Helpless feeling

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
dang..that sucks. Think positive on your future job interviews. While alot of employers do want a certain basic skill set for a open position, a good number of employers hire for attitude and train for skill.....ie..you will have a better chance of getting hired with a good positive attitude and less skill than a person with great skill but a sucky attitude.

3geese4me

Honored Member
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Luckily, the military has in fact given me many skill sets. I've been trained to operate forklifts, large road graders, being able to do HR roles and most importantly it has taught me to just give it my all every day of the week. I see ward county has an opening for a heavy equipment operator. I know I could do it but I don't have my CDL.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Take a week and just get wasted, then sober up and get the kids. That’s my favorite advice.
Just kidding, you will get what you need, key is employers need you as much as you need them, if you market your skills properly, you will be working at a job you enjoy in no time.
I have spent my adult years mostly doing what makes me money, and fortunately making me happy.
Also a good woman makes life worth the occasional struggles you receive with every sacrifice. mrs johnr is truely a gift from God. This sounds like pussywipped advice, but after several women (bitches), a failed marriage, and time alone, I can say a quality partner definitely makes life worth life.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't get too bent out of shape over it. I'm sure it will lead to something good. You have a lot of good skills that will come in to play somewhere.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
sux, but with your resume, you will b able to pick and choose... i spent many years in management and being self employed... i went to work at an entry level position on the production side in the oil patch, make more money than i ever have, and work an 8 on 6 off schedule... it is simply awesome and nice to not b the boss for a change...

best thing is, i'm proud to say i've been employee free for 8 years...

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I was working for a contracting company as a data analyst for an oil and gas company. Went into work last night and my boss said thanks and that he was sorry.

I have a bachelor's degree in accounting and I am half way to my masters in IT. Looking to try and use my degree if possible. I live in Minot.
Unfortunately those IT and accounting jobs can be tough to find locally in the oil industry especially with layoffs and centralization to corporate offices. My company went through a ton of layoffs and it wasn’t fun. Unfortunately the contractors like yourself were the first to go. You could try to move out of the oil industry but the pay cut is harsh. Try to find a smaller company that might have accounting staff locally. These big corporations don’t care about the little guy and you are just a number no matter how much they try to tell you otherwise. Any job openings at Hess?

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's a straight kick in the balls, that's for sure, but there is always a better job out there, I can promise you that.

I got hired immediately after college and went to work in the oil field, first in a lab for a rather great wage, and then went on to work at a hydraulic frac engineer. For almost 3 years during the boom I made 5x the average north Dakota household income. I was fairly young and dumb and blew a bunch of that money. Out of no where I got laid off. I was blindsided. For about 48 hours my head was all over. Woke up one of those next mornings and went to work, sent myself back to school and got another degree in 6 months online. Went back to work at a Ethanol plant as an operator for about $15 an hour, got some more experience and then went on to a great company (Oneok) out of the killdeer area and tripled my wage. Gained some more experience and then found my dream job again back in a lab close to home for nearly the same wage. Overall though, the wage wasn't as important as being home every night in bed with the wife, and being closer to family and what not.

Sometimes these things are a blessing in the long run, and you'll hear that from a shit ton of people. Keep your head up and grind on my friend. You'll look back on this time in a few years and laugh!

3geese4me

Honored Member
Thank you to everyone who has messaged me and gave me leads on potential employers. I greatly appreciate all of the help and it has made my life immensely easier. I'm going to do some soul searching today, really find out what I want to do and then act on that. I'm torn on the fact that do I want to keep using my degree or maybe go another route that has a little better job security?

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ve been in your shoes before. It’s an awful feeling. My suggestion would be to take some time to clear your head. If you need to take just a simple job, not career-type if that makes any sense, to keep some money coming in that’s ok. Just don’t jump into something because the money looks too good to pass up. Better to take a few months to decide what you want to do with your life rather than regret decision later.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thank you to everyone who has messaged me and gave me leads on potential employers. I greatly appreciate all of the help and it has made my life immensely easier. I'm going to do some soul searching today, really find out what I want to do and then act on that. I'm torn on the fact that do I want to keep using my degree or maybe go another route that has a little better job security?

I know we've talked before about federal positions...have you explored that option? If you want/need any advice/assistance with USAJobs...federal positions (Minot AFB)...PM me. Hang in there...something will shake loose!

