Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've noticed here too lots of flowers on plants but not as much produce on the vine. Seen very few bees and a few butterflies but not nearly as much as past years

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the first year we've noticed and it seemed to happen all at once. I was happy with all the bumblebees because they don't bother the hummingbirds and Oriole feeders like the others do. I checked the main garden a bit ago and didn't find one pollinator.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few years ago my cucumbers had loads of flowers but wouldn't produce cucumbers, so I did some research.

I actually took male flowers and daubed them on the female flowers.

Have heard of people taking a leaf blower and blowing from around the outside of the plants towards the center of the plant to help with pollination.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few years ago my cucumbers had loads of flowers but wouldn't produce cucumbers, so I did some research.

I actually took male flowers and daubed them on the female flowers.

Have heard of people taking a leaf blower and blowing from around the outside of the plants towards the center of the plant to help with pollination.

That's what you have to do in a green house too. An artists paint brush or old electric toothbrush makes it go faster. we have bees again, not sure where they were but they showed up after the hay was cut so I'm guessing they were spread out through the sweet clover and alfalfa. The garden and pollinator plots are buzzing again but with honey bees this time instead of bumblebees but hardly a butterfly this year. I saw one today and that's what made me think of it.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
While watering the garden on Saturday I had two Bumblebees that were as busy as a bee, working over my cuke patch and I dont think they missed one flower. I do plant a lot of flowers around my garden to keep what few pollinator's I have around. LB

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
From what I have read the bees are far and few this year. I have seen some but almost no butterflies. Last year the swallowtails were everywhere. Not sure what is up.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found where the bees are at around my place. Went to move some wood along the shop and yep, got drilled right thru the glove. 2 days ago, still iches like hell.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
appears to be a bumper honey crop this year, so bees can afford to bee picky about the flowers they prioritize...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found where the bees are at around my place. Went to move some wood along the shop and yep, got drilled right thru the glove. 2 days ago, still iches like hell.

I did the same yesterday but I got lucky , went to grab some scrap 2x4s out of the the box of an old pickup and when I noticed the nest my hand was about a foot away and they were mad. no idea how I didn't get stung they were black hornets . The bees are busy at work again, no idea where they went for a while but probably a canola field nearby. The clover is just buzzing and they are busy in the garden and flowers again.

My son does a lot of farm fun stuff with the kids and they decided to get a colony of bees last spring. He was mostly joking when he asked the kids who was going to be the bee keeper and middle grandson who is 5 years old going on 16 said he wanted to so they only bought one suit to fit him and he is proud of his new job. When he outgrows it there are two more boys behind him that hopefully will get use out of it. They have a mentor and bees are doing good .

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was getting the 5th wheel ready for camping about a week ago and discovered that wasps had built a nest in the water heater compartment. I put my head net, gloves, jeans, and a jacket on and rapidly opened the water heater door and sprayed it down with some bug repellent. They hung around for a while until I pulled the hive out that I hadn't originally noticed. Glad to have them gone.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone else's tomatoes have leaf curl ? I'm guessing it's the heat causing it since I didn't them in the shade this year.

Update on the 3-D fence. I had my doubts that it would work but every since I hooked up the electric fencer to it the deer don't want any part of it.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
With weather like this I can see a difference in my garden every day. My sweet corn is adding 4 or 5 inches in height every day and some of my tomatoes are over 6' tall. Just have to keep the water on. LB

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I remember the old town drunk quote " not to long but as big around as a beer can" LB

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody else struggling with their beets this year? Ours wont grow and now this heat has em scorched

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody else struggling with their beets this year? Ours wont grow and now this heat has em scorched
A rabbit or deer or both ate the tops off. Glad I pickled a bunch last year. No fresh butter beet meals though:mad:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 325
  • This month: 215
  • This month: 178
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74