Then I hooked up a 12 volt coil and a blinker flasher and that kept them out for 2 nights until the battery went dead. Now I have 1.2 Jule 30 mile fencer and they don't even come close.
Last night the cat walked under the wires with his tail in the air and got zapped , never saw him run to the house so fast but he was nowhere to be found at bedtime but he was here this morning , feeling sorry for himself. I changed his nickname from knucklehead to sparky.
Describe this 3-D electric fence. Is it just a brand name or does it actually have 3 dimensions? Thanks.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Buddies of mine raised buffalo for awhile and they used an electric fence to keep them in. That was a serious fencer. I swear it was 220 volt and put the fear of God in you. LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are a few different designs from a few different University studies but mine is two parallel fences, the outer fence is single wire and inner fence has 2 wires I forget the wire heights but it's all on the internet. The First deer track I see in the garden I'm smearing peanut butter on the wire , I guess deer really remember a shock to nose or tongue.

https://www.uaex.uada.edu/publications/FSA9111.pdf

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the theory behind the 3-D fence is to have one X feet out from the inner fence. That X feet is so they can't stand in between the two and get the elbow room necessary to jump or crawl under the interior fence. At least, it sounded good in theory when someone explained it to me some time back.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the theory behind the 3-D fence is to have one X feet out from the inner fence. That X feet is so they can't stand in between the two and get the elbow room necessary to jump or crawl under the interior fence. At least, it sounded good in theory when someone explained it to me some time back.
The way I get it too . I did it in stages to see what works and what doesn't. I forgot to mention that I put up motion detecting lights on the fence posts and CD disks and orange tape/flags at first but 3 days later they adapted to that. Then the 12 volt coil and I think they felt that and never bothered since but I wanted to make sure so I strung wire and bought a good fencer. Update on Sparky , after the shock last night he finally caught the striped gopher he has been after all Spring and summer but he wouldn't come out to the garden.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty much my whole garden is dedicated to honeyberries this year. May picture vs july...
Garden HB may.jpeg

garden HB july.jpeg

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^ Honeyberries make the world's best jam. No other fruit even comes close.

OK... currants are close.
I like black currants also! And they are much easier to propagate and grow from my experience. Dont need nets, grow better in poor soil, dont require irrigation in our climate, etc. Im just not sure there will be a significant market for those, they are more of a niche item IMO. I keep putting more in the ground every year anyway.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty much my whole garden is dedicated to honeyberries this year. May picture vs july...
Garden HB may.jpeg

garden HB july.jpeg
Did you basically just take cuttings and plop them in the ground? Or was it more involved than that? Was thinking about taking some cuttings from ours and putting them in a jar of water to see if they will root. Any thoughts on if that would work or not?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just planted three new types yesterday... Boreal Blizzard, Honeybee and Aurora (I think).

What's the groundcover in your plantings Lyc? Sand?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just planted three new types yesterday... Boreal Blizzard, Honeybee and Aurora (I think).

What's the groundcover in your plantings Lyc? Sand?
pine bedding for animals, I had my soil tested and my nitrogen is a bit excessive so Im trying to soak some up, also helps to keep the dirt cool and retain moisture.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did you basically just take cuttings and plop them in the ground? Or was it more involved than that? Was thinking about taking some cuttings from ours and putting them in a jar of water to see if they will root. Any thoughts on if that would work or not?
These were rooted in a timed mist propagation bed, sand was the substrate... If you want to try to root some yourself probably the best method is sticking hardwood cuttings from first year growth in the ground in the fall, after all the leaves have fallen from your bushes. Bury the majority of the cutting but leave the top set or two of buds exposed, the rest can be rubbed off the stem to prevent the stick from wasting energy trying to push growth to them in the spring. You wont get super high success rates, but it does work. Also it helps to shade them in the spring to keep the ground from warming too fast, I use 50% shade cloth with decent success.

93c797be396d0464838675c9a85813d96c6411d6_2_690x517.jpeg

1a38d4cdea552b197e3e9ef2f36fe11b93c9af0b_2_690x517.jpeg

Last edited:

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
excellent. Think I will give it a try this fall. We are hoping to get a green house built before fall rolls around. I will be heating it through the winter with a loop from my outdoor wood boiler, so we will be expirimenting with trying to grow stuff through the winter.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
excellent. Think I will give it a try this fall. We are hoping to get a green house built before fall rolls around. I will be heating it through the winter with a loop from my outdoor wood boiler, so we will be expirimenting with trying to grow stuff through the winter.
wallipini style greenhouse? Ive thought about building one and heating it using geothermal, its a big project though. It wouldnt actually be heated, but kept from freezing inside essentially using forced air geo.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
wallipini style greenhouse? Ive thought about building one and heating it using geothermal, its a big project though. It wouldnt actually be heated, but kept from freezing inside essentially using forced air geo.
I would love to do a wallipini style with some buried ducting to push air through to heat it, but that isn't what we currently have planned.

We heat our house with a Crown Royal outdoor wood burner. It sits about 50 feet from the house and circulates hot glycol into the house to heat the floors and also our domestic hot water.

I'm in the process of building a "polebarn style" enclosure around the boiler pad which is 12' wide by about 30' long. it runs lengthwise north and south. My plan is to build a "lean-to" style green house off the west side of the boiler shed, and then run a line from the boiler into the greenhouse to provide the needed heat to keep it up to temp during the winter. I'm figuring if I use double wall polycarbonate and keep a full water tank inside and heat it with the loop coming from the boiler it should stay plenty warm enough to grow stuff year round.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fresh green beans........gotta love that flavor explosion when you bite into them. Too Good!!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have a 50ft row that is just starting to blossom. Time will tell. Have more coming at 2 week intervals. LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have Raspberries and flowers surrounding the patio and they were buzzing with bumblebees 3 weeks ago and now you have to look hard to find one. I asked wife if she had sprayed anything around the house and nope. She said there was a conversation on social media about plants that arn't producing much because of low pollination ? Anyone else hear or notice anything ?

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have Raspberries and flowers surrounding the patio and they were buzzing with bumblebees 3 weeks ago and now you have to look hard to find one. I asked wife if she had sprayed anything around the house and nope. She said there was a conversation on social media about plants that arn't producing much because of low pollination ? Anyone else hear or notice anything ?
The bee population has really taken a hit. The end is near without our faithful pollinators.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 191
  • This month: 157
  • This month: 146
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88