Gardening

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pulling weeds in the garden this morning and had a discussion with the old ball & chain. What to do with the weeds after you pull them. She throws them over the neighbors fence.:eek: Not as bad as it sounds, it is a pasture that he hays and then moves cows into during the winter. I inform here that it is not very neighborly. Her response :;:huh, his equipment doesn't get into this corner. She is correct, but still I don't want weeds growing anywhere. What should a person do? bag, dry, and burn? Haul to dump?

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I generally just toss em between rows then till 'em up. Others ways are probably better but I feel good when I mangle 'em with those tines.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take it up as a hobby to impress the wife and weave everything together as a wicker basket for the wife's next birthday!!:;:howdy

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wish I could help you, but I throw them over the neighbor's fence too. He refuses to spray for weeds, so I think its only fair to put them back where they cam from :)

pointer

Founding Member
Founding Member
actually gardening got a lot easier for me Sunday night about 10 pm. a few sticks left and one cucumber plant is all that is left

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pull weeds and just discard in trash can.
Starting to see pepper flowers and a few other blooms. might be a good year

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been reading up on this no -till growing of plants in farming as well as garden and I have to say that it seems to be the ticket for keeping weeds in check. It seems to be untidy compared to some but when I work 12+ hours a day and coming home to pick weeds seems to me a no brainer to throw my grass clippings in between the rows. I do have my concerns with mold and bugs in my salsa garden, so does anyone else use grass clippings in their gardens to help with weed control and retain moisture .

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
"What should a person do? bag, dry, and burn? Haul to dump?"

Worm, I think you should just talk to her first. No need to take it that far right away.

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bag my grass clippings and use as weed control in my garden. definitely helps retain moisture in the soil and keeps the weeds at bay. Doesn't look like a Martha stewart garden, all tidy and neatly weeded with lush black soil protruding like boosums tightly packed into a blouse clearly one size too small. . . . more like dead brown grass scattered around some plants. but working 10 hours a day, with traveling and having kids in diapers I don't have the time to spend weeding. I just till it into the soil the following spring and it adds some flavor for the micro-organisms living there. Havent had any mold or bug issues yet.

Deerwatcher

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been reading up on this no -till growing of plants in farming as well as garden and I have to say that it seems to be the ticket for keeping weeds in check. It seems to be untidy compared to some but when I work 12+ hours a day and coming home to pick weeds seems to me a no brainer to throw my grass clippings in between the rows. I do have my concerns with mold and bugs in my salsa garden, so does anyone else use grass clippings in their gardens to help with weed control and retain moisture .

Yes I do it in my garden and it works great and I've never had any problems

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had a rough gardening year. Quite a few of my plants shriveled up and died. Quite a few of the rows I planted only partially came up. There's plenty of moisture....and I spread a half inch layer of manure this spring. So I dunno what is going on. Corn and potatoes look great.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
My garden looks pretty shabby too but give them a few weeks of long sunny days and they will come around.. Some of it didn't come out of the ground very fast but What's been up for a while is starting to perk up.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
For those of you using grass clippings in your garden, don't use them if you just sprayed weeds in your yard as the herbicide on your clippings will not be very friendly to your wifes plants!;:;badidea

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is the first year I havent tilled my whole garden, I was reading about how tillers raise hell with earthworm populations and its a lot of work to till everything. I removed the outside 2 tines from my tiller, so now it just tills about 10 inches wide path instead of 16 inches wide. Normally I have to go over the whole garden 2 to 3 times, lowering the tines a couple inches with each pass. With the 2 outside tines removed, I can till full depth on the first pass, cutting my tilling time in half at least and also putting less wear and tear on my tiller and saving a bunch of worms in the process.

Weeds get thrown in my rabbit cages, they like them a lot more than I do!!!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have put the clippings in the garden for years, and I feel as though it adds to the soil health. I have not this year though, as mrs johnr claims it is the cause of our on again off again slug problem. I have a sprinkler system so the lawn and garden get a good soaking twice a week, it actually might be over kill and the root cause of the slugs, however it is all run through a water well and literally costs me $3.00 a year in electricity. So keeping everything watered and vibrant green is essentially free.

I till in the fall after harvest, layer a couple weeks worth of grass on it for the winter, then till again in the spring twice.

Salsa is Americas number one condiment, Salsa....

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have put the clippings in the garden for years, and I feel as though it adds to the soil health. I have not this year though, as mrs johnr claims it is the cause of our on again off again slug problem. I have a sprinkler system so the lawn and garden get a good soaking twice a week, it actually might be over kill and the root cause of the slugs, however it is all run through a water well and literally costs me $3.00 a year in electricity. So keeping everything watered and vibrant green is essentially free.

I till in the fall after harvest, layer a couple weeks worth of grass on it for the winter, then till again in the spring twice.

Salsa is Americas number one condiment, Salsa....

We've been over-watering last couple of years. Battled leaf curl that works its way from bottom to top. I bought a soil moisture probe off Amazon and now we use that regularly.

Crazy how cheap they are - and they do not require batteries - some sort of natural potential generated in soil itself moves the needle.

Rapitest_Soil_Moisture_Meter_1820_xlarge-1.jpg
$12!

- - - Updated - - -

Top of dirt can be dry as a bone - but soil at root level is fine. If so - don't water!

Tomatoes hate overwatering. Why didn't granny teach me that?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I planted some cantelope and watermelon in my garden,but I don't think they will produce any fruit. I believe, I planted too soon which was memorial day weekend. We got hit with a frost later that week and put a hurting on my jalapeño and habenero plants. The plus side is my radishes look awesome as well as my onions. I do know that rain water is much better for vegetables then city water. Oh well this is my first year trying out my green thumb.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75