Green Heads

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was learned back in the Hills the Pilgrims chased down turkey and grouse to dispatch them with sticks. The ruff was called a "fool's hen". The birds with the "sense" to fly survived and passed along the tendency. Is this a modern example?...

Possibly. Anyone else notice that roosters don't seem to crow anymore when flushed?

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Crowing flushes seem to be more of a morning thing.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The split is a federal mandate. By law we can't close our season before a certain date(don't remember what date) so we have to have the five day split every year. The high plans unit is run like a flyway with in a flyway all the way down to Texas. Not as many hunters there so they tack on a couple extra weeks of hunting.

As for river hunting ducks around Bismarck it tends to be vary tough. Have pushed hundreds of birds off a bar or back water and set up with most birds giving us the finger as they go by. Most guys try to set up on the very spot the birds were on but those places tend to have no cover. It's often more effective to find a spot with good cover in their flyway and run traffic.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
usfw waterfowl regs,they only give us northen folks so many days for our hunting season up here,Mn gets 60days with a 1week closed 1st week in oct(for ducks) rather than letting us hunt well into December.pretty sure the southern states get a 90days season if I remember correctly.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
usfw waterfowl regs,they only give us northen folks so many days for our hunting season up here,Mn gets 60days with a 1week closed 1st week in oct(for ducks) rather than letting us hunt well into December.pretty sure the southern states get a 90days season if I remember correctly.

I'd have to check on that, but I'm pretty sure the amount of days is the same for each state within a given flyway. Pacific flyway has the most days I believe.

Edit - yep I think I was right:
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has proposed hunting regulations for the upcoming 2015-2016 late waterfowl seasons. Hunting season lengths of 60 days were proposed for the Atlantic and Mississippi Flyways, with 74 days for the Central Flyway (with an additional 23 days in the High Plains areas) and 107 days for the Pacific Flyway.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 1
Top Bottom