Glacier National Park

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
We want to head out there yet this fall and will not be taking the camper. Anyone recommend motels to stay and places of interest to see when one is out there? Never been up to Glacier and has been on my bucket list for many many years so figure we better get there while i still can.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Going to the sun road is a must see. Hungry Horse Dam is worth a stop. The mountains make Yellowstone look like a bunch of hills, last time I was there I stayed at a resort on Lake McDonald. Lots of hiking trails if your into that, but bring the bear spray, camera and lots of film. Hope you enjoy your trip.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
there's a vehicle size limit on Going to the Sun. No longer than 21 feet, no wider than 8feet. My crew cab dually pickup, even without the camper, is too big. Take the Red Bus tour to Logan. When you're a passenger, you can look at things other than the road and traffic. after school starts, there shouldn't be too much trouble finding lodging.
Check Glacier Park's website for news about Going to the Sun. Road repairs are typically done in the early fall, and the road is closed for the repairs.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
We stayed at the Apgar Village Lodge many years ago. It was awesome, lake right out back, kitchen to do a little cooking. I don't remember exactly what we did cause it was a quite a few years ago....I do remember the Going to the Sun road, was great.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stay in whitefish! It's 20 miles away and the rooms are much cheaper. Plus it's a beautiful little town with some good places to eat downtown!

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also, I believe there is FREE fishing in National Parks.....double check, but I think that is what I remember.

DerHornen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also, I believe there is FREE fishing in National Parks.....double check, but I think that is what I remember.

I don't think that's true, or if it was it isn't anymore. I fished in Yellowstone about 5 years ago and had to buy a license.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stay in whitefish! It's 20 miles away and the rooms are much cheaper. Plus it's a beautiful little town with some good places to eat downtown!
Ditto. I think most of the lodges are closed after school starts. I have been there just after school started and I was nearly alone on the Sun road. Only a couple cars in the Logan pass parking lot.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think that's true, or if it was it isn't anymore. I fished in Yellowstone about 5 years ago and had to buy a license.

I got curious so I did some googling: "A permit is not necessary to fish Glacier National Park, unlike Yellowstone National Park. Nor is a Montana fishing license required."

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
heading that way next week, going to make a stop in Missoula for sure to show my boys the smoke jumper base, my dad rookied there, so that should be cool and then we'll see what else we want to do

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lived out in the Bitterroot Valley for a couple years and never made it to Glacier.
Wife wants to go as bad as i do. Hopefully we can make the trip.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took the bike to glacier last year so much to see and never enough time to see it all lots of old hiways that nobody drives on. you can get a map showing those roads I got mine in the motel. If you got time go to the northern half of Idaho that is cool

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took the bike to glacier last year so much to see and never enough time to see it all lots of old hiways that nobody drives on. you can get a map showing those roads I got mine in the motel. If you got time go to the northern half of Idaho that is cool
Yep northern ID is pretty amazing as well. Did a bike trip a few years ago through Glacier, Sandpoint, Coeur d' Alene. All amazing country. The best part was once over the pass on going to the sun road i just put my bike in neutral and turned it off. Coasted in silence all the way back down.

As others have said whitefish is a great little town. I try and make it there every other year to snowboard. I always stay at the Downtowner. Its not fancy but you cant beat the location. Can walk to everything downtown and stumble back from the bars. If i was rich, id have a lake/ski cabin on whitefish lake!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 155
  • This month: 145
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 72
  • This month: 59
  • This month: 58
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 55
  • This month: 54