Heart-stopping mountain lion encounter caught on video

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hunt in grizz country.....mt lions seem like house cats after that.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Hunt in grizz country.....mt lions seem like house cats after that.
That's the truth!!!!!!!! Hunted the BOB about 20 years ago, seen way more cats then elk but it was the grizz you paid the real attention to.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I woulda whistled and yelled "kennel!" and held open the door of my Chevelle, fed it old pizza and kept it in my hotel bathroom.

27_fb4206fde334b92aeb175fd3f7e0cdf625840f0b.jpg

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use to do a bunch of night fishing on the river in waders. For some reason the Huffs Bluffs area always gave me the Hibbie jibbies a little more than the other areas I fished. One night I was down there all by my lonesome really crapping my britches for no reason other than being scared of the dark when while standing in current in my waders a floating log hit me from behind. If I remember correctly I had to go up to the truck and change underwear.

An ice floe sometimes makes me require a change in underwear. They're sneaky and quiet...

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use to do a bunch of night fishing on the river in waders. For some reason the Huffs Bluffs area always gave me the Hibbie jibbies a little more than the other areas I fished. One night I was down there all by my lonesome really crapping my britches for no reason other than being scared of the dark when while standing in current in my waders a floating log hit me from behind. If I remember correctly I had to go up to the truck and change underwear.

ba ha ha - beaver tail slaps are great for that too!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would love an opportunity like that in the badlands whilst chasing mule deer. I always buy my fur bearer for that reason alone. I would not have walked after that cat without a weapon.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man talk about night fishing with waders, one time was fishing south of tailrace i hear my net moving on shore very dark night glad in water slowly turn, turn light on family of raccoons taking net home. Not more then half hour later see something in the water coming right at me pretty good size thing after it gets a little close turn light on here its a small buck swimming at me he turns around swims back the way he came. I was fishing the heskett in the dark high water not paying attention behind me I feel something touch my leg when i look big old beaver swimming by. fun stuff.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curious is how that cat looks to me. If it was hunting them, it would be a bit more intense!

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Having been stalked once before and not figured it out till the next morning when I saw where it followed me in then left the path as I came back through only to follow me back out definitely puts a chill down your spine and makes you hyper aware of every sound! Because of that I'm not sure I wouldn't have followed it around the corner just to keep an eye on the sneaky bastard. Definitely would not have backed away at the second spot would more likely to have started chucking whatever I could get my hands on and possibly advancing depending on how far my balls had shriveled up at that point.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Man talk about night fishing with waders, one time was fishing south of tailrace i hear my net moving on shore very dark night glad in water slowly turn, turn light on family of raccoons taking net home. Not more then half hour later see something in the water coming right at me pretty good size thing after it gets a little close turn light on here its a small buck swimming at me he turns around swims back the way he came. I was fishing the heskett in the dark high water not paying attention behind me I feel something touch my leg when i look big old beaver swimming by. fun stuff.

Those stupid near-sighted beavers are going to give me a heart attack. They can't see well, and they swim straight towards a guy. Quietly.. I know they're not going to eat me, but if the bastage bit me, that would be not good. I smack the water with my rod. Then they dive and I immediately think "well, at least when he was on the surface, I could see what direction he was attacking from...".

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am usually smoking a big cigar whilst hanging in nature, it seems to keep the critters at bay.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
McKinney said his heart races now seeing the video.

Oh nooooooooooooo

"She just looked at us like she was entertained," he said. "So we gave up."

Cat is still laughing.

The men were so shaken they had made goodbye videos for their loved ones.

Oh the horrors!

Fucking snowflakes should have stuck to the mall. The 2 legged predators would have been worth worrying about.

I hope their loved ones bitch slapped them and revoked their "man cards".....

No shit!

They should have been eaten just for being this stupid...

Absolutely!

I agree 100% Holy eff. That damn cat wasn't going to do shit. Actually suprised they didn't try to cuddle with it being a stray cat.

Yup, it was just sitting, watching and laughing its self to death.

Holy shit what the fuck are these people out in the great outdoors without a keeper?

These guys wouldn't sleep for a month seeing the lion that takes a nap on my back porch a couple of times a month.

stronger word than fuck.jpg

Last edited:

huntinforfish

Founding Member
Founding Member
My cousin and a hunting partner got stocked in CO on an elk hunt while glassing. Partner didn't see it and it got to 30 yards. At that point my cousin (armed) shifted his body to square up more with it and the cat took off. Warden they spoke to the next day said it was probably a combo stock with hunting and curiosity mixed in for the cat and when it saw the "prey" move and how large it was said f this. Warden wasn't surprised it ran. They hunt by surprise. He said by the time you realize your being attacked by a cat, its too late. You will not see it coming 99% of the time.

This makes me wonder what would have happened in that video if the hikers would not have seen the cat above them before they got under it...

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
When the Bismarck Zoo got tigers, and snow leopards, I had the duty of working on the swimming pool in their new home. As the enclosure was being built, the juvenile tigers were kept in a kennel, behind the building behind their now habitat. The tigers were big, but just overgrown puddy-tats. Could scratch their ears through the fence, and they loved it.

One of the zoo-keepers told us though, that the snow leopards are completely different. Said that they are killers. Even though they were less than half the size, if they got in with the tigers, they'd kill them all.

Another thing I noticed. That white male several hundred pound tiger would be sleeping in the shade, while I worked right next to the chain link fence. I would turn around, then turn back, and he'd be right by the fence. And I didn't hear ANYTHING.

Pretty neat really, but food for thought...

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
My cousin and a hunting partner got stocked in CO on an elk hunt while glassing. Partner didn't see it and it got to 30 yards. At that point my cousin (armed) shifted his body to square up more with it and the cat took off. Warden they spoke to the next day said it was probably a combo stock with hunting and curiosity mixed in for the cat and when it saw the "prey" move and how large it was said f this. Warden wasn't surprised it ran. They hunt by surprise. He said by the time you realize your being attacked by a cat, its too late. You will not see it coming 99% of the time.

This makes me wonder what would have happened in that video if the hikers would not have seen the cat above them before they got under it...
The fact they don't like to attack from the front is why the people who live in tiger country in India where masks on the back of their head well out in the woods.

masks.jpg

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So, a tiger won't attack a middle-aged Elf-On-The-Shelf? Who knew?

Thats a load of bullshit. When I was in Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and Thailand there were a lot of tigers in the jungle. Quite a few guys were grabbed and eaten by tigers over there.

I don't know much about zoo tigers but in the jungle they aren't the least bit shy or friendly. Once you've had one stare at you from 20 yards or so you'll know what food feels like. They also hide really well, 7 of us saw one and were walking along looking for some sign so we could track it. One of out terps looked back and pointed at some grass we had walked by 2-3 times and it was springing back up. It was still warm to the touch, we had walked within 4-5 feet a couple of times while it just laid there and watched. Made my blood run cold and kept me from "looking for tigers" for quite a while.

I've seen lions in the wild in Rhodesia and tigers in SE Asia and while lions are scary they are not (to me at least) not the kind of scary tigers are. I saw some film and a couple of articles about guys fighting lions and tigers in cages and tigers won something like 48 out of 50 fights.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 162
  • This month: 154
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 124
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88