Grain Bin accident

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
First, I'd like to extend my deepest sympathies to the family and friends of the departed. Awful situation. Second, I'd like to address the criticisms of the farmer who fell victim to this terrible event. I've been working with a producer for 3 years and have been inside a grain bin dealing with stuck grain issues 3 times. Twice for sunflowers and once with corn. Both times with the sunflowers, they'd packed themselves in SO TIGHT, that they wouldn't flow and the corn was frozen. The grain vac would just suck out a hole in the grain and that was it. Chopping and picking with poles and pipes only enlarged the cavern. There was over 60k worth of grain in the bin for the sunflowers and well over 100k of corn. So for those who say there is no reason to enter a bin, you might want to take off those judgemental robes you're wearing. Farmers have bills to pay too. What we ended up doing in all three situations is I went in through the top of the bin with my bow hunting harness on and clipped it to the entrance ladder or the ring around the top of the bin. I had to use a pick ax and/or spade to knock grain off the sides and top of the pile down to the vac. Did I get sucked into a grain avalanche? Yep! Many times! We just didn't let it be the whole bin at once and they were never more than waist deep. It happens in an instant. The grain gives all of a sudden and down you go. Damn scary at how fast you go down and how far you can be carried. Racked my nuts plenty when the harness comes tight I can tell you that. Up until 3 years ago, the producer I work for was a one man band. He would have to do it by himself. Many farmers are in the same situation. I don't know many folks that can run a tractor/grain vac AND wear a harness to chop grain from the top of a bin at the same time. The process we used for getting the grain out of the bin and off to market went as follows. I would chop grain until we got an avalanche down to the grain vac. No more grain would flow until the loose grain was gone. When that grain was gone, you had the same dangerous cavern or walls of grain that you started with. So I would chop and dig some more until we got another grain avalanche and so it would go. There was no other way. Banging on the bin walls did nothing. We even used rubber sledge hammers from a loader bucket. Vibrating cement equipment did nothing. My producer even hit a bin with the front end loader in years past. All that did was dent the bin. Farmers aren't kamikaze's with a death wish. They just have a job to do and it's damn dangerous. They do what they need to do. Same as power company linesman, crab fishermen, cops, oil field workers, and anyone else who does a dangerous job. Again, my heart goes out to the family and I pray that Heavenly Father gives them strength to see them through this trying time.

Last edited:

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
With all due respect KDM..and i am glad you are back and commenting! But somebody needs to figure this out as ppl dying here and there because of this issue is not acceptable. Somebody will...and should go on Shark Tank to market the product that solves the problem. Sure, there are other dangerous jobs..lots of them are OSHA regulated(some are not)..TRYING to ensure safety protocols are in place(and followed). Farming is a dangerous occupation, no doubt about it! But i firmly believe there is an answer/solution to this issue...thats my .02

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That was quite the dissertation.

My personal opinion here....no amount of money is worth dying for.

Think twice gents, all I’m saying.

Please

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I dont think anyone had the so called judgemental robe on. People were just giving helpful advise.. You went into a bin with a harness on and that is what saved your life. Im sure all farmers know the hazards of going into a bin with no PPE on. Its just some may get in a hurry and " I have did it a 100 times with no problem".

I have been in many bins helping farmers I know and knew the hazards. So don't go and say I don't know what Im talking about or have any experience in unloading bins.

The rescue I was on was a 13 yr old boy, and the only reason he is alive is he got covered up while up against the wall of the bin and was in fetal position and had a air pocket under him.

Last edited:

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
farming has gotten a lot safer i remember in the 70s most old farmers were missing fingers and more than one had lost hands and had hooks.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sympathy to the family! There are times you have to go in.....no way around it. It surely is a shame that more safety devices, like confined entry retractors, aren't used or available. I don't think any of us can say we haven't had a time, be it at work on in leisure, where we were so comfortable doing something we put ourselves in a bad position. I've done it ice fishing, I've done it driving, I've done it COUNTLESS times doing construction and excavation work. Those moments when you say "I can make it" or 'I've done it before and been fine" are easy overlook until you don't make it or things go bad. I personally know a family that had a grain bin accident and literally rammed the bin trying to get the individual out....unfortunately it was too late. Incredibly sad.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lost an Uncle to a grain bin suffocation in '72. Sad day/deal.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not trying to be a dick but statements like that are what get people killed.

