Heart-stopping mountain lion encounter caught on video

jtillman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure I would ever be this calm if I saw this:

RESNO, Calif. — A nerve-rattling encounter with a mountain lion started with a fleeting glimpse of the big cat's tail on a High Sierra trail in California's wilderness.

Brian McKinney didn't believe it was a puma that his hiking partner Sam Vonderheide had seen, so he got out his phone and hit record as they followed the lithe creature.

The hikers slowly rounded a turn to see it peering down on them from a rocky perch just feet away.

Its ears were perked up, head cocked and eyes locked on them.

"What are you supposed to do?" one hiker whispered. The other answered: "I don't know. I don't think you're supposed to run."

McKinney said his heart races now seeing the video.

"(I was) not only shocked, but alarmed that she had the advantage above me, which is what they do when they hunt," he said.

Rangers at Sequoia National Park on Monday posted link to the two-minute video captured July 23.

The clip ends with the hikers slowly backing away. But they said the encounter didn't end there.

They waited for the cat to leave and tried rousing it from the trail, so they could continue on to the place they wanted to set up camp. The lion didn't budge.

"She just looked at us like she was entertained," he said. "So we gave up."

The two hikers then turned back and set up camp for a restless night's sleep in another area, their first of a nearly two-week-long hike up Mount Whitney, armed with only an ice ax and a bear whistle.

The next day, they had to cross the path where they had the encounter.

The men were so shaken they had made goodbye videos for their loved ones. Vonderheide was armed with the ice ax, but the only traces they found of the mountain lion were the paw marks it left behind.

Wildlife biologist Daniel Gammons said the men did the right thing by staying calm. Biologists say you should make yourself appear big by waving your arms overhead and scare off the animal, as the men did.

"The big thing these visitors did right was that they didn't panic and run," Gammons said. "Probably the most important message to get out to visitors is not to act like prey if they encounter a mountain lion."

While the encounter was terrifying, McKinney said he and Vonderheide had discussed spotting a puma.

"When we started the trip, we sort of jokingly said, 'Wouldn't it be great if we saw the trifecta of a rattlesnake, a bear and a mountain lion?' " he said. "And sure enough, we got our wish."

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
to bad they need to start eating people in california and they were so shaken they made a video what a couple dinks

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I woulda whistled and yelled "kennel!" and held open the door of my Chevelle, fed it old pizza and kept it in my hotel bathroom.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Being recycled into cat-scat may be the most humiliating way to be returned to the earth.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
I woulda whistled and yelled "kennel!" and held open the door of my Chevelle, fed it old pizza and kept it in my hotel bathroom.

My Father in law is currently working on training his to hunt. He said things are going well! Except the neighbors keep complaint about there missing pets. output.jpgCat.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

He went with a Bobcat as he prefers the shorter docked tail look.

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brian McKinney didn't believe it was a puma that his hiking partner Sam Vonderheide had seen, so he got out his phone and hit record as they followed the lithe creature.

They should have been eaten just for being this stupid...

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member

They should have been eaten just for being this stupid...

I agree 100% Holy eff. That damn cat wasnt going to do shit. Them tree hugging sob's don't even know what the hell they are looking at. Actually suprised they didn't try to cuddle with it being a stray cat. And yes I have relatives in that God forsaken state!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
What would you do?

I read the posts before I watched the video - just wanted the hype to get me excited. I thought you guys may have been hard on the guys, but after watching here are some of the things I saw:

They had a chance to walk away when it disappeared around the corner. Instead they walked towards it to video it.
The lion was definitely interested, and looked to me to be set up in an ambush site. They are smart - I wouldn't doubt it lured them around the corner with his nonchalant saunter. It was awfully quick to get up on that rock, alert as ever.
The lion happened to sit next to a dead, similarly colored, tree. I wonder if that's an actual tactic they use?

Bottom line, lucky they didn't end up with a different story. Sheesh. Don't care what state they're from, it was dumb.

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would have been yelling and cussing at that cat with S**t running down my leg and a ice pick in my hand. Just saying ;:;boozer

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yup, they took the time to make good-bye videos, yet never took the time to wonder if this is "really a good idea".

I think, had it been me (and I'm not a smart man), after my wife read the article, I'd have had a rolling-pin shaped dent in my head, for being so stupid.

And yet, if the cat had attacked, and if one of those jokers had the foresight to be armed, they would perhaps have felt compelled to kill it.

- - - Updated - - -

I fish alone, at night, a lot along the Missouri river, and just every now and again, something will put a piss-shiver down my leg. Some scuffle just out of sight, some beaver-tail slap right behind me, once I heard a scrabbling behind me on shore, and when I turned around, something with shiny eyes was standing by my backpack. The eyes were a couple feet off the ground. In the light of day, I'm saying it was a raccoon standing on it's hind legs. But that night, I was purty sure it was a rotten little dead zombie with no legs, that had just crawled up and was waiting...

My point is, I don't tell my wife about these things, because she'd knock me over the head for being out there alone, at 1:30 AM.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use to do a bunch of night fishing on the river in waders. For some reason the Huffs Bluffs area always gave me the Hibbie jibbies a little more than the other areas I fished. One night I was down there all by my lonesome really crapping my britches for no reason other than being scared of the dark when while standing in current in my waders a floating log hit me from behind. If I remember correctly I had to go up to the truck and change underwear.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 197
  • This month: 161
  • This month: 148
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 95
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88