Hunting Clothes - Sitka

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can someone help me understand the layering system with hunting clothes, Sitka was just the one I chose for the title. Curious what other brands you've tried and like.

How does a guy go about starting to chip away at a clothing system that can keep you warm in November yet not sweating your ass off when you get to your destination?

Last edited:

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back my deer hunting days I would treck four miles into my destination before setting up on a hill over looking wooded draws. I always carried in my warm clothes and put them on when I cooled down from the long walk. Wool is hard to beat for staying warm and dry. I can’t comment on the high dollar new stuff. It’s probably a lot better then wool.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
At my age it is hard for me to comprehend the prices of the new cloths and then I look at where its made. Kind of scary. My mind goes to a scene where I see young kids in a sweat shop.
SORRY, didn't mean to drag this off the rails.

snow2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dress warm Cat,crank your hat down and jump on your utv,bo worries about sweating hiking in....apologies I had too,well actually first layer is a long sleeve moisture wicking tshirt in my case but big name clothing outfits like sitka,browning,real tree etc over rated in my book,agree ^^^ wool is still a staple as it breaths and keeps you warm even if its wet.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it really depends on your seasons of use and how your body deals with the cold. The base layers come in different weights. The mid to heavy weight with a vest is more than warm enough to walk in with. Most companies then have a lighter outerwear set and heavy one. The heavy stuff is too much for me, but in cold days I have to layer heavy with the lighter stuff. It’s hard with each company though.

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started using Sitka about 5 years ago when I got back into elk hunting. To each their own, but it is definitely not overrated for stuff like that imo. We have been doing horseback ride-in drop camps for archery elk and it is worth it for those type of situations to me without a doubt. Takes a bit to get dialed in but it will keep you dry. Can keep you cool when you need it and warm when you need it. Probably not necessary for every hunter but for mountain pack jobs gear is essential to not being miserable in everything a hunt like that can throw at you.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Base layer, mid layer, outer layer. You want moisture wicking fabrics for a base layer and mid-layer. The outer layer choice is all dependent on situation. Are you in the mountains and is there a storm coming in and it's bringing 35mph winds and rain/snow? In that case you want a wind-proof/water resistant outer layer.

These high-performance hunting clothing brands are geared for the "above average" hunting situations. It's all about weight and material. And you really start to understand it when you spend some time mountain hunting when you have limited space in a pack and you're hiking all day.

Most guys who say that it's no different then their goose down heavy parka and cotton long-johns from 1993 have never been in the situation the gear was designed for. And 99.9% of those people are "Expert-Level" road hunters come the 2nd weekend of Nov in ND.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Walk in cold then you put warmer stuff on. Having a wind proof layer is key so heat is not stripped from your body. Sweating is the enemy so I like the fast drying synthetic base layers. Not a big fan of merino it feels cold and clammy to me. I love my Sitka stuff I froze my ass if enough as a kid to appreciate paying for it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 204
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 61
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 43
  • This month: 34
  • This month: 33