Gardening

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think laying strips of weed barrier between the rows would work slick If you got the good stuff and threw enough dirt on it to hold it down. you could roll it up in the fall and reuse it again the next year. I'd try it if I didn't dislike snakes so bad but that stuff is a snake magnet. my "garden crew" is an old WC Allis Chalmers with two row mounted cultivators, I would have a weedy mess without it.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think laying strips of weed barrier between the rows would work slick If you got the good stuff and threw enough dirt on it to hold it down. you could roll it up in the fall and reuse it again the next year. I'd try it if I didn't dislike snakes so bad but that stuff is a snake magnet. my "garden crew" is an old WC Allis Chalmers with two row mounted cultivators, I would have a weedy mess without it.

I use old PVC siding that I stole when someone was replacing theirs near my house. For wider rows, snap a couple pieces together, throw rock or brick on them to hold them down. Get a lighter colored kind so it reflects light instead of absorbing it and creating heat. Also it will last longer and its easy to stack off to the side for storage in the winter.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I planted some cantelope and watermelon in my garden,but I don't think they will produce any fruit. I believe, I planted too soon which was memorial day weekend. We got hit with a frost later that week and put a hurting on my jalapeño and habenero plants. The plus side is my radishes look awesome as well as my onions. I do know that rain water is much better for vegetables then city water. Oh well this is my first year trying out my green thumb.

It's a fun and rewarding hobby but never quit thinking about an easier way. I can relate to your working 12 hour days then coming home to a garden that needed weeding then when the weekend rolls around your garden keeps you from going fishing. It got to be too much and It burned me out so I quit for a few years. Keep at it. I can grow enough veggies for two of us Indoors in the winter by a big window.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Geo for the sound advice, which is much appreciated.Thumbs Up
It's a fun and rewarding hobby but never quit thinking about an easier way. I can relate to your working 12 hour days then coming home to a garden that needed weeding then when the weekend rolls around your garden keeps you from going fishing. It got to be too much and It burned me out so I quit for a few years. Keep at it. I can grow enough veggies for two of us Indoors in the winter by a big window.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use old PVC siding that I stole when someone was replacing theirs near my house. For wider rows, snap a couple pieces together, throw rock or brick on them to hold them down. Get a lighter colored kind so it reflects light instead of absorbing it and creating heat. Also it will last longer and its easy to stack off to the side for storage in the winter.

I like that idea.

SeisMec

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been reading up on this no -till growing of plants in farming as well as garden and I have to say that it seems to be the ticket for keeping weeds in check. It seems to be untidy compared to some but when I work 12+ hours a day and coming home to pick weeds seems to me a no brainer to throw my grass clippings in between the rows. I do have my concerns with mold and bugs in my salsa garden, so does anyone else use grass clippings in their gardens to help with weed control and retain moisture .
I've heard of this and an old timer that I knew way back when use to use old newspapers about 5 layers thick between rows to help keep weeds down. At the end of the year he would use his big tiller to till it all in, said it added bulk to the garden and the worms loved it.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
Someone needs to invent round up ready vegetables, would make weeding it a breeze! I just tilled between the rows last night for the weeds. And I also put grass clippings in with no problem.

Last edited:

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lycan you heard right. I quit tilling the entire garden years ago. I use a small Honda tiller and once down and back and my rows are good to go. Not only is it better for the soil, I sure don't miss tilling the entire garden. My garden is 70 by 32. I can till the rows in less than hour. I mulch like crazy.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
After a long weekend away I was worried about the garden. Looks like the tomato and pepper plants are doing just fine. I have a ton of weeds to take care of however. Since my brother took his lawnmower back, I'm going shopping tomorrow. I think I'll throw down grass clippings in between the rows.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you dont have one of these
pACE-1039635dt.jpg
you need one! They are the best for weeding quickly, as long as the weeds arent a foot tall. The dirt goes through the hoe and it cuts the weeds off at ground level, or just below. When you get it, take a flat file and touch up the edges a bit, they often arent very sharp from the store. I got one a few years ago and havent looked back! Its called a scuffle hoe and they sell them at runnings and I think at ace also.

Big thing about weeds is you gotta stay on top of them before they get large, they dont look like much of a problem when they are small, so people put off dealing with them, but they always get bigger and they are much easier to kill before they get large.

Last edited:

Deerwatcher

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you dont have one of these
MFDC7477.jpg
you need one! They are the best for weeding quickly, as long as the weeds are a foot tall. The dirt goes through the hoe and it cuts the weeds off at ground level, or just below. When you get it, take a flat file and touch up the edges a bit, they often arent very sharp from the store. I got one a few years ago and havent looked back! Its called a scuffle hoe and they sell them at runnings and I think at ace also.

Big thing about weeds is you gotta stay on top of them before they get large, they dont look like much of a problem when they are small, so people put off dealing with them, but they always get bigger and they are much easier to kill before they get large.

Mac's also has them

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79