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member

Depends...do you really want a job in the field you have a degree? These days, unless you're an engineer or something, your degree tells an employer one thing: You're more dedicated than the average dude, educated and can grind it out for an extended period.

The position I'm in now had ZERO to do with my degree. In fact, I almost wish I could go back in time and get some sort of business management degree and gone down this path from Day 1. I have a communications degree. The most basic, vague degree known to the liberal arts. I was convinced it was my purpose, but I bounced through a few jobs and never felt satisfied, especially when those jobs were with white-collar corporate schmucks.

Don't let a degree force you into something you don't want to do. It can certainly be a stepping stone, and you should use it to your advantage. But tunnel vision leads to mediocrity. You seem like a fella who can wear a lot of hats and who has a solid background. My guess is if you sell yourself right, you can get a position doing pert near whatever you want!

njsimonson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been there. A year from now you'll look back and everything will be better for it. Going back and reading your follow-up, with that kind of education and know-how, you'll find something waaaay better! (Heck...become a consultant...the hours are better, the write-offs are great, your boss is awesome, and if the client doesn't take your advice, you still get paid!)

You'll go through the usual five steps of grieving, but don't get too down... if we get a warm up, imagine all the great fishing you'll have for the next couple months of unemployment. If I'd known how mine was going to end...I would have fished a whole lot more in the 4 months I was out of work in 2009! Did catch my first steelhead though - and biggest trout of any species - 27 inches.

What're you gonna do with the time God just gave you!? :)

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends...do you really want a job in the field you have a degree? These days, unless you're an engineer or something, your degree tells an employer one thing: You're more dedicated than the average dude, educated and can grind it out for an extended period.

The position I'm in now had ZERO to do with my degree. In fact, I almost wish I could go back in time and get some sort of business management degree and gone down this path from Day 1. I have a communications degree. The most basic, vague degree known to the liberal arts. I was convinced it was my purpose, but I bounced through a few jobs and never felt satisfied, especially when those jobs were with white-collar corporate schmucks.

Don't let a degree force you into something you don't want to do. It can certainly be a stepping stone, and you should use it to your advantage. But tunnel vision leads to mediocrity. You seem like a fella who can wear a lot of hats and who has a solid background. My guess is if you sell yourself right, you can get a position doing pert near whatever you want!

I'll just echo what Duck is saying. I know several people with degress that are not even doing what they went to school.
One example: Guy went to school to be a machinist, his dad had his own shop, they had didn't get along..so whats the guy doing now?
outside sales for an electrical supply house....so do they math...how does machinist school match up with doing sales??? nothing, he got his foot in the door because he knew someone working for the company, got buddy who went to college for welding....he's a blade operator now and was a mechanic before that. Another dude, went to school for diesel mechanic..manager of a lumber yard\store, he farms so the schooling come in handy do his own equipment. you get the point, something is going to pop up.
Sometimes I dwell that I'm not doing what I went to school for as a full bore career, then again I"m doing it on the side actually. Think outside the box.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
everything happens for a reason, pretty sure you will land on your feet.

3geese4me

Honored Member
I'll just echo what Duck is saying. I know several people with degress that are not even doing what they went to school.
One example: Guy went to school to be a machinist, his dad had his own shop, they had didn't get along..so whats the guy doing now?
outside sales for an electrical supply house....so do they math...how does machinist school match up with doing sales??? nothing, he got his foot in the door because he knew someone working for the company, got buddy who went to college for welding....he's a blade operator now and was a mechanic before that. Another dude, went to school for diesel mechanic..manager of a lumber yard\store, he farms so the schooling come in handy do his own equipment. you get the point, something is going to pop up.
Sometimes I dwell that I'm not doing what I went to school for as a full bore career, then again I"m doing it on the side actually. Think outside the box.

As the day goes on I start to realize what you said. As long as my degree would tie into what I'm doing somehow, I am ok. So, I could do anything in business. I could even be an electrician as I used to work on electrical circuitry on airplanes.

3geese4me

Honored Member
I went ahead and applied for a couple of positions for ward county. Hoping for the best!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 40
  • This month: 35
  • This month: 24
  • This month: 23
  • This month: 21
  • This month: 19
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 16
  • This month: 15