Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
1693592192839.png

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our first watermelon from the garden was delicious and perfectly ripe, the 2nd one wasn't ripe enough. Both looked the exact same on the outside, the tentacle thing on the stem was brown.

Anyone have expierence growing melons ? I found this guy's advice on youtube will go out tomorrow and look again . Used to be the frost dictated when to pick em but these newer varieties are faster maturing.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
So many green beans we don't know what to do with. froze what we need for winter , going to pickle some but what else can a guy do with them besides eat them raw or grill them ?
I did give you a recipe...also deer bait?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can substitute beans for shrimp in most recipes, I grew up doing it. It's been a good year for vine crops, this is the best luck I've had with pumpkins . Quite a few of them are as big as those PT balls and turning color
.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1nA1wanH2s&t=96s

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did the same yesterday but I got lucky , went to grab some scrap 2x4s out of the the box of an old pickup and when I noticed the nest my hand was about a foot away and they were mad. no idea how I didn't get stung they were black hornets . The bees are busy at work again, no idea where they went for a while but probably a canola field nearby. The clover is just buzzing and they are busy in the garden and flowers again.

My son does a lot of farm fun stuff with the kids and they decided to get a colony of bees last spring. He was mostly joking when he asked the kids who was going to be the bee keeper and middle grandson who is 5 years old going on 16 said he wanted to so they only bought one suit to fit him and he is proud of his new job. When he outgrows it there are two more boys behind him that hopefully will get use out of it. They have a mentor and bees are doing good .

Update, They harvested last week and took 40 pounds of honey from the hive and left most of it for wintering the bees.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Made some aronia liquor that is surprisingly good...
50% aronia juice + 50% sugar, mix and heat just enough to dissolve the sugar
mix sugar juice 50/50 with vodka for 20% alcohol liquor (also used some 50/50 vodka and everclear for 34% alcohol final product)

20230831_092019.jpg
This is scary as fuck. That's a high octane face planter/two day hangover/pregnancy disguised as a few wee nips:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope you guys are enjoying a bountiful harvest. I took over most of the processing end of the garden and we hate to see anything go to waste.

Our family's favorite home made snack has been jerky and roasted pumpkin seeds and wife put a LOT of time into those every year. I found a way that I thought was worth sharing if you like roasted seeds. After trying the drill and water a couple contraptions that didn't work to separate it I put them a mesh bag and took the pressure washer after it and it works like a charm. I did 3 squash in 5-10 minutes once I got set up.

For curiosity sake I grabbed a pumpkin that had grow under the electric fence that burned a big gash in it. In less than 5 minutes I was holding a quart of sparkly clean pumpkin seeds. Sawzall to cut the top and already had a egg beater with extension welded on for the drill to hollow it out so that took all of 20 seconds. I put it in the mesh bag and maybe 2 minutes of pressure washing and the pulp was disintegrated and gone from the bag. Soaked them overnight and roasted 4 trays at a time on mesh sheets in the electric smoker for 3 or 4 hours, depending if you like light or dark roast . I like the zucchini and squash better than the pumpkin.

I tried smoking some but they took on a bitter taste so have to tinker with that thought but the spiced up ones without smoke are good . The Grandkids are going to love me at Christmas they love those and Jerky better than candy. Trying to find some smokehouse almond flavoring or a recipe for it if anyone knows of one.

The squash are good too. Life is good. What are you guys eating ?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
WTF Lycan?!! #1227 was an excellent post!!

In the spirit of Fall:

Last edited:

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried Brandywine tomatoes for the first time and I'm hooked. They grow big and are sweet with less acid than normal so I can eat them like they are going out of style and not get a canker sore. They are so lean that I had to add a little water to make salsa.
If you are canning, you may want to adjust the pH.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is scary as fuck. That's a high octane face planter/two day hangover/pregnancy disguised as a few wee nips:

Hahaha...brings back memories of my old days traveling,western ski resorts,broke most of the time,making xx morning glowery wine on the road.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Going to freeze about 400 of my large cherry tomatoes today. Just wash, take the stems off and put 20 in a quart freezer bag. So when making chili or soup or hot dish just dump a bag in. Its OH SO GOOD. LB

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Getting close to the end now. Last digging of carrots left, I will not dig those until right before ground freezes and some onions that I pick as needed. This week started the clean up and fall tilling. It was a good year for selling, canning and giving away. LB

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Garden is cleaned up.
466 cucumbers out of 3 plants.
90 pounds of potatoes out of a 8 x 10 patch.
To many cherry and grape tomatoes out of 2 plants to eat.
Lots of tomatoes out of 5 tomatoes plants. Probably the best tomatoes size and number wise we have ever had.
Only around 10 green peppers out of 3 plants. :(
Had 6 jalapeño plants and ended up throwing all of them away, as they only grew about 1.5 to 2 inches long ant the skins on most of them split open. đŸ¤¬

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
Roasting red peppers tomorrow, put them up with olive oil, great for pizzas, bruschetta, or hummus. Carrots will stay longer, tomatoes come out this week. put leaf mulch on two of the beds today. It is winding down. BTW found a recipe for half sour pickles, taste just like the deli pickles back home. Sure missed those.

Freedom

★★ Legendary Member
Another year of poor onions. Garlic grows decent but onions are all pingpong ball sized.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Spooled up the drip line this morning , looked at 20 or more huge pumpkins plus a bunch of small ones and 50 or so watermelons, (some of those are small too) and walked away . Time to get creative and check out watermelon and pumpkin wine. We are blessed , If times get tough again a family of 10 could easily live for 30 years on 2 hand fulls of seed , a few traps and a 3 boxes of 30-30 shells.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 154
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 53