Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put in onions and potatoes. The forecast of temperatures in the low 40's at night isn't the greatest. Where I live that means possible 30's. Hopefully I will get some seeds planted this week.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where can a guy get decent compost/manure around minot? Seems like a need that isn’t being filled. Those 6 dollar bags don’t take you very far when you have a decent sized garden

NJL

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where can a guy get decent compost/manure around minot? Seems like a need that isn’t being filled. Those 6 dollar bags don’t take you very far when you have a decent sized garden
If you're a Minot resident, you can get compost from the city landfill for free

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the first year I had deep tilled in the fall so I was able to make one shallow pass and seed. I don't think there is anything to gain by early seeding , I normally wait for that first flush of weeds before I plant so will see what it looks like in 3-4 weeks .
My Mom always planted a few potatoes on Good Friday so I decided to carry on her tradition and also getting Grandkids kids planting a Good Friday potato in her memory. I see they are poking out. Life is Good.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Yeah I missed the good Friday thing, just too much Doctor stuff. I did get about 150 hills of Yukon Gold planted in tubs and 50 hills in ground will see what does the best. Just got done cutting up enough Nordland Reds for around 300 hills. Late but with the high July and August temps might be better. Was getting a lot of heat damage the last two summers. Have to give my onion plant sets a hair cut this afternoon so I can plant later this week. A lot of stuff to try and get done this next couple week. Have to plant accordingly so a lot of stuff is maturing at the same time for selling. Happy Gardening to you all. LB

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drive around and find a feed lot or hobby horse farm with a tractor/loader and a manure pile setting around, usually they will load you up for free or for a few dollars. Make sure you get the oldest stuff they have, if it doesnt have weeds growing on it its probably too fresh. ask them to scrape the top foot or so off before they scoop or youll get a ton a weed seeds also which is more work for you.

I had a source a while ago for 20 year old sheep manure that was great, it was completely broken down, like super rich black dirt essentially, he would load all my pickup box could hold for $10/load, now I get free horse manure from a neighbor, but its not as well broken down so a bit more work, but its easier cuz he delivers it for free!

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Drive around and find a feed lot or hobby horse farm with a tractor/loader and a manure pile setting around, usually they will load you up for free or for a few dollars. Make sure you get the oldest stuff they have, if it doesnt have weeds growing on it its probably too fresh. ask them to scrape the top foot or so off before they scoop or youll get a ton a weed seeds also which is more work for you.

I had a source a while ago for 20 year old sheep manure that was great, it was completely broken down, like super rich black dirt essentially, he would load all my pickup box could hold for $10/load, now I get free horse manure from a neighbor, but its not as well broken down so a bit more work, but its easier cuz he delivers it for free!
A guy from work gave me some 2 year old cow manure. He scraped into the middle of the pile for me. I tilled it in good. Hopefully it isnt too hot!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i've skipped the garden the last few years. can't say i miss that work. but, felt the need to comment on early planting. i agree that its not needed and many years can cause problems. outside of the banana belt, even if there isn't a frost, there are often long stretches of well below normal temps, little sun and wind blowing like a $2 whore. most plants don't fair well in that kind of weather and will take weeks to recover. no harm waiting til end of may imho. it doesn't matter whether it was seeds or plants, my stuff always had plenty of growing season even if it didn't hit the ground til memorial day weekend.

Last edited:

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
It seems like younger people just have to plant as early as possible. I have learned that the early bird doesn’t always catch the worms. One thing I learned is that canning is way more enjoyable later on when it’s cooler. Thus no rush to get my garden started.

wstnodak

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do any of you guys have a nursery you would recommend as far as trees are concerned? Online or local but am looking for tall stock mainly. Thank you.

garden

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do any of you guys have a nursery you would recommend as far as trees are concerned? Online or local but am looking for tall stock mainly. Thank you.
Wildrose Nursery, in Wildrose,ND always has excellent trees and shrubs. Worth the drive there.

Wildrose Nursery Co.
Retail nursery
200 1st Ave West
701-570-3089
wrnursery1923@gmail.com

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
how many are you looking for and what varieties? I get most of my trees from soil conservation and graft them to something else if needed. This guy had good prices on bare root trees that are nice size, ive purchased a few from him in recent years. Likely if you want a bunch you could get even better prices.
https://www.allamericantreemovers.com/

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Frost warning tonight and the low Saturday morning is 35

Who’s covering things up.

I got my garden roto tilled Sunday night but don’t have it planted yet. I think I will leave the plants in the garage for awhile

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lycan are honeyberries fairly hardy ? Man they were looking good , even saw a couple had blossoms. Our raspberries are laid down flat from the snow but they should bounce back.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
20 some years ago we had this exact same thing only a day later on the 25th . I had a field of canola that was up about 2'' and it did ok.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lycan are honeyberries fairly hardy ? Man they were looking good , even saw a couple had blossoms. Our raspberries are laid down flat from the snow but they should bounce back.
Yeah they are hardy, unless it drops to like 25f or so then it gets questionable. Biggest problem people have is if we have extended cold weather when the flowers are open, then pollinators wont be active and you wont get many berries because of that, but a day or two of cold shouldnt hurt them. Most of mine are done flowering now, except for Strawberry Sensation.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 6
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 5
  • This month: 4
  • This month: 3
  • This month: 3
  • This month: 2