"It could never happen to me"
"I've always done it this way"
"I've done this 100 times!"

Absolutely! I have not been in a bin in nearly 20 yrs. We did not appreciate the risks back then, not at all. I, in no way, wanted to suggest jumping into a bin was relatively safe, more like...I wanted to let people know you simply never know when something simple, or out of your control, takes it from a normal day to a life threatening situation.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
How much capacity/volume/rigidity would be lost if the horizontal rings on the inside of a bin were filled in?

How about the plastic stuff made for storing grain on the ground, could something like that material be used to line a bin to make the sides slicker/reduce stiction?

Does the "bridging" still occur with the smooth-sided hopper-bottom bins?

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
These are matters of risk vs reward. There is risk in everything we do, but life must go on guys. The goal should be to minimize the risk as much as possible, but maximize the reward at the same time.

@KDM good on you for wearing the harness. Risk of injury...moderate. Risk of death...low.

Sometimes the reward for your risk is cash for your crops. Sometimes the reward for your risk is a limit of 20" walleyes pulled through sketchy ice. It's all about perspective.

Carry on.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Farming is a dangerouse business. At 75 years old my cousin thought he could still combine ftom 6:00am to 2:00am the next morning for to many days. Loadin the combine rolled on him. It didnt kill him, but he had a couple feet of gut removed in surgery. A classmates father though clearing a baler that was running would work out. Then a fellow I know who lived about five miles away from our farm just hung his header. Driving down U S higbway 281 he bounced it enough to throw off the header. When the combine impacted the header it threw him through the window and out onto the highway. He may have survived that, but the combine kept going up over the header and ran over him. People need to be more patient, including myself. I had a Model M with no fenders nearly rip me off the tractor when as a teenager I wasnt getting enough sleep. Be careful out there guys. We dont want to read about any of you.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmmm. Sounds like I should maybe stop complaining about sitting at a desk all day.

On the other hand, that might kill more people prematurely than being outdoors in "riskier" occupations.

Greenhorn

Honored Member
Forgive my ignorance, but what is typically the cause of death/injury in these situations? Falling? The auger going while someone is in there? Getting buried/suffocating? Thanks!

Last edited:

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Bad outcomes in grain bins are a combination of mistakes. High moisture grain is out of condition and then it bridges up. Combined too wet and not enough aeration in the bin to dry it. Dry grain won't bridge. How many times too do you see shear pins replaced with hard bolts and safety cages over auger flighting removed? Farmers know how to move grain safely, they just don't always do it that way. And they pay for it. I know a guy that spent 4 hours buried up to his chin. He had one foot on each side of the takeout auger that was still running but plugged. These aren't accidents, they are mistakes in judgement.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Forgive my ignorance, but what is typically the cause of death/injury in these situations? Falling? The auger going while someone is in there? Getting buried/suffocating? Thanks!

Getting buried and suffocating is what usually happens.
Think back often when growing up and also in my adult life, being raised on a farm and ranch and also doing the same for some of my adult life, i know of many times that i did "stupid" things to get the job done as i usually was by myself. Especially back in the day when we didn't have all these modern conveniences they have nowadays.
I know a couple farmers that i have mentioned to them about buying fall suppression systems for entering the grain bins like described above. They all said they didn't want to spend the money as they didn't do it often enough or wouldn't take the time to put it on before entering the bins. Most have millions of dollars of equipment, buildings, and some have more than one house. It isn't the cost as some just won't buy the systems.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member

grainbin.jpg

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
well that looks like a shitty way to go. so, folks enter the bins when the augers are going? that seems somewhat silly. i love the "always keep your head above the grain!" great idea.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK - hear me out on this.

What causes the victim to sink as though they are in a liquid? They're heavier than the "fluid" jostling grains.

Has anybody explored self-inflating flotation vests?

You're welcome.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just send the wife in, or your fat dog to run around on them there bridges.
Might be best to put some sort of blender type arm all the way to the top with some beater bars on it, flip that bitch on and agitate it to the auger.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
if the auger isn't on, will you still sink in the first two scenarios of that fancy warning sign?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 200
  • This month: 138
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70