Got My Badger Back Today

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
That is one very sweet mount! Would like one just like that. Where is the taxidermist located at?
Have shot many during my younger years and also caught some with our tractors and parked on top of them and spun the tires and those suckers just ran away. Chased one with the versatile across the field and couldn't catch the sucker.
They are a very tough critter and deserve much respect.
Shot one with my bow while in high school and after i was out of arrows he kept running down the field, he looked like a long needle porcupine. Had to follow the SOB until he died. Another time was poisoning gophers in a pasture next to my sunflower field and came up over a knoll and there was a sow badger with her little ones walking at me. Came at me like a sow bear with cubs and i jumped the barb wire fence and ran to my pickup and jumped in the box with her hot on my heals. She kept circling the pickup hissing the whole time. Remember that like it was yesterday. Afraid of what would have happened if i would have tripped on the fence or wouldn't have made the pickup.
Definitely got the old heart a pumpin' !!!

Last edited:

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've heard enough about them, to give them a wide berth. Have never encountered one on foot. I assume, because of their size, that they wouldn't actually kill a man, but could sure tear a guy up, and could certainly kill a dog.

What do the darned things eat?

Redmist

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had an encounter with one years ago in a prairie dog town. Saw it coming at me out of the corner of my eye while I was laying down shooting. Swung the rifle around and made a quick shot hitting it in the front leg which really Pi$$ him off. I loaded another round as it came at me and pointed the barrel at him to keep him at bay. When he bit down on the end of the barrel I smiled with anticipation and pulled the trigger!

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've heard enough about them, to give them a wide berth. Have never encountered one on foot. I assume, because of their size, that they wouldn't actually kill a man, but could sure tear a guy up, and could certainly kill a dog.

What do the darned things eat?

I was out for a run a few days ago and had the chance to see 2 different badgers along the road in the ditch about 1/2 mile from each other, I caught both off guard and they both saw me and dove back into the taller grass and both flattened themselves out on the ground to blend in. I stopped and talked to them for a few seconds each to see if they would move but both were playing possum so I carried on.

They primarily target gophers and we are having a big break out of pocket gophers along our roads by my house which I suspect has attracted them.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Freakn' cool.

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw this was an old thread. Still freakn' cool.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
grizzley bear of the plains, # for # meanest critter out there. Shot one with my 20 ga. pheasant hunting a few years ago and all it did was piss him off. The last shot he turned around and came at me like enough is enough, the bluff charge was enough to rethink my situation and we parted company with both still alive to hunt another day.:;:smokin

Grandpa used to tell me that these bastards would get into the chicken coops and he'd set a trap tied to a stake to get them. When he got home, there would be a track worn down to dirt and beyond where it ran circles around the stake. Mean as hell.

There was a video of some guys who capture a live badger by hand in a dog kennel off I-94 near Bismarck I believe - can't find it, but I think it was posted on that one website FBO or something......if anyone has it, please link here. Pretty crazy stuff.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Turtleman uses badgers for a cock sock. That is all.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think this is the video you were thinking of Cat

Yep that's it. I'm now questioning the ND connection, but either way I'm not sure this guy actually realizes the true danger here. I would have loved to see him trip over a mound of dirt and see what happens.

Nevermind, I didn't see he was wearing gloves.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75