Garmin Electronics

Timbuk-2

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have any experience with Garmin gps/fish finders? They seen to have a lot of features at a very good price point. And, I believe they can use the lake maps available from G&F

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have any personal experience but my brother is a avid muskie fisherman in MN and those guys live and die by there electronics out there. Since I am lookiing at new electronics this spring I just asked him about any experience for him or his fishing buddies. He stated to me from what he has been told the sonar part is very good but the mapping system lacks at this time for what the purchasers expected. They believe it will get better over time but this time he wouldn't go that direction. Disclosure he does run Humminbird at this time. Best I can give you at this time. dukgnfsn

defiant1

Honored Member
Anyone have any experience with Garmin gps/fish finders? They seen to have a lot of features at a very good price point. And, I believe they can use the lake maps available from G&F

I purchased a Garmin Striker 7sv to supplement my Humminbird DI unit. I like the Garmin, especially for an inexpensive fish finder. Super easy to navigate the menus and the SI displays are very good. It doesn't have mapping, but I have the Humminbird to account for that. Good luck on your decision.

d1

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dumped my lowrance for a Garmin Echo70DV two years ago and it's awesome. I would recommend Garmin to anybody. They finally got serious about fw stuff a couple years ago. Very easy to use too.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Garmin's core market is aviation navigation. They have had some of the best salt water depth finders/GPS units for years. Everyone is at least somewhat familiar with their auto GPS units. They are a very healthy company. As stated above, they decided to get serious about FW units a few years ago.
Have fun comparing and shopping.

JCNodak

Honored Member
I upgraded my electronics this year. It was a very close decision between the Garmin Ecomap 93SV and the Lowrance Elite 9TI. In the end, the lowrance won because of the touchscreen. In my option, the Garmin had better mapping but I don't have real world experience to back it up.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Garmin forced Lowrance to step it up a notch the past couple years

NDHick

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went to a 93SV last year and love it. The map that is preinstalled is ok but have been using the auto map feature as I go out. The side imaging is way above what Humminbird has in my opinion. The main reason I went with Garmin is for the Panoptix which I am going to be hopefully pulling the trigger on this summer. The real time refresh for pitching jigs is amazing.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 236
  • This month: 205
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 66