Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sig, your garden looks nice. Our garden shrunk by two and a half rows , I had two 130' rows of mammoth sunflowers ,we usually roast some and the birds get the rest . Wife had just finished weeding those two rows and the same night the deer ate almost every last one of the tops off the sunflowers. I was so pissed that I hopped on the tractor and tilled them under. they also got 60'row of beets so trying a 3-d electric fence to see if that will work. Going to put a cotton ball in a tin container and hang it on the fence and see if I can get a trail cam pic of the arc when they sniff it. Good things though is that for everything bad, something good usually comes. I was starting to get a soft spot in my heart for deer but that's long gone, I'll enjoy pulling the trigger this fall and eating more venison.
Thank you. I haven't had a run in with any deer yet but rabbits and squirrels are alway present. Rabbits tore thru my strawberries early on but they recovered. Although the rabbit and squirrel numbers have decreased significantly in the last 2 weeks. I installed a bird feeder and lets just say 3 neighbor cats have figured out a great ambushing spot for them. But the cats have taken a few birds also.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
This rain is going to get the weeds a popping! Luckily I did some hoeing earlier this week.

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
This rain is going to get the weeds a popping! Luckily I did some hoeing earlier this week.
I hear ya we out down some preen after tilling a bunch of weeds up, also pulled weeds for a while with Mrs. sig357. She wasnt thrilled but she does a lot of work in that garden and I appreciate the hell out of her for doing so.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hear ya we out down some preen after tilling a bunch of weeds up, also pulled weeds for a while with Mrs. sig357. She wasnt thrilled but she does a lot of work in that garden and I appreciate the hell out of her for doing so.
That's the same here too. I plant , irrigate and harvest. David Bradley, Red farmall and I take care of all the weeds except for the ones growing right in the rows. My wife pulls those and she spends more time weeding than David, Red and I.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I plant my rows far enough apart so I can run my tiller down in-between to get rid of the larger amount of weeds and I hand pull the close in stuff. A lot of hands and knees stuff buts thats the way I roll. The Lord and I carry on a pretty good conversation since I am on my knees already. Makes the weeds wonder what they did wrong. LB

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
A fence is all I could do to keep the deer and rabbits out of the garden. My mistake was using the cheap coated thin wire fence from Menards. It gets damaged pretty good from the snow banks covering it most yrs. You can pull it back into shape but I may need to upgrade to something that won't cave to the snow, maybe chainlink.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Brittany in the yard next to the garden keeps the deer away Plus a 6 foot fence.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
paint ball scares the be-gerbers out of deer and 22 does the rabbits and gophers plus my dog kennel is middle of garden. lb

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was just thinking about dogs last night when I was looking at the garden. Times have changed on the farm , we always had a dog up until the last one I put down about 30 years ago. Back then I was busy working and i knew I didn't have time to raise a dog right. Now that we are retired I like to be footloose and be able to take off for a week or a month or so. Maybe they will make a virtual or AI dog someday that you plug in instead of feeding it.

Last edited:

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, here ya go!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/robo-dogs-therapy-bots-artificial-intelligence/

I was just thinking about dogs last night when I was looking at the garden. Times have changed on the farm , we always had a dog up until the last one I put down about 30 years ago. Back then I was busy working and i knew I didn't have time to raise a dog right. Now that we are retired I like to be footloose and be able to take off for a week or a month or so. Maybe they will make a virtual or AI dog someday that you plug in instead of feeding it.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone planted this late in the year ? what plants can you seed this late ? The deer cleaned out the beets, peas and most of the carrots too but I finally have them fenced out. mmm venison is gonna taste extra good this year..

Pedro

Established Member
We planted a bunch of green beans a few days ago in thinking they will be ready to put up when we do our fall canning. We’ll see

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Beans are about the only thing they didn't ruin or eat. If it's not to late I might gamble on beets, peas and radish though. And a row of lesson sunflowers under the wires of my new electric fencer.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I pull some potatoes for early baby taters and then plant green beans and carrots in those spots, Beets will also be fine along with radishes and short day peas. Have to add a little extra water in this heat. LB

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a lot of Early Girl tomatoes that are tennis ball size also Red potatoes about same size. Green Bell peppers are looking good and my Asian cukes are starting to show some little fruit. Carrots and beets look really good and my Silver Queen sweet corn is waist high. Onions that I tried in containers should be soft ball size by this fall. KDM already has his order in. LB

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
The weather has been good lately for the gardens. In Bismarck people have been harvesting jalapeños the last two weeks. I have a couple of bells that are way ahead this year. Just picked four zucchini’s today with several more as soon as tomorrow.
Still waiting on cucumbers but lots coming. If the weather holds tomatoes should be great. The best thing has been timely rain. Something missing the three previous three years.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The grow bags have been producing cucumbers and salads and the raspberries are just loaded . The few ripe ones so far are sweet and melt in my mouth. Lots of hail and deer damage in the main garden but it's bouncing back, I think we will make it through another winter one way or another.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have some volunteer tomato plants that I am going to put some cages around and see what happens, should be red or yellow cherry tomatoes. We will see. Like I need more. LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have some volunteer tomato plants that I am going to put some cages around and see what happens, should be red or yellow cherry tomatoes. We will see. Like I need more. LB
Same here and the deer didn't eat the tops off them and they were small enough that the hail didn't club them to death so they might be the best tomato plants we have this year. Update on the 3-D fence experiment. It seems to be doing the trick so far. At first I didn't have a fencer hooked up so they got in after 3 nights. Then I hooked up a 12 volt coil and a blinker flasher and that kept them out for 2 nights until the battery went dead. Now I have 1.2 Jule 30 mile fencer and they don't even come close.
Last night the cat walked under the wires with his tail in the air and got zapped , never saw him run to the house so fast but he was nowhere to be found at bedtime but he was here this morning , feeling sorry for himself. I changed his nickname from knucklehead to sparky.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 149
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88