headlight upgrade

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to replace a headlight bulb in my 07 ford pickup and I'd like to upgrade with a pair of something that's a little brighter but still easy on the eyes for oncoming traffic. Some of those aftermarket jobbers are no fun to be on the receiving end of , the blue ones are especially bad for me.

Any recommendations or stay away froms ?

Last edited:

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stay away from LED bulbs. Some are ok in a projector lens, but most are not meant to be used in a reflector housing. Beam pattern in LED bulbs are bad; less useable light for the driver and blinding oncoming traffic with glare. Factory LED is a different story, but aftermarket is sometimes not even DOT legal.

I like Silverstar Ultras. Nice white light, last a long time.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My 2005 F250 came with the blue jewel effect headlights and yes nice for me but a bastard for those on the receiving end. I get a lot of last second brightlight flashing but you can really see. LB

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stay away from LED bulbs. Some are ok in a projector lens, but most are not meant to be used in a reflector housing. Beam pattern in LED bulbs are bad; less useable light for the driver and blinding oncoming traffic with glare. Factory LED is a different story, but aftermarket is sometimes not even DOT legal.

(y)(y)(y)(y)

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member

I'm all about looking like a UFO until it's annoying or dangerous. Is it still possible to aim beams? IMO LB's should be no higher than the hood of oncoming and directed slightly toward the shoulder. I have errantly flashed (not asshole flashed) and have received a retina burn especially on rainy nights.

Headlights have become ridiculous both in design and appearance. They're obviously designed to appeal to the lowest form of "bling" enamored idiot.

Also stop riding the left lane.

That is all.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm all about looking like a UFO until it's annoying or dangerous. Is it still possible to aim beams? IMO LB's should be no higher than the hood of oncoming and directed slightly toward the shoulder. I have errantly flashed (not asshole flashed) and have received a retina burn especially on rainy nights.

Headlights have become ridiculous both in design and appearance. They're obviously designed to appeal to the lowest form of "bling" enamored idiot.

Also stop riding the left lane fucktard.

That is all.

Here lies the problem. Yes , it is and it's highly recommended

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I swapped my 09 F150 stock headlights for some LED's off amazon. I like them.

Now my FM radio is funky when the headlights are on.... Very strange

Wall-eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I swapped my 09 F150 stock headlights for some LED's off amazon. I like them.

Now my FM radio is funky when the headlights are on.... Very strange
You have to get a special resistor or something I have read when trying to buy some

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fog lights only need to be on in foggy conditions, no one is impressed with your extra lights.
Also Dodge mirrors turned up when not pulling is the universal sign of a gay.
So enjoy fags.
(y)(y)(y)(y)

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picked up some LED spotters for the Ranger, will pull less power, and flood out more light. The existing lights on the roll bar are standard Hologen lights. Really hoping to light the ice up this winter, and pull less juice out of the battery on these cold ND nights.

Anyone use these for their extra lights on UTV's. I am thinking of mounting a set on the back side too, to light up the box, and area around the back. Seems when fishing I frequently have extra shit laying around and do a few drive by's prior to leaving the area, as I need to light it up and double check. Might save a bit of time, and of course the other good stuff

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also say stay away from aftermarket led's. I put some in my 01 dodge and the beam pattern is spotty and seems to disperse quickly, doesn't shine out as far. They are brighter than the old halogens that were in there. They also blind the shit out of you if it is snowing, even on low beam they are bad for that. Not much difference between high and low beams either. I've gotten flashed with them on low beam.

I do like LEDs on tractors though. Way more light and pulls less power so things don't get so hot.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Only way to meet those God Dam blue lights is with my brights on all the way, when they put them on their vehicles they need to adjust the beam, but I suppose most people would not be able to figure that out, it's just to easy to do

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88